Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Think they allrdy played today. And yday..
Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Think they allrdy played today. And yday..
damn!!! Thought the round of 16 started today. No wonder I couldnt find it anywhere on tv.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:05 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
When's the last time he has consistently played DM (as in defensive midfield)? My own recollection is that he's LB/ left-side CB for club, and LW for Austria.

And other than the likes of PSG, Man City, and Real, no team could really afford his wages without wrecking its wage structure.

Which probably means Man City then. Pep loves his ball-playing defenders, usually splashing at least 50 million Eur on one, every year. As there's no transfer fee to be paid, that 50 million Eur earmarked can go directly to wages. Pep also needs someone to take over for Fernandinho, and Alaba could fit there?
Part of the reason he considered leaving Bayern was that he was promised a shot at the #6 spot at his last contract extension, but never got it and instead saw Kimmich move from RB to that position. For Bayern, he only played the position a very few times. I don't watch Austria much, but given his class he naturally is given a position where he can contribute more to play making than a wing position, front or back, would allow.

(it is a bit stupid of him to be so fixed on position, I agree, especially as there are so few top fullbacks around, and being one of those has only helped his profile)

Correction: 50 Mio. saved on transfer fee means at least 80% of that available as a sign on bonus for him and his agent. That is not money saved for the club.

Also, there are wages and wages. Some are paid by the club, others come from sponsors in Form of shoe deals, exclusive brand ambassadorship and other even more creative ways. I recon he will stay at an Adidas sponsored club - they are notorious for orchestrating transfers (and managed to mess up a few promising talents careers in the process..)

Last edited by martl; 03-04-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:02 PM

Oh boy, six point gap between Inter and Milan now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
damn!!! Thought the round of 16 started today. No wonder I couldnt find it anywhere on tv.
Not sure you could have found it even had you started looking yesterday.

Certainly isn't available to watch on CBS (latest available episode was last year's final)
Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Part of the reason he considered leaving Bayern was that he was promised a shot at the #6 spot at his last contract extension, but never got it and instead saw Kimmich move from RB to that position. For Bayern, he only played the position a very few times. I don't watch Austria much, but given his class he naturally is given a position where he can contribute more to play making than a wing position, front or back, would allow.

(it is a bit stupid of him to be so fixed on position, I agree, especially as there are so few top fullbacks around, and being one of those has only helped his profile)

Correction: 50 Mio. saved on transfer fee means at least 80% of that available as a sign on bonus for him and his agent. That is not money saved for the club.

Also, there are wages and wages. Some are paid by the club, others come from sponsors in Form of shoe deals, exclusive brand ambassadorship and other even more creative ways. I recon he will stay at an Adidas sponsored club - they are notorious for orchestrating transfers (and managed to mess up a few promising talents careers in the process..)
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out on both fronts (his preferred role and the thing re: bonus). I'd never have though that the bonus could have been that high. I'd have imagined it to be somewhere comparable to what a final season move would cost (so for at 50 M rated player, say a 20 M in bonus instead of the full 50 M).

Also, this goes back a few years, but looks like you may be right after all re: Klopp running his team to the ground. It didn't even happen during the first part of the season this year, but it's like the old description re: how someone goes bankrupt: first slowly, then all at once. It's getting a bit tedious to watch these days. I hope Fenway has enough patience to allow him to rebuild.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:56 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Oh boy, six point gap between Inter and Milan now.

Not sure you could have found it even had you started looking yesterday.

Certainly isn't available to watch on CBS (latest available episode was last year's final)

Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out on both fronts (his preferred role and the thing re: bonus). I'd never have though that the bonus could have been that high. I'd have imagined it to be somewhere comparable to what a final season move would cost (so for at 50 M rated player, say a 20 M in bonus instead of the full 50 M).

Also, this goes back a few years, but looks like you may be right after all re: Klopp running his team to the ground. It didn't even happen during the first part of the season this year, but it's like the old description re: how someone goes bankrupt: first slowly, then all at once. It's getting a bit tedious to watch these days. I hope Fenway has enough patience to allow him to rebuild.
Some of those leaked player contracts make an interesting read.... I do remember, 20 years ago when "Bild" got hold of Deislers Bayern contract, out of memory: he got, on top of his salary, an advance payment of 20mio DM/10 Mio € a year earlier, in exchange for his promise to come to Bayern. Or take Bierhoff who, while scoring for Milan, was actually under contract in Salzburg, on a loan from Udinese (or the other way around)... These shenanigans iirc were not at all uncommon, partly to circumvent regulations viz. Club finances, but also, off course, to be able to make the most attractive offer to a player they wanted. Or take cologne who at a time had half the team hold fiscal residence in Belgium, who has a lower income tax, so they paid less salary while being able to offer the players more net.
Some of this is no longer possible due to stricter regulations, clubs have to be more transparent in their finances to meet FFP (even more so when they are organized as public companies like BVB) but I have no doubt at all that a few skilled accountants, financial advisers and consultants are still at work finding loopholes of the almost legal kind this is a cutthroat business.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:14 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Well, its not only Klopp these days.the top teams, be it Bayern, Pool, City or PSG, adopted that sort of high power football pioneered by Klopps BVB and the fatigue is or was very visible on most of them to some extent. Liverpool had a massive stroke of bad luck with injuries as well. Would be different situation had van Dijk, Gomez, Jota, Matip, Thiago or Keita been available consistently.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:40 AM

Nice!!!

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...tudio-analyst/
Old 03-06-2021, 11:55 AM

Oh la la.

That's unexpected. Perennial bottlers scores two on the Rekordmeisters in the first ten minutes

I can't think of the last time BvB scored two goals in a league match playing away in München

That said, BvB would still need three goals to get a point, I would think. Bayern has so many tools to pry open a defense.

Last edited by echappist; 03-06-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:20 PM

And just like that, it's now tied at two apiece
Old 03-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Cranky!

Haaland is going to Bayern, isn't he.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM
Strong Walker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Officials say he's not on the radar. Question of time before he makes a move for greener pastures but Lewa has a few good seasons in him and I don't imagine Haaland willing to take the back seat for a few seasons.
Shame from a Bayern supporters point of view because I can see him being Europe's top striker for a while, he's amazing. Best I've seen at his age maybe ever.
@Pool watchers, what substance is to the rumors about Salah considering his options?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:21 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
what substance is to the rumors about Salah considering his options?
I think everybody at Liverpool is considering their options, and questioning the fabric of the universe. Rarely have I seen a team in such freefall. We all knew VvD was a key player, but c'mon . . .
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I think everybody at Liverpool is considering their options, and questioning the fabric of the universe. Rarely have I seen a team in such freefall. We all knew VvD was a key player, but c'mon . . .
More than anything, it just seems like the front players (and this include the fullbacks) are taking extra second or two before deciding to do something with it. The worst is when one of them receives the ball in an advanced position, with opposing defense hauling to get back into shape. Instead of incisive action, they dawdle for a bit, allowing the opposing defense to get back into shape, before passing or taking on an opposing defender.

Also, there has been some rather atrocious passing in transition (Salah's giveaway vs Leicester comes to mind).

Or maybe they are all just absolutely knackered...
Old 03-08-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
"My dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds."
Old 03-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
"My dream is to win the Premier League with Leeds."
That's what a Bayern fan would lead one to believe

Jest aside, I think it would be City or PSG. No one else can afford the transfer fees