Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 PM

Memphis: Riding and other things?

We are doing some socially isolated travelling for Spring Break. Going to be in Memphis for a few days. How bike-friendly is Memphis? We are an experienced urban cycling family, so we can handle a little traffic, but it helps if there's some kind of cycling infrastructure. Any good gravel/dirt trails nearby? Any other family-friendly activity suggestions? We like to kayak too and are looking to rent for a few hours. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:54 PM

Probably meant for General Discussion section, but wanted to comment while I have some spare time.

Rides-wise, I would check in with the Memphis Hightailers. They have something almost every day of the week and have different groups that cater to different speeds.

Shelby Farms is pretty fun to cycle around, and also has a small lake you can paddle board on. They've also got a fun disc golf course.

Wolf River seems to be pretty fun as well, water activities wise!

Hopefully that gets you in a general direction
Old 03-03-2021, 01:15 PM

Oops! Can a Mod move this to General Discussion? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Old 03-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM

I will contribute but my info is dated as I moved away 10 years ago. I hope it’s changed but Memphis proper is not particularly bike friendly or maybe more accurately, bike aware. It took me years after moving away to lose the habit of looking all around me starting out from a red to green light (in my car) because of the routine of people just blowing through red lights without even slowing, or speeding up for that matter; just driving. I had way more close calls on my bike, and my car, living there than I did an equal amount of time living in San Francisco.

That being said, although I’m sure it’s developed more now, the downtown area south of Beale St is pretty chill and the 2 lane streets throughout downtown shouldn’t be too bad. North Parkway used to be my route from home in midtown to downtown, and it should be bike friendly, but it wasn’t due to cutthroat drivers, maybe that’s changed tho.

You could get some good family riding out in Shelby Forest, 20 min drive north of town and maybe some kayaking on the Wolf River at Mud Island, but it’s pretty industrial upriver of Mud Island. I wouldn’t plan on kayaking the Mississippi unless you’re hard core.

There is however, the most friendly bike community in Memphis I’ve encountered anywhere, including the bike racers.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:55 PM
BikeTech

Memphis City Tour I shot in 2020.

https://youtu.be/ZHN5o7rYThI
Old 03-03-2021, 07:15 PM

Memphis: Riding and other things?

I live in Midtown Memphis, and there's some good info already posted in the thread. The city has gotten MUCH better over the last 10 years, not only in cycling terms but overall.

What part of town are you staying in?

Hightailers is a great recommendation by Jason. They're our main cycling advocacy group here.

There are great routes using the Greenline, Shelby Farms, Shady Grove and Wolf River Parkway. For family outdoor stuff, Shelly Farms is going to be your home base. That's where the most MTB trails are, plus Hyde Lake for kayaking/paddle board rentals.

Hit me up anytime for any specifics or route planning ideas.

There are also 2 great climbing gyms, Memphis Rox (in midtown) and Highpoint Climbing (near Shelly Farms). The Zoo here is pretty good IMO, along with the whole Overton Park area (in midtown). Good food in Overton Square, Cooper Young and Crosstown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by BRad704; 03-03-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 PM

In the ‘other things’ category - what about Mud Island and Big River Crossing?
Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
In the ‘other things’ category - what about Mud Island and Big River Crossing?

Mud Island doesn't have much going on these days. The river walk is still there and is still neat, but I'm not sure if it's even open right now. Near Mud Island is Tom Lee Park, right along the river. Big, wide open park with a meandering sidewalk all around it.

Big River Crossing is a good one. It's a walking bridge over the Mississippi River into Arkansas. You can walk or bike and it's a popular spot. Once in Arkansas, you can get to the only spot of gravel that's quickly accessible by bike. It's not much but I can send Strava routes if anyone wants to do that. Unfortunately they paved half the gravel loop "to provide better accessibility to more people". But it's still a nice ride from downtown.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Thanks! We will be staying right downtown, are there good neighborhoods we can check out via bike nearby? We are cafe/record/book shop aficionados.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Thanks! We will be staying right downtown, are there good neighborhoods we can check out via bike nearby? We are cafe/record/book shop aficionados.
Riding Main Street is a nice casual cobbled route, but there will be red-lights every 50m or so.

Nothing notable to the South of downtown for visiting.
West would get you across Big River Crossing over the river. Prob 20-40 miles easily depending on what you want to ride. There's a Marion Loop that goes up through Marion, AR. Nice flat farmland.
North heads up to Shelby Forest, not the best roads getting there, but once at the park, it's great hilly forest riding. Count on a 50-ish mile ride for that.
East will get to Midtown and toward Shelby Farms if you want to ride 30-40+.

For neighborhoods and stops,
- Mud Island has a community called Harbor Town that includes a little quick stop store called Ms. Cordelia's if you need to grab a snack, or water, or beer mid-ride.
- Downtown South Main Street has lots of good food (Arcade for breakfast is always a classic), a Trek store, and Bluff City Coffee.
- Beale Street is what it is... I think they have barricades up so you can't ride it anymore unless it's early morning.
- Midtown (maybe 4 miles ride from downtown)... Cooper Young has another Bluff City Coffee, Revolutions Bike Coop (only open certain days), lots of good food. Imagine Vegan if you're into that, or even if not, it's still good food. Young Ave Deli is a restraunt/bar with good food. Also Railgarten is an outdoor bar/venue with good food.
- Midtown (also 4-5 miles from downtown) is Overton Square. Little boutique shops, Lafayette's is my fav music and food spot in the whole city, Otherlands is a very hip/grungy/local type coffe shop on Cooper Ave. And Breakaway Running is the best local running specific shop in case you want to browse anything like that.
- Overton Park is also in Midtown and has the Brooks Art Museum, Zoo, some light offroad trails, paved pathways, a light gravel loop that's mostly for running (only 1.3 miles around). and the neighborhoods around it are very "old memphis".

I'm in Annesdale Park, which is beside Central Gardens. These are the 2 oldest planned communities in the city, dating back to 1902. Nice to ride easy through and look at the old 4squares on the way to Otherlands IMO.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:58 PM

That’s very cool that you can ride across the Mississippi now. I used to do a bike race in West Memphis, AR every year. Pancake flat and windy as hell. Let your attention wander for a few seconds and you’d be toast.

Otherlands was our favorite coffee shop back when. Ms Cordelias is a good place to pick up a sandwich and picnic in the park by the River watching the barges go by. The Kwik Chek (yes spelled like that) on Madison in Midtown is a hole in the wall convenience store but has kick ass sandwiches.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:19 PM

...And you can run up to Ft. Pillow State Prison and eat lunch with the prisoners for a nominal fee!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
That’s very cool that you can ride across the Mississippi now. I used to do a bike race in West Memphis, AR every year. Pancake flat and windy as hell. Let your attention wander for a few seconds and you’d be toast.

Otherlands was our favorite coffee shop back when. Ms Cordelias is a good place to pick up a sandwich and picnic in the park by the River watching the barges go by. The Kwik Chek (yes spelled like that) on Madison in Midtown is a hole in the wall convenience store but has kick ass sandwiches.

Was that the Crosswinds Classic? Usually the first semilocal road race of the year. And windy AF.

Kwik Chek is awesome. I think they are only doing to-go now because of Covid.