Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 02:56 PM

Chinese CF wheels

I was thinking of getting a disc TT wheel from lightcarbon.com, but I read that light bicycle is the more reputable CF builder. Those wheels arent much cheaper than Hunt's wheels though for regular wheels...

Any good place to poke around that anecdotal quality reports? Im less worried about the disc wheel than I would be about regular wheels, tbh.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaster View Post
I was thinking of getting a disc TT wheel from lightcarbon.com, but I read that light bicycle is the more reputable CF builder. Those wheels arent much cheaper than Hunt's wheels though for regular wheels...

Any good place to poke around that anecdotal quality reports? Im less worried about the disc wheel than I would be about regular wheels, tbh.
Not sure what the issue is? Light Bicycle makes darn good rims and with quality hubs, they last a lifetime. Not sure if Hunt wheels are any better.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:09 PM

Hunt wheels are made entirely in Taiwan. Which is fine, as is Made in China.
What was the question?
Old 12-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Caveat emptor - for all the positive reviews you'll find some horror stories and I'd be way more inclined to ride a disc set than anything rim-brake. The issue isn't necessarily with the rims or wheel builds themselves, but lack of QA and warranty issues. There is a thread on WW wherein Carbon-Ti hubs were initially blamed for cracked hub flanges, only to later find that the wheels were way over tension from the Farsports factory.

I'll also say that I'd be leery of buying something higher end, such as Enve, Campy, etc. used. I've been burned first hand on some Enve 3.4s that I thought were a smoking deal, only to get them home and see what I confirmed was delamination of the brake track. Enve has excellent customer service, FWIW.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should just bite the bullet and get something reputable. There are lots of mid-range CF wheels from Specialized and Trek that are basically decent rims laced to a rebadged DT350 hubs. Certainly not hot ****, but at least you have decent support and warranty.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Caveat emptor - for all the positive reviews you'll find some horror stories and I'd be way more inclined to ride a disc set than anything rim-brake. The issue isn't necessarily with the rims or wheel builds themselves, but lack of QA and warranty issues. There is a thread on WW wherein Carbon-Ti hubs were initially blamed for cracked hub flanges, only to later find that the wheels were way over tension from the Farsports factory.

I'll also say that I'd be leery of buying something higher end, such as Enve, Campy, etc. used. I've been burned first hand on some Enve 3.4s that I thought were a smoking deal, only to get them home and see what I confirmed was delamination of the brake track. Enve has excellent customer service, FWIW.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should just bite the bullet and get something reputable. There are lots of mid-range CF wheels from Specialized and Trek that are basically decent rims laced to a rebadged DT350 hubs. Certainly not hot ****, but at least you have decent support and warranty.
I am likely to go buy Hunts for my regular wheelset (disc brake) - new, warrantied, gonna ride those in the winter/rainy season in the PNW.

Im more likely to penny pinch for a TT wheel which I'll race (and ride) 2-4 times a year!
Old 12-06-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I am likely to go buy Hunts for my regular wheelset (disc brake) - new, warrantied, gonna ride those in the winter/rainy season in the PNW.

Im more likely to penny pinch for a TT wheel which I'll race (and ride) 2-4 times a year!
Makes sense. There's very little that can go wrong with disc brake wheels and j-bend spokes.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Hunt wheels are made entirely in Taiwan. Which is fine, as is Made in China.
What was the question?
I think OP is asking the difference between lightbicycle.com and "lightcarbon"

Light Bicycle is the one that has always been touted as top tier Chinese carbon, along with Winspace/Hyper, Farsports, Nextie, BTLOS

That said I am unsure if it is a genuine question from OP, they may be seeding the website/brand for search engine optimisation purposes. I only say this as they have a low post count.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:46 PM

I've built several sets of wheels with Light Bicycle AR46 and AR36 rims which have been very high quality and easy to build. Recently I had a set built by the lightbicycle North America group which come out of Vancouver Island BC. Mostly it was because I could get AR46 rims laced to DT240 Centerlock hubs with Sapim d-lights for about what it would cost me to build them myself with DT350 hubs. The wheels were delivered true and round with good spoke tension.

I have no experience with other brands but lightbicycle is good. I was also considering BTLOS based on feedback here (and I like assymetric rims for disc builds).
Old 12-05-2021, 08:48 PM

Think OP is genuinely asking a question. Doesn’t seem to be anything untoward going on here? Damn y’all.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I think OP is asking the difference between lightbicycle.com and "lightcarbon"

Light Bicycle is the one that has always been touted as top tier Chinese carbon, along with Winspace/Hyper, Farsports, Nextie, BTLOS

That said I am unsure if it is a genuine question from OP, they may be seeding the website/brand for search engine optimisation purposes. I only say this as they have a low post count.
I'm a new poster here, def not looking for SEO. :-D

I started down the path of getting a price quote from light /carbon/, thinking they were light /bicycle/, one of the reputable Chinese CF companies. I then realized my error -- but the LC quote for a rear disc TT wheel was a couple hundred less than LB. So I wanted to research LC's feedback online. It's been hard to find any discussion, even on Chinertown.

So my questions were, where's best place to find what my google-fu failed to find - LC quality discussions?

And secondarily, is my assumption that full disc wheel rim brake is generally more structurally sound than regular rim/spoke wheels, true? So I can feel less picky (slightly) about that purchase?

By reference LB's rear TT disc is about $850, LC's wheel is $530, pre shipping
Old 12-06-2021, 10:41 AM

I picked up a rear disk TT wheel via AliExpress (Elite Wheels) this past summer along with an 88mm deep front wheel. I didn't really need the front wheel, but since it was so cheap I figured why not. I believe the wheelset was about $900 before shipping. My only real complaint about the wheels are the narrow internal width, but they have been flawless otherwise.

I was also looking at the Prime disk wheel on Wiggle (~$730), but they were out of stock at the time.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:19 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
since a bunch of people don't seem to be answering the actual question:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...97745#p1697745

there's a giant thread on lightbicycle with actual reviews
Old 12-05-2021, 09:46 PM

I thought this was an interesting video by GNC trying to trash a set of Winspace wheels
Fun to watch and informative
https://youtu.be/DFCPfbVC74M
Old 12-05-2021, 10:44 PM

Light-Bicycle

I don't know about Light Carbon- But I have lots of personal experience with Light-Bicycle wheels and rims. They are a good operation and make a quality product. Their complete builds are also good-
Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 PM

Weight weenies also has a long thread about farsports wheels. I have 2 sets with one on the way. Many thousands of miles on my farsports wheels without issue. Lightweight, durable, affordable. The big brands are laughing all the way to the bank charging north of $2500 for plastic wheels.