Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
Probably had to LACMA and La Brea tomorrow, since it looks like more rain.
You should take a nap under this - the San Andreas Fault is pretty far east of the LA area, so I doubt it would fall on you.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
No Disneyland for us.

We landed, finally got the rental ("sweet" upgrade to an Impala ), headed to Venice. Ended up grabbing some tacos and ceviche from a truck on Rose...La Isla Bonita...pretty decent stuff...excellent Buche and Carnitas...they were sold out of Al Pastor and Chicharrones, unfortunately!

Just chilling in the rental now...heading out in the rain for coffee shortly.

Trying to decide if I can fit Korean BBQ in my gut tonight.

Got reservations @ The Eames House Thursday morning.

Weather looks OK for Thurs and Fri.

-Mark
After spending all day walking around the tar pits and museums, you will be ready for all you can eat Korean BBQ!

Cant beat this recommendation by an actual Korean....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...2&postcount=12

If you can fit it in, Ken is right about the Peterson Museum. It's been completely renovated recently and a really great place to see amazing cars ( if your into cars, it's a must see ).

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 03-21-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 PM

Park's BBQ has very good meat. Start with the thin brisket, make sure they get a charred edge. Dip into sesame oil and salt. Good energy too. Very packed. Reservations are a must. Do not confuse this Park's with the same-named Park near DTLA which is a Filipino BBQ joint (decent not great, sorry).

Chosun Galbee has the best architecture (feels sort of like a resort) but very stingy with the pan-chan (the side dishes). It's all about the meat (good) and the high ceilings and monochromatic linen tunics. But it doesn't have a fun energy. It's to impress visiting parents at graduation.

Genwa has the best-looking (and tasty) array of side-dishes (I think 20+ comes with each meal) and the main food very good too. It's decor is easily one of the most "presentable" for, ahem, westerners. Closest to LACMA, Tar Pits, Petersen.

One thing to amuse you, is that there are Koreans who judge a restaurant by its side dishes (the former Sa Rit Gol on Serrano/Olympic was champs, didn't hurt there were multiple grandmas behind the kitchen curtain) rather than the "main" stuff.

I'm quite fond of BCD. It's an LA/stateside invention that has a fan base back at the motherland and reverse-sprouted offshoots there... friends from Korea have (amusingly) insisted on visiting even on 1 night layovers. It's not an "event" eating outing... so may not appeal to non-Koreans so much. It's normal (Korean/non-bbq) food (specifically, tofu stew in many variations) done simply and well, with no fetishizing, and yes probably a little bit of industrial scale editing. Emphasis on the tofu, which imo is very satisfying. Order the soon doo boo (tofu stew) with the beef+shrimp broth, or just go all spicy; then be sure to crack the egg into it and let that cook (not completely) while you try their pickles and fermented salty briny teeny sea creatures coated in pepper sauce. The original/main location on Western near Normandie is full 24/7... great hangover food just go see the groggy crowds at 5am thru bkfast time.

Agree that Din Tai Fung here isn't as good as Taipei. But that falls into the category of First World Problems. My mother blames this on the fact that US health inspectors won't allow the dumplings to be steamed in bamboo baskets (stainless here). If you look at the menu you will see each item is numbered (1 thru 99-ish) but a few numbers are missing... If you go to Taipei the menu has every number. Still the sauteed string beans are superb; blistered and crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Chinese gastronomy is all about texture. Then again so are sandwiches and good salads. But I digress... what's wonderful about all the food at DTF is that you can taste Every Different Ingredient that makes up the whole dish (try the pork and shrimp shu mai); unlike crappy C-food that tastes like brown sauce smothered every nuance.

I know this is a bit late to the game... but if driving to SLO... go half hour further west to check out Montana de Oro State Park... the bluffs are One Of The Most Beautiful Places on this coast. Even if you just have an hour, park by the white ranch house (good historical display inside) and walk/bike the bluffs... they do not disappoint whether sunny, rainy, or cloudy. Very family friendly. Nature is truly awe-inspiring. You will probably see a ton of wildflowers along the way, and there, this time of year (the "Oro" comes from the wildflowers).

Quote:
I think I found that KoreaTown list I was looking for...Can anyone give any input about these recommendations from the article???

TIA
-Mark

BCD Tofu House. $$; 3575 Wilshire Blvd.; bcdtofu.com
Chosun Galbee. $$$; 3330 W. Olympic Blvd.; chosungalbee.com
Dansungsa. $; 3317 W. Sixth St.; dansungsausa.com
Elephant Snack Corner. $; 901 S. Western Ave.; 323/734-3359
Gook Hwa House. $; 3525 W. Eighth St.; 562/714-8562
Ma Dang Gook Soo. $; 869 S. Western; 213/487-6008
Park’s BBQ. $$$; 955 S. Vermont Ave.; parksbbq.com
The Prince. $$; 3198 ½ W. Seventh St.; theprincela.com

Last edited by ispy; 03-21-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 AM

Mark, the Paceline Weather Gods are your side. This has been the first week all season, the forecast for rain has been off.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
No Disneyland for us.

We landed, finally got the rental ("sweet" upgrade to an Impala ), headed to Venice. Ended up grabbing some tacos and ceviche from a truck on Rose...La Isla Bonita...pretty decent stuff...excellent Buche and Carnitas...they were sold out of Al Pastor and Chicharrones, unfortunately!

Just chilling in the rental now...heading out in the rain for coffee shortly.

Trying to decide if I can fit Korean BBQ in my gut tonight.

Got reservations @ The Eames House Thursday morning.

Weather looks OK for Thurs and Fri.

-Mark
Getty is near Eames, and well worth the visit - views are amazing and the art can be pretty decent too!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
Getty is near Eames, and well worth the visit - views are amazing and the art can be pretty decent too!
The Getty's architecture alone is often the reason people visit. I think you have to make a reservation for parking but it's all free: parking and admission. If I lived nearby I would go just to eat in the restaurant. The food is very good and the view is spectacular.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Mark, the Paceline Weather Gods are your side. This has been the first week all season, the forecast for rain has been off.
Really? Doing GMR on the BikeMS fredcentury Saturday and looks like there's still a chance.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:12 PM

You're good for Saturday. Early in the week, the forecast was for rain Tue, Wed and Sat. Last two days have been crystal clear. Rained on and off Tue. Weakest storm of the season. Gracias a dios.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 PM

Went to Eames House this am...Had some nice conversation with the ladies there...nice morning.

Headed over to Santa Monica Pier, for the kid...let him have a little fun in the arcade...ate some 2nd rate STL/griddle/Shake Shack wannabe burger and then headed to Gamble House...nice tour, albeit slooow.

Was surprised at how dark/unlit the interior was ("Mrs. Gamble had eye problems"). Also checked out the FLW Millard House, as best we could...Would love to see the inside of that one...very interesting house, that I was not familiar with.

Grabbed some coffee in Old Town and then cruised over to Echo Park and SilverLake.

Ended the evening gorging ourselves at Hae Jang Chon...We all enjoyed it.

TA
-Mark
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Went to Eames House this am...Had some nice conversation with the ladies there...nice morning.

Headed over to Santa Monica Pier, for the kid...let him have a little fun in the arcade...ate some 2nd rate STL/griddle/Shake Shack wannabe burger and then headed to Gamble House...nice tour, albeit slooow.

Was surprised at how dark/unlit the interior was ("Mrs. Gamble had eye problems"). Also checked out the FLW Millard House, as best we could...Would love to see the inside of that one...very interesting house, that I was not familiar with.

Grabbed some coffee in Old Town and then cruised over to Echo Park and SilverLake.

Ended the evening gorging ourselves at Hae Jang Chon...We all enjoyed it.

TA
-Mark
Glad you enjoyed my suggestions! And that the weather was ( albeit a little cold ) a sunny and beautiful socal day.

Did you make it to The Peterson or The La Brea Tar Pits?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 AM

We went to the tar pits on Wed...no Peterson.

Heading up the PCH in a little bit...

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Glad you enjoyed my suggestions! And that the weather was ( albeit a little cold ) a sunny and beautiful socal day.

Did you make it to The Peterson or The La Brea Tar Pits?