Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 AM

RE: Weather...Not severe, just gray and rain...

That's not very SoCal!

Thanks,

-Mark
Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM

I know tons about OC (Ive lived here my whole life) and tons about SLO (I spend loads of time up there).

If you want ride details or tourism info, just PM me.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Coffee in Venice: https://www.groundworkcoffee.com on Rose.

Nice restaurants, interesting scene on Abbott Kinney in Venice.

Local taco joint where the gardners go: Campos Tacos on Washington in Culver City ( very close to Venice ).

Canal streets in Venice: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni...toric_District

Interesting Frank Geary houses and buildings in Venice and Santa Monica: http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...ach_House.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehry_Residence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars_Building

I don't think you will find the weather anywhere as severe as in the Midwest.

Enjoy!
100x yes to AK
100x yes to Canal Streets in Venice and even MDR
100x no to Campos. Getting tacos there would be like only going to Ray's in NYC.

Check out La Estrella on York since you'll be in Highland Park
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...d-park-5079572

A taco truck as the No. 1 spot? Well, yes. In fact, we probably could have made this entire list up of taco trucks, because Highland Park boasts some of the absolute best in town, and Tacos La Estrella stands out even among stiff competition. For $1.40, you get two or three of the best bites of food you could ask for. The meats are tender and delicious, the tortillas warm and sweet, the salsa tangy and smoky, the onion and cilantro scattered in just the right way. There's a particular magic to a perfect street taco, and La Estrella has it down. No wonder it has thrived on this York Boulevard corner for more than 20 years. Here's to 20 more.

If you want a more "elaborate" yet authentic Mexican meal, try El Huarache Azteca, also on York. Cash only, quirky as only Chilangos can be (Chilango = resident of Mexico City).

As for "Little Armenia," well, even Armenians avoid that area. And don't waste time in Glendale (largest immigrant Armenian community in the US). But if you want an Armenian experience, check this place out:

http://edengardenbarandgrill.com/mediterranean-cuisine/

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-16-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Thanks.

I can avoid Little Armenia...I just need some decent lamacun!...literally, not available in the STL.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
100x yes to AK
100x yes to Canal Streets in Venice and even MDR
100x no to Campos. Getting tacos there would be like only going to Ray's in NYC.

Check out La Estrella on York since you'll be in Highland Park
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...d-park-5079572

A taco truck as the No. 1 spot? Well, yes. In fact, we probably could have made this entire list up of taco trucks, because Highland Park boasts some of the absolute best in town, and Tacos La Estrella stands out even among stiff competition. For $1.40, you get two or three of the best bites of food you could ask for. The meats are tender and delicious, the tortillas warm and sweet, the salsa tangy and smoky, the onion and cilantro scattered in just the right way. There's a particular magic to a perfect street taco, and La Estrella has it down. No wonder it has thrived on this York Boulevard corner for more than 20 years. Here's to 20 more.

If you want a more "elaborate" yet authentic Mexican meal, try El Huarache Azteca, also on York. Cash only, quirky as only Chilangos can be (Chilango = resident of Mexico City).

As for "Little Armenia," well, even Armenians avoid that area. And don't waste time in Glendale (largest immigrant Armenian community in the US). But if you want an Armenian experience, check this place out:

http://edengardenbarandgrill.com/mediterranean-cuisine/
Old 03-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

One of Mark's vacation pictures from CA:

Old 03-16-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
One of Mark's vacation pictures from CA:

Seen daily...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:37 AM

i'm a transplant to LA so not as in-depth as some folks, here are my 2 cents

-never thought of my area (Pasadena) as that "hip" but so be it...Old Town is decent and convenient to hang around.

-Speaking of Jonathan Gold - he is known for highlighting a lot of the ethnic/off the beaten path cuisines. If you want to venture into K town, or San Gabriel/Alhambra/Monterey park for Sichuanese, hunanese, shanghainese, or cantonese food, read his column in the LA Times or LA Weekly.... The problem is, K town is near, and convenient; the other stuff is all the way over by Pasadena

-FLWright - I think a lot of his places are private residences, but the Barnesdale Art Park is a quick 1 hr jaunt in sunset/silverlake area.

Venice, Manhattan beach, SM area food- I like Gjellina in AK (Italian), but there are a lot of good places. Father's office for beer/burgers in Santa Monica. There were a few other places there that were not bad, can't remember, Cassia for American/Viet food hybrid? If you want to trek to Manhattan Beach, Little Sister and Fishing w/ Dynamite are good. Intelligentsia in AK. If in SM, might as well head to the Getty for a few hrs.

N/Naka is near SM, in Culver City, and is probably one of the greatest restaurants in America...but impossible to get a table. There are a few legendary sushi places around in the SM, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood area...just c an't remember which ones... (LA also is one of the largest concentration of Japanese Americans in the US, I think),

Echo Park/Silverlake/etc - there's an Intelligentsia there, I would say my favorite places are Night Market + Song (Thai), Pine and Crane (Taiwanese), L & E Oyster Bar, Black Hogg, there's also Cafe Stella which is OK, standard French Bistro stuff. Echoplex and a few other dive places for live music. Hotel Cafe is near-ish there. Providence is near as well, which apparently has been the highest rated restaurant in LA for a while but that is expensive. New Daw Yee myanmar place for burmese, i'd check that out if you can...lots of boutiques and places to walk around...

The drive-route I would suggest for Friday would be go thru Ojai first, then up Rt 33 all the way up to Rt 166, head west, then south on 101, then go east 246 thru solvang, then down 154 to santa barbara. Get dinner in SB - tons of great places downtown, I like Sama Sama Noodle Bar, but there are a lot of options. There may be wineries along the way but I'm not the expert in those (it's a mini-wine country area). Then you can head back on 101 at your leisure.

K-town: don't remember too well, maybe Ook Kook for all you can eat BBQ, Park's BBQ for the nicer meat, Beverly Tofu for nice savory tofu-stew, um, um, there's this boiled pork place nearby, but I can't remember, Kobawoo House or something like that, Ham Ji Park for pork stew, Seongbukdong for sweet braised ribs.

Coffee - Verve has been mentioned, that's in west hollywood on 3rd street which has a few nice places to walk around (near Melrose Place!), Go Get Em Tiger which has branches on LArchmont at Hancock Park(near K-town) and Downtown LA (if you go downtown, Grand Central Market is worth a stop, also across the street from the Bradbury Building which is famous in Blade Runner). Stumptown has a location in the DLTA Arts district, and Intelligentsia in PAsadena/Silverlake/AK. For architecture, I would also nominate DTLA - ignore the run down street fronts but soaring high up are some might impressive art deco and modernist skyscraper architecture...

If you do end up trekking to Pasadena, agree w/ Gamble house, Huntington Lib, Norton Simon museum, eats: Union for italian, Racion for spanish, Lost at Sea for seafood, The Raymond/1886 for drinks, red taco truck that parks nightly at the Nishiwa Autor Repair lot on Fair Oaks, Takuya or Ramen Tetsunoya for Japanese, Golden Deli/Vietnam House/Vietnam for Viet food, Chengdu Taste or Sichuan Impressions for Sichiuanese, Hunan Mao for Hunanese, Din Tai Fung or Hou Tou Xiang for dumplings, Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe (might have a new location in silver lake) for burmese, um, there's a bunch I'm probably forgetting.

Alternate suggestions: rather than Griffith (more history, touristy, Rebel w/o a Cause, Hollywood sign, yada, yada), can consider driving up Angeles Crest to Mount Wilson Observatory...much better views, may see some cyclists up that way.

Hikes: Mount Wilson Observatory Road, Eaton Canyon, Millard Canyon, Altadena Crest, Temescal Canyon, anything in Malibu...

Beach: my favorite is Point Dume in Malibu although you will have plenty in venice/manhattan/hermosa

Note, I just realized; some of the above suggestions may not be kid friendly....

Note 2: sorry, got carried away.

Last edited by tylercheung; 03-17-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
For a "transplant", that's a great write-up. A lot of very good suggestions.

A few things:
I don't really see the current appeal of AK "Boulevard" per se, but I guess a lot of people like the current iteration. As a walk/shop/gaze/eat street I do agree that it is 1000x better than 3rd Street Promenade, etc.

Jonathan Gold: ex-architect turned successful food critic...if only I too...I enjoy his recommendations.

M/Naka: the Netflix film (Chef's Mind or something) was great; she seems great; I have not yet been there.

Getty = great. Barnsdall = meh.
Huntington + Gamble + Norton Simon = 6 stars! Great grouping!

Father's Office is a good recommendation, as long as it is as fun as it was 15 years ago...it sure was fun then, after work on a Friday....

Your "Alternative/Hikes/Beach" recs are the best so far, imo. Point Dume...wow. + Zuma Beach and Neil Young.

The kids would love Boccali's outside of Ojai, from whichever direction.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

A few things:
I don't really see the current appeal of AK "Boulevard" per se, but I guess a lot of people like the current iteration. As a walk/shop/gaze/eat street I do agree that it is 1000x better than 3rd Street Promenade, etc.

Jonathan Gold: ex-architect turned successful food critic...if only I too...I enjoy his recommendations.
AK 2000 > AK Present. Miss you Tortilla Grill, Joe's, Soul Food and all the Mid-Century Modern dealers. Now, you have Intelli, a few high end restaurants and spots where you can buy $500 jeans. Euros and Rapha love it!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanks guys...More great stuff!

I'm going to cross-reference some of the K-Town suggestions to that article I was talking about, later tonight...see what you guys have to say!

TA
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post

-never thought of my area (Pasadena) as that "hip" but so be it...Old Town is decent and convenient to hang around.

-Speaking of Jonathan Gold - he is known for highlighting a lot of the ethnic/off the beaten path cuisines. If you want to venture into K town, or San Gabriel/Alhambra/Monterey park for Sichuanese, hunanese, shanghainese, or cantonese food, read his column in the LA Times or LA Weekly.... The problem is, K town is near, and convenient; the other stuff is all the way over by Pasadena

-FLWright - I think a lot of his places are private residences, but the Barnesdale Art Park is a quick 1 hr jaunt in sunset/silverlake area.

Venice, Manhattan beach, SM area food- I like Gjellina in AK (Italian), but there are a lot of good places. Father's office for beer/burgers in Santa Monica. There were a few other places there that were not bad, can't remember, Cassia for American/Viet food hybrid? If you want to trek to Manhattan Beach, Little Sister and Fishing w/ Dynamite are good. Intelligentsia in AK. If in SM, might as well head to the Getty for a few hrs.

N/Naka is near SM, in Culver City, and is probably one of the greatest restaurants in America...but impossible to get a table. There are a few legendary sushi places around in the SM, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood area...just c an't remember which ones... (LA also is one of the largest concentration of Japanese Americans in the US, I think),

Echo Park/Silverlake/etc - there's an Intelligentsia there, I would say my favorite places are Night Market + Song (Thai), Pine and Crane (Taiwanese), L & E Oyster Bar, Black Hogg, there's also Cafe Stella which is OK, standard French Bistro stuff. Echoplex and a few other dive places for live music. Hotel Cafe is near-ish there. Providence is near as well, which apparently has been the highest rated restaurant in LA for a while but that is expensive. New Daw Yee myanmar place for burmese, i'd check that out if you can...lots of boutiques and places to walk around...

The drive-route I would suggest for Friday would be go thru Ojai first, then up Rt 33 all the way up to Rt 166, head west, then south on 101, then go east 246 thru solvang, then down 154 to santa barbara. Get dinner in SB - tons of great places downtown, I like Sama Sama Noodle Bar, but there are a lot of options. There may be wineries along the way but I'm not the expert in those (it's a mini-wine country area). Then you can head back on 101 at your leisure.

K-town: don't remember too well, maybe Ook Kook for all you can eat BBQ, Park's BBQ for the nicer meat, Beverly Tofu for nice savory tofu-stew, um, um, there's this boiled pork place nearby, but I can't remember, Kobawoo House or something like that, Ham Ji Park for pork stew, Seongbukdong for sweet braised ribs.

Coffee - Verve has been mentioned, that's in west hollywood on 3rd street which has a few nice places to walk around (near Melrose Place!), Go Get Em Tiger which has branches on LArchmont at Hancock Park(near K-town) and Downtown LA (if you go downtown, Grand Central Market is worth a stop, also across the street from the Bradbury Building which is famous in Blade Runner). Stumptown has a location in the DLTA Arts district, and Intelligentsia in PAsadena/Silverlake/AK. For architecture, I would also nominate DTLA - ignore the run down street fronts but soaring high up are some might impressive art deco and modernist skyscraper architecture...

If you do end up trekking to Pasadena, agree w/ Gamble house, Huntington Lib, Norton Simon museum, eats: Union for italian, Racion for spanish, Lost at Sea for seafood, The Raymond/1886 for drinks, red taco truck that parks nightly at the Nishiwa Autor Repair lot on Fair Oaks, Takuya or Ramen Tetsunoya for Japanese, Golden Deli/Vietnam House/Vietnam for Viet food, Chengdu Taste or Sichuan Impressions for Sichiuanese, Hunan Mao for Hunanese, Din Tai Fung or Hou Tou Xiang for dumplings, Daw Yee Myanmar Cafe (might have a new location in silver lake) for burmese, um, there's a bunch I'm probably forgetting.

Alternate suggestions: rather than Griffith (more history, touristy, Rebel w/o a Cause, Hollywood sign, yada, yada), can consider driving up Angeles Crest to Mount Wilson Observatory...much better views, may see some cyclists up that way.

Hikes: Mount Wilson Observatory Road, Eaton Canyon, Millard Canyon, Altadena Crest, Temescal Canyon, anything in Malibu...

Beach: my favorite is Point Dume in Malibu although you will have plenty in venice/manhattan/hermosa

Note, I just realized; some of the above suggestions may not be kid friendly....

Note 2: sorry, got carried away.
Quote:

A few things:

M/Naka: the Netflix film (Chef's Mind or something) was great; she seems great; I have not yet been there.

Getty = great. Barnsdall = meh.
Huntington + Gamble + Norton Simon = 6 stars! Great grouping!

Father's Office is a good recommendation, as long as it is as fun as it was 15 years ago...it sure was fun then, after work on a Friday....

Your "Alternative/Hikes/Beach" recs are the best so far, imo. Point Dume...wow. + Zuma Beach and Neil Young.

The kids would love Boccali's outside of Ojai, from whichever direction.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Since you're in Venice with the kiddies Centanni Trattoria is a local-ish Italian joint that has something for everyone. Been there many times on the way back-and-forth between LAX and USC.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
AK 2000 > AK Present. Miss you Tortilla Grill, Joe's, Soul Food and all the Mid-Century Modern dealers. Now, you have Intelli, a few high end restaurants and spots where you can buy $500 jeans. Euros and Rapha love it!
Agree 100%.

Joe's was so good. Whatever happened to that place? Did they shutter or move?
Old 03-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Agree 100%.

Joe's was so good. Whatever happened to that place? Did they shutter or move?
Just a google search away: http://la.eater.com/2016/1/29/108739...-run-in-venice

And yeah, I ate there many times. Excellent!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:56 PM

^Joe's had the best brunch in LA. Only Hotel Bel Air could compete and mainly on location.

At least Hal's is still open. And The Brig, kind of.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM

AK is not something to go out of your way for.

Blue Star Donuts, located on AK, is worth the trip.

As was the Rapha popup.

Shadddup Beat.