Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2023, 07:23 AM

Narrow flared bar options

So,

I've been riding some entry level 36cm deda bars for the past year, and I'm loving the narrow position, but the bars feel a little flexy for my taste. I'm sure the higher end deda stuff feels better, but I'm now tempted by something like the Enve Aero bars, which I could ride as 35cm on the hoods, and 40cm at the drops. I'd love to try a set of narrow, flared bars, but the price on the Enves is... ouch...

Any other options out there for narrow (36cm or less on the hoods) flared drop bars? Doesn't need to be as flared as the enves.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:06 AM

Looks like the pro vibe pursuit is exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find a set in stock anywhere...
Old 01-02-2023, 08:10 AM

I had this same dilema earlier.

I like 38s on my road bikes so wanted to atay the same on the gravel rig.

Not much is available really. Found some salsa cowbells in 38 that I currently rockin on my beater/travel bike. They are great but wanted something with a flat top.

Ended up with Pro Discover bars in 40cm, they are a good fit for me and even in 40 I can barely squeeze my tent up front.

GL on the search.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:35 AM

What you're describing sounds like a traditional randonneur bar to me. Looks like Nitto has a 39 model. Depends how you feel about the slight rise.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:36 AM

The Pro Vibe Pursuit sound like they're what you're looking for. Keep in mind that they have a really long reach, so you'll more than likely need to size down on your stem length. I want to say that they measure out to like 105mm reach. Looks like eBay seller "mybicycleparts" has the 36cm version in stock. They're a legit store, with quick international shipping.

I've been on 36cm bars for a few years now and have tried many of the offerings out there. The Enve SES Aero Road bars are up there with the best, and one of the few that have any flare. Its now what I've got on three bikes... Two of them are the 35/40 version, and then I've got the 37/42 version on the gravel bike, where I was running 38cm bars for years. For those who might be looking for a flared 38cm bar, there is the option of the Cervelo AB09 Flared. It's what I've got on the Mosaic and they're going to be really nice; easy routing, good shape with modern levers, comfy tops.

***Revised: I see you mentioned not needing them to be quite as flared as the Enve bars... My go to prior to the Enve's were the PRO PLT Ergo Carbon. They're really comfortable, with a nice wide top that blends into the shifter perfectly. They have only 4ยบ of flare, and I didn't love them on a race bike, as in a sprint from the drops, the "swoop" back portion of the tops would hit my wrists... Not a real issue for most. Truly the only reason for moving on from them was the lack of room/ability to mount clip-on aerobars. The 38cm version has enough real estate on the center portion, but not the 36cm version. Again, not an issue for most use cases.

Last edited by Upcountry; 01-02-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:00 PM

Carbon 360/460: https://alexscycle.com/collections/r...hiro-handlebar
Old 04-03-2024, 06:26 AM

Anyone try these Ritchey skyline bars yet? They have narrow (38cm) options as well.

https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/handle...line-handlebar
Old 04-03-2024, 06:32 AM

I just installed a Bontrager RSL Aero bar that fits the bill.

It's been out of stock forever in the wider sizes, but 35/38 is available, and coming from 38's it feels great. This one hits all the marks for what I was looking for - carbon, aero, flared, reasonable reach and drop. Light, but not so stupid light you are worried you'll damage it from normal installation.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
I just installed a Bontrager RSL Aero bar that fits the bill.
Those look perfect shape-wise, but unfortunately electronic shifting only. Currently waiting for EXS R175 to be restocked
Old 04-03-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Those look perfect shape-wise, but unfortunately electronic shifting only. Currently waiting for EXS R175 to be restocked
What makes a bar electronic shift only?

Shift cables can always be routed externally, and while the internal routing holes on these are not huge, I think you could fit brake and shift housing through with some work, given my experience of fitting brake housing and a bunch of Di2 wiring internally.

They also make a much cheaper alloy bar with similar measurements. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Old 04-03-2024, 09:23 AM

I just got these:

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/us/road...rbon-handlebar

The only place I could find them in 38cm was an Ebay seller in Taiwan and they took 3 weeks to get here. I have only done one ride so far but I think they I will like them. I am not sure they make them anymore.