Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 03:46 PM
#RYFB

LF: first hand experience with Classified

I responded to @Spdntrxi in Dave's thread about gearing range; no response so figured I'd elevate to its own thread. I'm not interested in discussions about theoretical benefits and tradeoffs, rather looking to hear from those who have actually used it. A friend used it during last year's Rapha Prestige and had the hub fail, unable to shift to the lower ratio and with a lot of hard climbing ahead had to abort. I believe he was happy with the warranty service but that is the only sample I have.

Among my questions are:

- How is the shifting? Not just the internal hub shifts but the cassette (and what derailleur/chain/crankset/shifters combination are you using?)
- Which cassette option did you go with (number of gears and ratio)? Why, and how has it suited the riding you do?
- Which wheels did you buy?
- Did you do the build yourself?
- How has maintenance and reliability been?
- Do you think it's good value for money?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2024, 05:50 PM

Sorry I dont always revisit threads....

- How is the shifting? Not just the internal hub shifts but the cassette (and what derailleur/chain/crankset/shifters combination are you using?)

once I figure out the b-screw distance the shifting was great, I'm using Force D2 RD + shifters and that little tool SRAM has does not fit on the classified hub. I'm using Easton EC cranks and Wolftooth drop stop B 50t chainring. Flattop chain

The shifting is solid and fast.. probably better then a true 2x in the front to be honest. I shift with no concern whenever I want. The rear shifting is good too.

- Which cassette option did you go with (number of gears and ratio)? Why, and how has it suited the riding you do?

I went with their 12sp 11/40 but I also have the 12sp 11/32 that I am not using yet. The 11/40 is for gravel obviously and it suits it fine with the right front chainring. You are supposed to run atleast a 46t front with the 11/40 and a 40 with the others.

- Which wheels did you buy?

I got their G30 wheelset.. I also have another hub that I will have someone build in a Enve 4.5AR

- Did you do the build yourself?

The wheel no,

- How has maintenance and reliability been?

it's still early days obvioulsy with only a little over 150 miles on them, but they have been great so far... no complaints. Lots of gravel riding

- Do you think it's good value for money?

I paid roughly half of list.. so yeah not bad in my opinion, dont know if I'd go with their wheels to be honest but since they were on the cheap. To me I wanted the look of 1x but have 2x. I'd already been doing gravel with an 11/40 XTR cassette, so not big changes gearing wise. I was also after the axs dropper so that helped this happen.

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 03-18-2024 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:36 PM

Interesting concept, but the weight penalty makes it look not too worth it for road riding? If I’m reading it correctly the 50mms are 1.5kg WITHOUT the entire rear hub. And then you add both it, and the cassette?

Not to mention the other bits and ends that are needed for the system to work. I imagine it adds up to quite a bit, has anyone run the full numbers?
Old 03-18-2024, 06:44 PM

There's an existing thread if y'all wanna discuss here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=classified

Otherwise, let's try to respect the original poster's wishes and keep this about firsthand experiences? It's barely vaporware, so would love to hear more anecdotes than theories.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:18 PM

all said and done.. you are probably looking at a couple hundred grams penalty... the HUB is pretty heavy, the cassette is actually really light. The TA is the only other part that is heavier then normal counterpart.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:26 AM

I think it came out looking good.. with the Enve4.5AR it will look even better
Old 03-19-2024, 09:55 AM

Super nice...

Re: the original Q, C., I know that Veloworks over by me here in Venice is a rep/had a set of wheels built up. I haven't re-visited with him about it, but I'm pretty sure he's been out on a pair for a while... If you're over in this part of town, you may want to stop in and see what he says...

- Wolfman
Old 03-19-2024, 10:48 AM
#RYFB

@Spdntrxi, that looks really good. About my size too! If I’m up in the area to visit my brother I may pop by for a spin

@wolfman, thanks, I also saw that SuperSpeedShop in Santa Monica (barely) is also listed as a dealer. I may have reason to go in there soon so will see what they have on offer.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:08 AM

it's pretty much a Medium Parlee...
Old 04-03-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
There's an existing thread if y'all wanna discuss here:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=classified

Otherwise, let's try to respect the original poster's wishes and keep this about firsthand experiences? It's barely vaporware, so would love to hear more anecdotes than theories.
I think my questions are in alignment with the original post looking for feedback on real world usage, apologies if it does not come across that way. If OP wants me to bugger off, feel free to PM me. For future people looking into classified system I think it’s worthwhile having a real world experience thread.

Is there any concern with the internals wearing out after years? Saw a comment on weightweenies indicating there was… but having a hard time tracking where that came from

Forgot a question, how do you torque the rear axle properly? Just guesswork?

Last edited by Shane4XC; 04-03-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:42 PM
#RYFB

@Shane4XC, no problem, I'm interested in the answers to your questions as well, just want to avoid going down the weight weenie rabbit hole (appreciate your post above keeping us on track, @slowpoke).

For those, like @Wolfman, here in SoCal, I stopped by SuperSpeedShop last week and had a lengthy chat with them. They have a 56 ENVE Mog set up with the Classified system and are happy to let people test ride it, though I think that's more like an around the neighborhood toodle versus taking it out for several hours. They are putting miles on it themselves so are happy to talk about their experience, good and bad.

I'm still planning to have a chat with my friend who has a setup but he's been in Belgium for a while.