Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Tune Wheels/Hubs?

Tune is a company that has not really been on my radar, as I'm not usually a weight weenie or antyhing like that.

An interesting wheelset came across my feed for an attractive price, so I threw a bid out and won a set.

a 35mm set of wheels with aluminum rims, tune mig/mag hubs, cx-ray spokes and built in the tune factory coming in at a hair under 1500g.

https://www.eightyonespices.com.au/s...ew-tune-tsr-35

Question is, are these hubs well regarded for durability/serviceability? They spin perfectly now, but they are pretty new. I'm definitely going to roll some miles on them on my Serotta, but just looking to hear people's opinions on these hubs and wheels that may have longer term experience with them?

Old 03-27-2024, 03:55 PM

I had a really nice set of wheels on my Firefly that came from Paceline and were originally built by Fairwheel Bikes. Tune Mig/Mag hubs. Only thing i noticed is that one needs shims to set the play in the hubs, and it's hard to get them in the US. My rear has a tiny smiidge of play that I could feel by grabbing the rim and push/pulling it sideways, but I couldn't feel it while riding. I finally pulled the hub apart to see if the shims in there met the spec, and I don't recall the details but I do recall that if anything I measured less free play than suggested and therefore certainly didn't need to add a shim according to Tune's instructions.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:07 PM

I have been running Mig/Mag hubs in a custom wheelset for the last year and a bit and I have found them to be very nice, still spin really well, have not required any service yet.

One downside is the parts a really expensive once they wear out
Old 03-28-2024, 10:12 AM

The Tune hubs were all the rage 8 or 10 years ago on the Weight Weenies forum, especially among euro members. I think back then they were quite pricey, and good hubs but not on par with White Industries or Campagnolo. FWIW, I always thought they looked nice.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Tune is a company that has not really been on my radar, as I'm not usually a weight weenie or antyhing like that.

An interesting wheelset came across my feed for an attractive price, so I threw a bid out and won a set.

a 35mm set of wheels with aluminum rims, tune mig/mag hubs, cx-ray spokes and built in the tune factory coming in at a hair under 1500g.

https://www.eightyonespices.com.au/s...ew-tune-tsr-35

Question is, are these hubs well regarded for durability/serviceability? They spin perfectly now, but they are pretty new. I'm definitely going to roll some miles on them on my Serotta, but just looking to hear people's opinions on these hubs and wheels that may have longer term experience with them?

We've got two sets of the mig/mag skyline hubs here: one on BTLOS rims and the other on FarSports. The hubs themselves are decent enough, but part of the weight reduction included removal of a lot of features we take for granted on other hubs from CK or WI. So things like preload are set via mm-fractional shims, minimal sealing, very simple ratchet assy. We haven't had any spoke flange failures, so the shells themselves appear to be robust enough. I still wouldn't regularly ride these hard on bad roads and expect longevity, however.

One thing to be aware of as a wear item are the FH pawls: they're titanium and do wear faster than steel, so something that you'd normally never even think about now needs regular replacing.

I believe j_gantzer is a user and dealer with a Tune account and can probably get you spare parts.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:28 PM

Rode mig/mags for a couple thousand miles and had 0 issue with the hubs. You do need some tiny shims as stated above to adjust the hub if play develops (i think i needed one tiny shim after a few hundred miles, and then never needed one again). They also look super cool, especially if you get them in gold

Old 03-28-2024, 06:18 PM

This happened to a Mig70 hub on the front wheel of my pair of Tune Schwartzbrenner clinchers but it's the only Tune hub I've had fail since I started using them in 2007:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1275D.jpg (80.2 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by jbrainin; 03-28-2024 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:00 PM

I’ve been running the TSR 22’s for over a year now, I picked them up from Bike24. They have been solid. They replaced a set of BTLOS wheels on DT Swiss 240’s. They roll so well I haven’t felt a need to put the BTLOS wheels back on the bike.