Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2022, 07:21 PM

Aston Martin I think would be my bucket list car to own and drive. About 10 years ago I browsed the exotic car dealership in Lake Bluff IL with my kids. Just looking while visiting family, no intention to buy! I think it’s actually called Lake Forest Sports Car and might officially be a Ferrari dealership, but they also had a nice selection of AM, McClaren, and a couple of random others, including a Mercedes AMG SLS. At any rate, at the time, they apparently had no problem with me and my two boys browsing the showroom and poking around in the cars. Just mentioning as it might be a nice resource for those shopping Aston Martin.

Apologies for poor photo quality, this was with an iPhone 4 or some such.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBD82D53-E932-472A-AEF9-EB2E38F49D0A.jpg (68.5 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 8CDE500B-AC99-4C7F-8912-4678BFC05784.jpg (44.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 112DD086-1B08-49D6-8DD2-34D3F08EDF1C.jpg (71.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Jpritchet74, Yes...last night...after a couple of whiskies. I'm pretty excited! 2014 base Blue over Sandstorm. I'm trying to figure out how to get it from TN to CA. The most fun way (driving it home) is not an option.
I used Intercity Line to get my 911 from a fellow PLer in LA to Pittsburgh. I think it was $2k for enclosed transit in Jan of ‘21.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:53 PM

KarlC, I will as soon as it is in hand!

Thank you KyleH. I have a listing on uship open. I'll see how that goes.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:18 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
I used Intercity Line to get my 911 from a fellow PLer in LA to Pittsburgh. I think it was $2k for enclosed transit in Jan of ‘21.
it will probably be a lot more now a days for enclosed cross country
Old 11-08-2022, 07:26 AM
PegoNagos

This is exciting! I can't wait to see pics.

This thread has had me thinking about a V8V as well. But then I think maybe a Cayman..... and back and forth I go.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:44 PM

Jpritchet 74, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this because I go back and forth like you.

My Logic...and this has yet to be proven, is that there are a couple of camps in the car world. There is "big and loud" and there is "small and light"(yes funny that the cycling trends are going in the opposite direction--big and loud is on trend while we are all looking at our small and light bikes from the 1990's-2010's wondering what is happening!). As a cyclist, you can guess which one makes more sense to me!!!

This odyssey for me began when I rented a cayman gts for my birthday a few years ago. It was a complete waste of money because, I realized immediately, any "fun" car is just a great idea and I should have just spent that money on owning a fun car not borrowing someone else's. The gts was especially fun. Not loud, not flashy but very special. I was hooked.

Back to the argument, I see two two divergent trends in cars. One is the full-on celebration of old-fashioned engineering and all of the consequences of that sensibility. The vantage is perfect for that. A front (ish) large-engined coupe with a big-ol' loud exhaust and a 49/51 weight distribution. The proportions/handling/ergonomics all speak to that mentality. A big fast car that does what it needs to do...to do that thing. My gamble is that this will be special for a while and in the long run, extremely rare because it is NOT the way.

Then we have the Lotus mentality. Add lightness. Evora's and Cayman's fall into that type--especially emphasized by the 718 series. Small displacement motors that fit well into the middle of a car, don't weigh much so they don't stress physics before the game even starts and a potentially perfect 50/50 weight distribution. These have to be the future. They make the most sense--you get more fun from less impact. Who wouldn't go for that? The best example of this would be a first generation boxster that could be had for much less than the price of a new bike these days!

side note--I wish that batteries weighed less so that electric cars (instantaneous power and torque) could match up with the "add lightness" mentality and make a whole new driving experience that wasn't...15 miles/gallon. Maybe in the future there's a chance for small-batteried light cars to be the new sports cars. How perverse would that be (the smallness of the powertrain being the benefit??)

Regardless of what is happening right now, I think the "add lightness" camp is the right camp and all cars moving forwards will be lighter and faster than the old ICE model. So I'm hoping the Vantage will be a really cool piece of that old "big and loud" history that is chock-full of character, noise, dynamics, and a real sense of what driving an ICE car could be. And man....I hope that's the case because I just bought a really weird car!

All that to say, YOU get a Cayman and we can swap out 3-6 months at a time. The Aston is going to be an experience (kind of silly and embarrassing) big brash and beautiful --and a Cayman is going to be an elegant scalpel that is only limited by one's ability as a driver--who wouldn't want both? Who could decide?

For fun, I think that the mid-engined Cayman body looks perfect from front to back. The new 992'a are infuriating because they also look just SO good....
Old 11-08-2022, 07:48 PM

not that I have thought about this a lot.....not that I think about things like this a lot!

Thank goodness for Paceline! It is great to know that I'm not the only one.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:53 PM

It's supposed to look like this.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
+1 on Intercity. I used them to get my GTV from LA to STL.

Last edited by Louis; 11-08-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:15 PM

GTV is such a good-looking car!
Old 11-08-2022, 08:17 PM

I'm thinking Montway or SGTTransport. Getting unenclosed quotes for $1300 ish.
Old 11-09-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking Montway or SGTTransport. Getting unenclosed quotes for $1300 ish.
I shipped mine in the dead of winter and didn’t want it on an open trailer through the mountains and getting salt blasted. You might be in the clear of those worries if you get it soon.
Old 11-09-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you KyleH. I have a listing on uship open. I'll see how that goes.
Last year I went with a broker to move my new (to me) Cayenne from IN to MA. indy driver had an issue with his rollback trailer and my car arrived five days late. It sat in a parking lot in Newark for four days while the dufus tried to get his trailer fixed.

Pay the premium for Interstate (or similar). Then you end up with professionals who have well maintained rigs and backups. The cost isn't that much different, maybe a kbuck.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 11-09-2022, 01:45 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
GTV is such a good-looking car!
A red GTV, parked at the curb, graced my bike commute for a few short weeks. I miss it.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:48 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
...? The best example of this would be a first generation boxster that could be had for much less than the price of a new bike these days!
I bought a 2000 Boxster back in 2020 and it's so much fun! A thought about the Cayman is that it mostly duplicates the driving experience.

That's where the V8V is attractive - it's a completely different driving experience.

Off to BaT to look at V8V's now...