Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think a varia is much better than a mirror and it will look, mmmmmh, less dorky (I am being nice here, yall caught me on a good day).

But get whatever makes you feel safe and even with the Varia, its good to be attentive and look back a bunch but its excellent. Hands down the best thing I ever have bought as far as bike stuff goes. When it runs out of battery during a ride (doesnt happen often, battery life is excellent), I feel pretty weird about it and feel pretty naked... just like when I get into a car and not having a seat belt on or going for a ride without a helmet.

The light is also pretty excellent and everyone should be running a blinker when they ride. The cat ears also look ridiculous and what if you have a quite car behind you? The varia can detect 2, 3 cars coming from behind and it will show red when the car is going super fast. I know a lot of us here don't like tech but this is some of the best tech to come to bikes in a long time, specially if you ride alone most of the time.

if you do ride with people, you will win the game of "CAR BACK", no one will have the chance against you.
There is nothing more fun than dropping a "serious looking" group on a big climb who you can tell has this attitude that you are a dork with your mirror. Fun watching their faces in your mirror ....
Old 07-06-2020, 04:58 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've never used a mirror of any sort. My current routes have so many passing cars that I think it's time to get one. Any comments on the spin tech that fits in the bar end? Any other favorites?
How about figuring out a way to strap/velcro a small mirror to the back of your glove?

Small, unobtrusive, not dorky....well, maybe still dorky.

<kidding>
Old 07-06-2020, 05:07 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
There is nothing more fun than dropping a "serious looking" group on a big climb who you can tell has this attitude that you are a dork with your mirror. Fun watching their faces in your mirror ....
and that is fine and I respect anyone wanting to use a mirror, its their choice but it will not adorn my bike or my helmet. And if you dropped me (and I am sure you would) I would just wave at you because I could give 10 craps if you are a stronger rider than me or not. Buy you probably could not see my face in that tiny tiny mirror.

and lets be honest, now that you are talking about dropping serious cyclists, do we think the top 10 fast guys in the world have mirrors on their helmets or bikes? Even top 100 ridders? But like I said, it doesnt matter, use whatever you want to use thats why I said use whatever it makes you feel safe.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:10 PM
quadropheniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
+1 for the Sprintech mirror. I had a Berthoud and it was a piece of art, but it didn't play well with bars that have a small drop to the bar ends, like Nitto Noodles.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM

I fully appreciate everyone's interest in staying safe on the road. That's why i never leave home without my Dinotte Quad blazing.

Nonetheless, I'm genuinely curious about how a mirror keeps you safer. I understand that if you see a motorized vehicle appearing to be coming close to you via a mirror, how can you realistically react to avoid contact in these situations, i.e., how much of the time do you have a reasonable option to pull to the right without endangering yourself?

Any and all responses are appreciated.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
...(I am being nice here, yall caught me on a good day)....
Appears that ship has sailed ol' friend .

I use a Take-a-Look mirror, works for me. Waking up in a hospital 20 miles away four hours later with no memory made a mirror an easy (and essential) decision.

Last edited by donevwil; 07-06-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Appears that ship has sailed ol' friend .

I use a Take-a-Look mirror, works for me. Waking up in a hospital 20 miles away four hours later with no memory made a mirror an easy (and essential) decision.
I still <3 you.

And guys, being dorky is not a bad thing. I have some dorky bike moves too.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I fully appreciate everyone's interest in staying safe on the road. That's why i never leave home without my Dinotte Quad blazing.

Nonetheless, I'm genuinely curious about how a mirror keeps you safer. I understand that if you see a motorized vehicle appearing to be coming close to you via a mirror, how can you realistically react to avoid contact in these situations, i.e., how much of the time do you have a reasonable option to pull to the right without endangering yourself?

Any and all responses are appreciated.
On my 22 mile descent from Estes Park to Loveland, the slope is not steep enough to come even close to the speed that the cars are going. There are shoulders most of the way, but some areas are unusable due to rocks strewn onto the shoulder. If you come upon a bad shoulder, you could easily pull out in front of a car or truck going a lot faster.

The only other solution is to ride out on the road, going 20 mph slower than the cars and hope they don't run over you. Some drivers refuse to stay behind a bicycle, until they know it's safe to pass.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:40 PM

Probably the pinnacle of dorkiness but I could care less.
Would not ride without it on the road.
No need to turn my head, quick look to the left and I see what’s going on behind me.
And one is enough for all bikes.

Modified a Take A Look eyeglass mirror and attached it with silicone fusion tape to the helmet.
Has been bomb proof for 6 years...

Last edited by Gsinill; 07-08-2020 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added mirror info
Old 07-06-2020, 05:46 PM
That guy..

Having moved from my varia to the Berthoud mirror. I'll never have to worry about batteries.

I'd often forget to turn my Garmin off at work. Get back to the bike and either the head unit or light is dead.

Bar end mirror. Unless it gets stolen. It won't die.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 PM
ZhugeLiang

I use the Zefal spin mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-96018-M...57896438&psc=1
Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
On my 22 mile descent from Estes Park to Loveland, the slope is not steep enough to come even close to the speed that the cars are going. There are shoulders most of the way, but some areas are unusable due to rocks strewn onto the shoulder. If you come upon a bad shoulder, you could easily pull out in front of a car or truck going a lot faster.

The only other solution is to ride out on the road, going 20 mph slower than the cars and hope they don't run over you. Some drivers refuse to stay behind a bicycle, until they know it's safe to pass.
Yes, I understand the situation that you describe (I have a close friend in Loveland and I've driven that route numerous times, although I've yet to bike it). It seems then that the utility of the mirror in large part depends on the nature of the roads that you ride. In my area, i'm typically riding on roads close to the very edge or near to the curb with no place to safely go.

I never ride while listening to music and am typically quite aware of traffic approaching from the rear. I also frequently look over my shoulder if I'm trying to avoid potholes and debris. That being said, I'm certainly not always aware of how close vehicles may be tracking to me. Just last week I was passed by a dump truck pulling a trailer loaded with a backhoe, with the trailer being several feet wider than the truck; I nearly soiled my shorts as I viewed the trailer tires within two feet of me.

Be safe out there, whatever you do for enhanced protection.

Last edited by Spinner; 07-06-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:15 PM

are mirrors dorkier than...

flashing white and red lights? how about gaudy bike jerseys, butt hugging shorts, walking like a damn duck in road shoes, handlebar streamers, or playing cards stuck in your spokes. believe me all non-bikers think all bikers are as dorky as it gets. how did mirrors get to be at the top of the dork pyramid? you can't escape. dork up, stay safe however it works for you.

Last edited by eddief; 07-06-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
flashing white and red lights? how about gaudy bike jerseys, butt hugging shorts, walking like a damn duck in road shoes, handlebar streamers, or playing cards stuck in your spokes. believe me all non-bikers think all bikers are as dorky as it gets. how did mirrors get to be at the top of the dork pyramid? you can't escape. dork up, stay safe however it works for you.
I can make a list of most dorky to least if you want
Old 07-06-2020, 07:28 PM

+1 for the sprintech mirror and varia. I’m surprised how many times I don’t hear a car that the varia picked up many seconds before