Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
This comment is uncalled for.
I was joking. Sorry it didn't land for you. But honestly, if my tongue-in-cheek comment is the one in this thread that got your attention, I'm not sure what to say.

Last edited by akelman; 07-03-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
yes. thx.
You literally can't help yourself, can you? No matter how many times I ask you just to back off, you refuse. I honestly don't understand why I occupy so much real estate in your head. It's weird and, as I've said before, creepy.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
You literally can't help yourself, can you? No matter how many times I ask you just to back off, you refuse. I honestly don't understand why I occupy so much real estate in your head. It's weird and, as I've said before, creepy.
You get threads shut down on the regular because you are intolerant of other peoples views and make outlandish and uncalled for comments on a regular basis. I honestly cannot believe that you educate other human beings about tolerance since yours is non existent! I also cannot believe you haven't received a warning for antagonizing other members with said intolerance. I find you very offensive and that is the truth. How many threads need to be shut down because you make snide, rude remarks to others and yet no backlash from the mods!
Old 07-03-2020, 07:47 PM

no one honestly believes there's a magic bullet answer for this. forget state to state. district to district will have to find their own answers, each with their own flaws and merits. there's no getting around the fact that this fall every school district across the country will decide what compromises to make while balancing students' learning, students' health, faculty health, budgets, the pragmatics of lunches and bussing, etc.... for the districts serving poorer neighborhoods, there's a social services aspect to this that is a reality that can't be ignored for some, a non-issue for others.

again, there's lots of ideas. none are perfect.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
You get threads shut down on the regular because you are intolerant of other peoples views and make outlandish and uncalled for comments on a regular basis. I honestly cannot believe that you educate other human beings about tolerance since yours is non existent! I also cannot believe you haven't received a warning for antagonizing other members with said intolerance. I find you very offensive and that is the truth. How many threads need to be shut down because you make snide, rude remarks to others and yet no backlash from the mods!
Agreed. Let’s hope another thread doesn’t get shut down.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Let's be absolutely clear about something: you regularly post conspiracy theories, many of which are well known antisemitic dogwhistles. You regularly post racist comments. You want me to stop calling you out for bigotry? Stop being a bigot in my line of sight.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Agreed. Let’s hope another thread doesn’t get shut down.
I'm sorry that I occupy so much real estate in your head. For what it's worth, I literally don't give your existence a second thought except when, despite being asked politely over and over to steer clear of me, you keep looking for fights with me. It's weird and creepy.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:54 PM
Administrator

stand by.

under review.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reopened as requested by some-play nice all you parents

Last edited by gasman; 07-06-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:16 PM

I dont have kids but this is such a tricky subject because on one hand you absolutely have to think about the well being of the children but on the other there is an entire support staff that makes a school function.

Custodians, cafeteria, administrative, teachers obviously, nurses etc.

You have to weigh in the safety of all those people and their families as well.

The biggest issue I can think of is what happens if a student or teacher contracts the virus? It would throw the entire plan out the window and you have to have a game plan for all these what if situations. I have a hard time believing school districts are prepared to figure out solutions for all these situations in 1 month

I heard harvard decided to do the entire 2020-2021 year online so its possible higher education might follow but I dont see it happening for k-12 maybe half online half in person?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM

I just want to clarify after being called a racist anti Semite that my grandfather was Jewish and my family is multi racial including my daughter, nieces, step father and brother in law. I believe that those kinds of words are thrown around by people too easily in order to shut down oppositional thought. Certainly not trying to get this shutdown and think this topic is very important!

Just wanted to have a chance to let folks know that just because my opinion may be different doesn’t mean I am something that I am not and that those who don’t agree with me are clearly welcome to their own thoughts and views! It does not have to devolve into a uncivil conversation of childish name calling and nonsensical claims.

Hopefully this thread can proceed with civility as I am not here to ruffle any feathers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Again, that is one of the options.

Alternating days, alternating half days, some online while in the classroom....

We just don’t know yet.

Exposure is my biggest concern but I am also very concerned about the social/emotional well being of my scholars and the accountability and potential learning gaps that could result from extended on line learning.

The idea of 3 foot distancing when new data seems to indicate 6 feet may not be enough in closed spaces is another issue for school planning.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 PM

I just heard that Harvard will offer no on-campus classes this Fall. Hmm, how will courses that NEED lab work be taught if this is so.

San Diego Unified School District hopes to be able to offer parents choices of "traditional" on campus classes, all off-campus remote classes, or a combination of both techniques but there are still many questions about what will really be possible.

My wife teaches all the music programs in a Lutheran K-8 school and they have done a wonderful job of remote teaching. Of course with classes of 12 or fewer that's easier to do than districts of many thousands and classes of 25-40 pupils.
In addition to teaching the classes for the school Leslie has been giving one-on-one lessons to her private piano/organ students via ZOOM from our music room at home and they are going very well. In fact I'll bet parents working from home would probably pay double just to have the kids off their hands for a music lesson.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 PM

On the collegiate level:
For school to happen in the fall, lots of things will have to change (and improve immensely) in the next 45 days or so. Shipping The Boy off to college on August 11 and I'm currently pretty skeptical as to how its going to happen knowing what we know about the Rona. Logistic challenges and liability will be interesting. Another part of me wonders if Covid is the reckoning that higher ed has been flirting with for the last 20 years or so. In the arms race to create and develop property and leverage debt for the coolest gym/dorm/caf...is there a bridge too far? Is this it? Post mortem will be interesting

K-12? It'll never be the same
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 PM

How does an institution justify this as compared to the cost? Harvard might be able to get away with it, but places like Dickinson, Ithaca, Washington and Lee?

Not to mention the fact that their respective staffs have decades of experience...not teaching in this manner. It'll be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I just heard that Harvard will offer no on-campus classes this Fall. Hmm, how will courses that NEED lab work be taught if this is so.

San Diego Unified School District hopes to be able to offer parents choices of "traditional" on campus classes, all off-campus remote classes, or a combination of both techniques but there are still many questions about what will really be possible.

My wife teaches all the music programs in a Lutheran K-8 school and they have done a wonderful job of remote teaching. Of course with classes of 12 or fewer that's easier to do than districts of many thousands and classes of 25-40 pupils.
In addition to teaching the classes for the school Leslie has been giving one-on-one lessons to her private piano/organ students via ZOOM from our music room at home and they are going very well. In fact I'll bet parents working from home would probably pay double just to have the kids off their hands for a music lesson.
Closed Thread