Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 05:16 AM

ok, so this is coming

look585optimum2.jpg

Seller says it comes with the full headset, like any 'new' bike...I'll take some better photos when it gets here...not my favorite colors, but new was a preference...

seems this is from about 2008, but never used...makes me a little nervous buying such an old frame...fingers and toes crossed...

I see i need to get a 31.8 front derailleur hanger, is that right? Any suggestions? Just don't want to screw up the seat tube. I usually put some clear protective tape on the inside of the hanger. Well. I do that on my steel frames.

Anything I need to know about how to build this up?

Oh, not familiar with the headset. Does it need grease around the cartridges, in the head tube, someplace? My old staple is phil wood grease for bottom bracket threads, all threads pretty much. A dab of that between stem and bars?

I'm thinking aluminum seat post. I have an old american classic i like. I have read about a 'paste' or something to use instead of grease. Helps with corrosion? Helps with slipping seat posts? I can buy new if necessary.

Thinking Ritchey stem and bars. Might wait till frame comes and I can measure compared to my current old ride. See how close i can get. Was planning on try his Butano style bars with a slight 2 degree flare on the drops. Just looking for as much comfort as possible. Ritchey WCS C220 84D Stem 31.8 - 1 1/8 Inch stem. Can be flipped around for a slight rise if i need it.

I'm not sure yet, but will probably build with potenza or chorus. I gotta look around for pricing. I prefer campagnolo, but know most bike shops around here will stock shimano and shimano compatible wheels. I haven't gone to bike shops looking for quite a while so have to see what is available.

Was thinking zonda wheelset if i go campagnolo. Relatively cheap. And i read here all the time how dependable they are. I'm heavy right now. 100kg. But hope to be down to a more normal weight for me, about 88kg, in a while.

What about Ritchey wcs zeta wheel set. Good? Dependable. I see they available with shimano or campy compatible hubs/cassettes.

Hmmm, I just remembered I have a set of wheels in storage. 32 hole campy record hubs. Probably old mavic pro rims. It is ten speed. Bought years ago to use with 10 speed chorus shifters. Can I use that with 11 or 12 speed cassettes? Is that compatible?

Hope you don't mind all the questions. If you think any of my choices/ideas for parts are questionable, please let me know. Just want a simple, easy, dependable build and velo. More concerned with dependability than weight, comfort, good handling, especially on curvy twisty descents...
thanks
M

Last edited by picstloup; 07-04-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:51 AM

Yes, you'll need to put grease on the headset components, both to prevent corrosion and to prevent creaking. And yes, I'd use some gritty carbon assembly compound to prevent seatpost slippage and galling.

If you're concerned about assembly have a professional mechanic do the work. And it's probably smart to have a professional and/or experienced mechanic do the fork cutting. Don't measure twice and cut once. Measure about 10 times because you can't add it back.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Yes, you'll need to put grease on the headset components, both to prevent corrosion and to prevent creaking. And yes, I'd use some gritty carbon assembly compound to prevent seatpost slippage and galling.

If you're concerned about assembly have a professional mechanic do the work. And it's probably smart to have a professional and/or experienced mechanic do the fork cutting. Don't measure twice and cut once. Measure about 10 times because you can't add it back.
Ok. For sure, when I'm ready, I'll go to bike shop to cut down fork...will need a while to see what works best for my position.

Gonna build myself. I love putting a bike together. Just relaxing. Fun.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
seems this is from about 2008, but never used...makes me a little nervous buying such an old frame...fingers and toes crossed...
Nice & yes that is one of the later models 585..Nice Score NOS

Personally I would go carbon seatpost....The setback carbons on Ebay are excellent 191 grams & very inexpensive....I paid like $23 all over Ebay ToSeek etc

Wheels I love Zonda myself & yes Ritchey are also great but cost more

Ritchey cockpit would be great too.

Really just about anything will work fine. That is a great frameset & I wouldn't worry about age especially as it is NOS. When you look inside you will see how well they were built

Congrats
Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure yet, but will probably build with potenza or chorus. I gotta look around for pricing. I prefer campagnolo, but know most bike shops around here will stock shimano and shimano compatible wheels. I haven't gone to bike shops looking for quite a while so have to see what is available.

Was thinking zonda wheelset if i go campagnolo. Relatively cheap. And i read here all the time how dependable they are. I'm heavy right now. 100kg. But hope to be down to a more normal weight for me, about 88kg, in a while.

What about Ritchey wcs zeta wheel set. Good? Dependable. I see they available with shimano or campy compatible hubs/cassettes.

Hmmm, I just remembered I have a set of wheels in storage. 32 hole campy record hubs. Probably old mavic pro rims. It is ten speed. Bought years ago to use with 10 speed chorus shifters. Can I use that with 11 or 12 speed cassettes? Is that compatible?
Campy 10 speed freehubs will work with Campy 11 or 12 speed cassettes also — so you can use your old wheels initially while you figure out a direction you want to go. Zondas are great wheels for the price and very durable though

Potenza is 11 speed only, a bit harder to find, a bit cheaper, still available in silver (though that frame is more suited to black I think) as well as black. Chorus is only black and you can get 11 or 12 speed — roughly the same cost for either as 12 speed Chorus is a bit more plastic and less metal than 11 speed Chorus. If you do have access to them in a shop you may find you prefer the feel / function of one over the other (Potenza is PowerShift, Chorus UltraShift — feels different and PowerShift you can’t dump as many gears at once)

Merlin Cycles in the UK usually has a good Campy selection at reasonable prices, and is still shipping quickly if your LBS doesn’t do Campy. The German usual suspects (bike24, starbike, etc) have been very slow to the US lately due to COVID in my experience but may not be as bad for you in France
Old 07-05-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Nice & yes that is one of the later models 585..Nice Score NOS

Personally I would go carbon seatpost....The setback carbons on Ebay are excellent 191 grams & very inexpensive....I paid like $23 all over Ebay ToSeek etc

Wheels I love Zonda myself & yes Ritchey are also great but cost more

Ritchey cockpit would be great too.

Really just about anything will work fine. That is a great frameset & I wouldn't worry about age especially as it is NOS. When you look inside you will see how well they were built

Congrats
think I'm gonna use my old aluminum post, just to make sure the frame, my position is workable, and then maybe upgrade...thanks for the tips, appreciate it...yes, everyone (almost) seems to really like the zondas...

thanks Flying...
Old 07-05-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout2015 View Post
Campy 10 speed freehubs will work with Campy 11 or 12 speed cassettes also — so you can use your old wheels initially while you figure out a direction you want to go. Zondas are great wheels for the price and very durable though

Potenza is 11 speed only, a bit harder to find, a bit cheaper, still available in silver (though that frame is more suited to black I think) as well as black. Chorus is only black and you can get 11 or 12 speed — roughly the same cost for either as 12 speed Chorus is a bit more plastic and less metal than 11 speed Chorus. If you do have access to them in a shop you may find you prefer the feel / function of one over the other (Potenza is PowerShift, Chorus UltraShift — feels different and PowerShift you can’t dump as many gears at once)

Merlin Cycles in the UK usually has a good Campy selection at reasonable prices, and is still shipping quickly if your LBS doesn’t do Campy. The German usual suspects (bike24, starbike, etc) have been very slow to the US lately due to COVID in my experience but may not be as bad for you in France
thanks for info on my 10 speed rear hub...i will get them out of storage this week...i'll also check out Merlin Cycles...i did look at evans, ribble, probike, and they all seem to carry sram and shimano only...

only thing that kinda bugs me about the campy chorus group is the crank set...I mean i don't like the look/design...the rest is fine...and i can live with it...

but there is a place, here in france, pretty much complete chorus 12 speed for 989 euros...includes english bb cups...

I've also been ordering from bike24 in germany...they are fast and reasonable in price for me...need to check starbike...never heard of them...

thanks lookout2015

Last edited by picstloup; 07-05-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout2015 View Post
Chorus is only black and you can get 11 or 12 speed — roughly the same cost for either as 12 speed Chorus is a bit more plastic and less metal than 11 speed Chorus.
Im not sure where this is coming from. Chorus 12 is more aluminum and less carbon when compared to 11.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Nice - where in France did you find the NOS frame?
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR View Post
Nice - where in France did you find the NOS frame?
I do also check Leboncoin and I missed that beauty. What size is it?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachetetm View Post
I do also check Leboncoin and I missed that beauty. What size is it?
It's a medium.

Seller made me aware of the short top tube. It took me a few days to track down a geometry chart. Compare to current ride. And being that the steerer tube isn't cut down yet, leaves a lot of leeway for position. It should fit well with a slightly longer stem. Gonna try 110 first. I might need 120.

Also. I was skeptical about it because no head set was mentioned. Contacted seller and he assures me, like any new frame, it comes with the complete head set. I was afraid to ask, but when those were new they also came with a carbon seat post. No mention of it in his ad. I'm hoping to be surprised. But the seat post is an easy thing to find. The head set, more rare than hens teeth.

I have been looking around, slowly. I was 65 last month so wanted to treat myself to something new and exciting. I guess this is old and exciting.

Actually thought to buy a Ritchey Road Logic, but was waiting on the company to present a better color. Don't like the gray and yellow on offer now for a rim brake set up.

This 585 optimum showed up a few days ago on leboncoin. And honest, I've read on these forums for years about how much people love them. So. A little nervous. I'm taking a chance on this. It'll probably be here in the next week or two.

Last edited by picstloup; 07-05-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Im not sure where this is coming from. Chorus 12 is more aluminum and less carbon when compared to 11.
I wonder if you know the difference good or bad between the older 11 speed and the newer 12 speed. I can find both for around 1000 euros. I mean 'more' always sounds better, but often it is just more and not really better.

and a short ps...i've found a front derailleur hanger that should work, but wonder what people who have these frames use...the one i found is a generic kinda thing...i wonder if campy makes 'em, shimano?...maybe someone who designs them so they are efficient and not too likely to damage the seat tube...

thanks
m

Last edited by picstloup; 07-05-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It's a medium.

Seller made me aware of the short top tube. It took me a few days to track down a geometry chart. Compare to current ride. And being that the steerer tube isn't cut down yet, leaves a lot of leeway for position. It should fit well with a slightly longer stem. Gonna try 110 first. I might need 120.

Also. I was skeptical about it because no head set was mentioned. Contacted seller and he assures me, like any new frame, it comes with the complete head set. I was afraid to ask, but when those were new they also came with a carbon seat post. No mention of it in his ad. I'm hoping to be surprised. But the seat post is an easy thing to find. The head set, more rare than hens teeth.

I have been looking around, slowly. I was 65 last month so wanted to treat myself to something new and exciting. I guess this is old and exciting.

Actually thought to buy a Ritchey Road Logic, but was waiting on the company to present a better color. Don't like the gray and yellow on offer now for a rim brake set up.

This 585 optimum showed up a few days ago on leboncoin. And honest, I've read on these forums for years about how much people love them. So. A little nervous. I'm taking a chance on this. It'll probably be here in the next week or two.
I think you are going to love it! If I had free choice, I would probably pick the Optimum for fit.

(I too went and looked at Leboncoin because of the watermark on the photo--I'll bookmark it.)
Old 07-05-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you know the difference good or bad between the older 11 speed and the newer 12 speed. I can find both for around 1000 euros. I mean 'more' always sounds better, but often it is just more and not really better.
I skipped 11 but here is my initial thoughts.

11 speeds pros
Lighter
Same cog spacing as shimano 11
Better looking rear derailleur

12 speed pros
34t cassette available
Subcompact crank available
More chain wrap (supposedly longer part life)
Improved front shifting
Improved ergos

In short, the major change is the availability of lower gearing. If you don’t need that, you trade some carbon and weight savings for one cog and very small refinements.

I went 12 for the 34t cog and I wanted to be in the current group. The loss of carbon and weight gain doesn’t concern me at all. 2015+ chorus 11 is a pretty fantastic group that I think will be sought after for years. 2015+ chorus with pre-15 5-bolt cranks might be one of the the best looking combinations made. I would be tempted to go that way on a go fast carbon road bike.

Edit:
I would support zonda wheels. The pre-2015 brakes are also a bit higher quality. The are Campagnolo made vs Tektro made. That said, the 2015 calipers have more tire clearance and some report they have improved performance.

It would be work, but this would be awesome and timeless:
Zonda wheels
Pre 2015 cranks
Pre 2015 brakes
2015+ Shifters and derailleurs

Going straight chorus 11 or 12 would be simple. You really can’t go wrong with any of it.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-05-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
and a short ps...i've found a front derailleur hanger that should work, but wonder what people who have these frames use...the one i found is a generic kinda thing...i wonder if campy makes 'em, shimano?...maybe someone who designs them so they are efficient and not too likely to damage the seat tube...

thanks
m

When I had mine I used a Campy Chorus? clamp

No need to worry much about damage. Just torque to spec & that clamp really does not take much abuse/stress anyway when you think of the force/direction when using the FD IMHO