Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2020, 09:17 AM

+1 for no decals, really like the clean look.

And another +1 for an informative and enjoyable post - thanks for sharing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

So, a question since I have only installed tubie tape, at customer's request( they brought it in), about twice in the shop and both on new wheels.
AND I use glue..do you have to clean the rims like that every time you change the tire?
Old 04-26-2020, 09:38 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
So, a question since I have only installed tubie tape, at customer's request( they brought it in), about twice in the shop and both on new wheels.
AND I use glue..do you have to clean the rims like that every time you change the tire?
My understanding is the tape comes off the rim much nicer so cleanup is minimal.
The tape on the tire side is supposedly permanent so no reusing tires.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
My understanding is the tape comes off the rim much nicer so cleanup is minimal.
The tape on the tire side is supposedly permanent so no reusing tires.
BUT(and I use Panaracer tubie glue), can't
"take a trip and never leave the farm"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HAb6fIrWU
Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
BUT(and I use Panaracer tubie glue), can't
"take a trip and never leave the farm"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HAb6fIrWU
Here is the only clip I could find that shows someone actually trying to remove the tubular tape. Looks a bit less intensive than the effort to remove old glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnffYRddHUw
Old 04-26-2020, 12:13 PM
Everything is connected

Nice post...thanks for sharing and yes, your wheels look much better in the raw.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 AM
#RYFB

My experience at variance

Thanks too for posting this. It made me optimistic about cleaning up my rims so I bought a tube of the cleaner.

Alas, my experience was not as good as yours. I've now done three separate applications, also some Goo-gone and acetone, but while sections of the rim are nearly clean there remain a few where the glue resolutely hangs on. At this point I'm just going to live with it and glue new tires on, though I wonder how well the glue will adhere to those unclean spots.

I love riding tubulars. This sh*t…not so much.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:54 PM

I have switched over to the tape and have been "glulesss" for several years.
Easy on. Tape comes off easily with no damage so far to Enve or Bora wheels. Great product.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:47 PM

Last night I bought a set of Bora 35's and while removing the tires, I noticed they're using this Mariposa tape. Pulling the tire off was about the same effort as pulling off a glued tire.. The light bulb went off in my head... Tape has come along way from the old Tufo stuff.. My only gripe is once removed, you can't reuse the tire.. What if I want to remove tire to true the wheel? Tire done?

Also, if it takes the same amount of time to mend (8-12hrs) like glue, why not just glue?

Just random thoughts...
Old 10-18-2020, 02:12 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Cross is coming, at least one race anyway so it's time to complete the cycle.
I have been sitting on (2) rolls of tape and wasn't too keen on the shelf life so I put it to use.

Things I learned from last time:
1.) Mark the tires to ensure you reinstall them in the correct orientation. I did this with 2 small sharpie dots on the tire near the logo.
2.) If you don't add tape or cut a notch for the valve stem it will move around a bit when inflating. I cut a notch this time and have much better coverage around the valve stem area for adhesion
3.) This is easy, and you can multiple chances to center the tire before pulling off the tape backing to seal the deal.
4.) Get your area ready, prep the rims well, and get the temperature right. A small space heater and the furnace running a bit here in Wisconsin have things nice and toasty in the bike cave for the next 24 hours with outside temps in the mid 40s.

Pics!

I started by prepping the rims. First with a pass or three of high power nail polish remover. I then let both rims dry and gave them a wipe with a few left over United sanitizing wipes that were 70% Isopropyl. These are handy.

Starting Temp was 68F

While the rims were drying and the room was heating up, I used the rest of my bottle of Adhesion primer for the tires. I got (4) tires primed up in a single bottle, and being this is the full experience I decided to use it here with brand new tires and like new, cleaned rims. I used the centerline as a guide as I spread the primer out. The silicone tip makes application easy and I keep the Isopropyl wipe handy for any cleanup. This primer dried up in about 10 minutes.

After circling the rim with tape it came time to cut and finish off the valve stem area. Here is my notch, it worked great.

Results:
Tires are sitting at 85PSI while the adhesive sets up.

Final Temp was 74 and holding around there for a few more hours.

Last edited by kppolich; 10-19-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:14 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Added a few grams, but I am looking forward to racing here at the end of the month.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:48 PM

Excellent post, details and instructions! Very nice upgrade on the S-Works too. Should be a blast to ride.

Have you tested out any of the taped tires to see how they hold up either on the road or CX? I have a set of wheels just in (for road) and thinking of going this route vs. Mastik.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Excellent post, details and instructions! Very nice upgrade on the S-Works too. Should be a blast to ride.

Have you tested out any of the taped tires to see how they hold up either on the road or CX? I have a set of wheels just in (for road) and thinking of going this route vs. Mastik.
One of the guys I ride with (cat 2 masters racer) did the tape thing 3 years ago - it held up for 2 full seasons (10+ races, including mud) of cross and another season of practices with no issues.

If I ever go back to tubulars, I'm doing this.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post

I've also raced the last 2 years on taped up tubulars. 2x races a day (CAT3 and SingleSpeed) without a single issue in all conditions from swamp to desert, including below freezing.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:45 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I opted to stick with Vit Mastik on my recent 2 bike tubular.

The tape cost being 22-5% of the tire coast x 4 for the two bikes scared me off. Not to mention the old tape on the one used tubular wheels set I did not like much. I will use some agent instead of just heat maybe when I redo my PDX's old glue job...

Tags
carogna, effetto mariposa, tubular