Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 03:47 PM

Equipment review - Shimano Stealth Pro Saddle

Equipment review -

I typically try not to be so presumptive to think that anyone would give a crap about what I think about a given cycling product but this one changed cycling for me and it seemed a disservice to not share.

For many years I've used Fizik saddles and while some have worked OK for me there was always something missing. On some of them I could get reasonably comfortable but I always had trouble with my hips tilting to one side putting a slightly lateral curve in my lower spine. It was most pronounced early in the season when I wasn't in proper shape yet and had less awareness of how I was sitting.

I tried one of the 'large' Fizik saddles (142 wide I think) and it seemed like it helped and I was enjoying it for the most part....particularly after I was a bit fitter and had a more stable core. Then I saw one of the new shorter and wider saddles that Shimano was offering under its "Pro" brand. Last fall, on a whim, I bought a Shimano Stealth Pro saddle in the full-fat width. The saddle is a shortish 255 mm long and a wideish 152 mm wide. Maybe more importantly the side-to-side curve of the saddle is very slight making it flatter side-to-side.

It's light (don't know the number) and the padding is very firm (as I like it) and once I got it set up I rode it up and down the street and it felt like someone took a mold of my butt and made a saddle to fit it. I've never felt this way before....not in 40 years of riding a road bike...not once. The biggest thing I noticed is that both sit bones firmly sit on the pads without any tendency to drift to one side causing the lateral hip tilt. In other words I sit dead square on it.

I also found that the cut out allowed me to use a rotated forward hip position when in the drops while plugging into a head wind without any pressure on soft tissue and zero numbness even after long stints this way. It suddenly felt like I could use a deeper drop bar if I wanted to.

I didn't get to ride it that much before riding season ended and ski season began so I was curious to see how my alignment was when I wasn't in riding shape this spring. Well I've been out on it twice so far this spring and was happy and surprised to find that even after a long winter off the bike I'd plunk my butt down on it and sit dead square, well supported and with more comfort than I've ever had before.

I've never thought of myself has being "big boned" and wide saddles didn't make sense when I thought of my skinny butt. I was clearly wrong. I tended to think of wide saddles as something better suited to a more upright position and I didn't want anything vague and squishy....I was wrong. Now that I've ridden it again this spring with just as much comfort and alignment support as last fall I've going to order another and put it on my other road bike.

If you feel you have the same listing-to-the-side issue I had you might also benefit from one of these.

My 2 cents.....thanks for reading.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0348.jpg (107.2 KB, 1800 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0351.jpg (48.5 KB, 1795 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0352.jpg (49.8 KB, 1792 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0355.jpg (87.4 KB, 1791 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Nice review Dave

I've had good luck with the Specialized Power saddle which has a similar shape but less of a cutout. It's been a very good saddle. Maybe the Shimano Pro could be a great saddle for me.

Beautiful bike btw, who's the builder ?
Old 03-23-2020, 04:31 PM

Echoed here. I've got the Spesh Power and Shimano Pro Stealth. Agreed. I just tried the Selle Italia Novus Boost, similar shape. In it, I got the smaller size and think I'd like it if it were the bigger.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:18 PM

Thanks for this. I might try one.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:28 PM

Dave, which Fizik saddle(s) did you use?
Old 03-23-2020, 05:43 PM

Glad you found saddle nirvana. Amazing how a simple thing can transform our riding! I have had similar positive experiences with comfort and the ability to rotate forward more easily with the Bontrager Aeolus saddle and the Selle San Marco Short Fit saddles. The SMP's never worked for me.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:49 PM
aka RAEKWON

I tried it and was not for me but tons of ppl love em. I have realized that cutout saddles just aren’t for me.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the lengthy review. I value reviews like yours more than what I read in the magazines.

I don't need a new saddle but you sure have piqued my interest in this one.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Nice info, something else to consider in the hunt for one saddle to rule them all. Nice looking bike too... no name on the downtube, who is the maker?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 PM

I have a big S Power saddle that I went to after decades on Turbos, still have Turbos on my commuter and SS. The longer nose was making my lack of core strength and overall fitness show itself with numbness.
The short wider saddle shape is very comfortable and looks after my anatomy very well.on the 5+ hour rides I do on the road bike
It's a red saddle and now I wish it was black but at close to $250 it is too much to change out. thanks for the review DK.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM

Nice words.

I have been meaning to try a saddle with a similar profile. Have only test ridden but my thoughts are similar regarding feeling square and planted on them. I was on a Prologo the other day (test ride) and it was the same. Customer had us order two more for him.

Everybody's doing it.

Evolution, maybe.

Last edited by charliedid; 03-24-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Nice info, something else to consider in the hunt for one saddle to rule them all. Nice looking bike too... no name on the downtube, who is the maker?
Looks British ;-)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 AM

How did you decide which width of the Pro saddle to choose. I generally use the narrow arione and have considered this saddle a number of times but never tried it. The flat firm feel is my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 AM

Great review, please keep them coming on other finds.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Dave, which Fizik saddle(s) did you use?
My favorite is the Antares Evo in the 142 width.

dave