Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 03:23 PM

Thanks, Brian

Yeah, I wasn't really worried about my Meivici, I got it from Belmont Wheellworks. Has a serial number, etc. And a custom paint job just like the one featured in the '06 catalog. It's an awesome bike that I foolishly considered selling in the past. Never again.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:41 PM

My old Colorado II has the half lug at the top of the headtube and is of a similar colour but it has a serial number.

Fantastic bike just wish I had a matching steel fork

Old 07-06-2020, 04:06 PM

As is true with most crooks they are stupid.....I always wondered why they didn't just make up a serial number or reuse from from the past. It would have made detection much harder.

But they were not the brightest bulbs in the lamp and displayed great hubris.

dave
Old 07-06-2020, 04:10 PM
aka RAEKWON

could this just also not be a bike that someone painted yellow and put serotta decals on?
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
could this just also not be a bike that someone painted yellow and put serotta decals on?
While most anything is possible I doubt it. It has most of the things that make a Serotta a Serotta in that era....the fillets BB shell but socket chainstays, the top tube/head tube 1/2 lug, the tapered seat and down tubes. These things would be very hard to come by and the way it was done someone would be working hard to build a frame that was built just like a Serotta.

It is possible that the paint is an inch thick and covering the serial number on the BB and that it's a production bike. If it is it certainly got a repaint and the cable guides changed at some point because we never used that style of guide.

dave
Old 07-07-2020, 02:56 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
It's sad but true. The vast majority of the guys were good people who wanted to make the best stuff they could and have the company thrive....however there were a few who thought they should be paid more, or have a better position, who took advantage of the uncontrolled growth and general looseness of the place to "get what they deserved".

One decided he would start his own Ti bike company and built samples and prototypes using Serotta parts and labor and touted the work as his own. He was caught and fired and charges were pressed. A few others volunteered to work weekends (for overtime pay of course) to help the company keep up with orders but instead of doing the needed work they stole parts and built back-door frames and sold them to get the money they thought they deserved....so they got paid overtime pay to build bike of highly dubious quality that they then sold. Not a bad way to make some money. At least one of these guys is still in the bike biz I'm sorry to say. I'm NOT talking about Kelly Bedford or Dave Wages who were awesome employees and coworkers.

These counterfeit bikes were most often sold to students at Skidmore College where the kids had deep pockets and the cycling community was very active...and of course those bikes went with the students and ended up everywhere when the kids went home.

I could tell endless stories but they can't undermine the awesome work that the crew did. We had a skilled team of people who built some of the finest bikes money could buy and I'm proud to have played my small part in that. A few a-holes who stole from the place don't diminish that.

dave

I knew a kid in High school who got a Heavily discounted white Serotta MTB from an employee with no decals. This was about 1991 in Elmira NY.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

Serotta Frame. Eye Candy or ?

Not this one, but if you want to see what's truly eye candy, check this one out:
https://mariposabicycles.ca/blog/201...ts-canada1983/
Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 PM

Thanks for info

Thanks again for info. They frame really looks like original paint. I looked for any indentation for Serial number under the paint and found nothing. The top tube is ovalized to head tube. One other thing is that the rear drop outs are Campy.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesmart View Post
Thanks again for info. They frame really looks like original paint. I looked for any indentation for Serial number under the paint and found nothing. The top tube is ovalized to head tube. One other thing is that the rear drop outs are Campy.
There are very few things in life that I'm 100% sure of but one of them is that that is not the original paint. The frame never would have left the factory with those decals in those locations.

It's been repainted.

dave

Tags
serotta