Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 11:46 AM
I need you cool.

OT: Battery Jump Starters...any favorites?

So, went to take my son out driving last night (had just two more drives at driving school when lockdown happened.) Our Prius had only been driven once in the past few months (I know...not good), and the battery was dead. Borrowed some jumper cables from neighbor, got it started and off we went.

So, about 6 mos ago we replaced the battery in the Prius (it was old and dead) and my wife's car all within in the same week. I started shopping for jump starters, but never pulled the trigger.....I figure it is time.

Looks like there are some compact ones you can carry around in the car, but also ones that are bigger, and more for garage storage. Not sure I need a combo starter/compressor/light...

So, what do you guys like?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Noco Boost

I have the GB40 and it's pretty reliable. I've used it twice, both times out in the wilderness, and it's been flawless.

Last edited by rheosibal; 07-07-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:05 PM

+1 on the Noco. My wife likes to leave her lights on and its saved her multiple times and works flawlessly as long as you're mindful to keep it charged.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:27 PM

No complaints with BEATIT charger. We have one in each car. Can start 5.5L gas or 4.0 diesel so it’ll jump your Prius piece o cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 12:28 PM

I don't have a portable jump starter, so I'm interested in that.

The NoCo Geinus looks like a stationary, plug into the wall type. I have a few of those (from other brands) that are great for battery maintenance when I'm not driving for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with the NoCo Boost series? The Boost Plus looks promising for my needs.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Wirecutter review

From 2017, but maybe still relevant.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-jump-starter/
Old 07-07-2020, 01:27 PM

https://no.co/gb40

Just bought one of these from Amazon recently. Haven't used it yet. But just fooling around with it and charging it, it looks impressive. Stays in wife's car.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
I don't have a portable jump starter, so I'm interested in that.

The NoCo Geinus looks like a stationary, plug into the wall type. I have a few of those (from other brands) that are great for battery maintenance when I'm not driving for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with the NoCo Boost series? The Boost Plus looks promising for my needs.

Thanks,

Chris
Oops, I meant Noco Boost in my above post. I have both the Genius (G15000) and Boost (GB40) that have both worked great. The GB40 has recovered me in a pinch a couple times.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:01 PM

Anti Gravity

I have one of these...I think the XP-3 and am satisfied.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 AM

So for those of us who are "uninformed" about new-fangled devices, from looking at some of the samples listed here it's not exactly clear how you charge one of these bad boys up. I see some USB ports but I don't see any ports for standard household 110 volt charging. How does one charge these? How long will it hold a charge? Do these have the potential to leak acid eventually?

Last edited by old_fat_and_slow; 07-08-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:18 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
So for those of us who are "uninformed" about new-fangled devices, from looking as some of the samples listed here it's not exactly clear how you charge one of these bad boys up. I see some USB ports but I don't see any ports for standard household 110 volt charging. How does one charge these? How long will it hold a charge? Do these have the potential to leak acid eventually?
There is usually a 110v adapter. Look at picture in AZRIDER's post....the round input for 15V/1A is where it is charged...probably comes with a cable / transformer that plugs into a wall outlet.

Despite lots of recs for the NOCO, I ordered the Weego 44.1 (top rated on the Wirecutter article posted). Checked out a bunch of reviews, and most were critical of the NOCO clamps.

Bought direct from company website 30% off (code: JULY30)....they didn't charge tax..odd, but I'll take it. Free shipping, and they take AmazonPay.

Last edited by Ozz; 07-08-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
There is usually a 110v adapter. Look at picture in AZRIDER's post....the round input for 15V/1A is where it is charged...probably comes with a cable / transformer that plugs into a wall outlet.
Correct. Mine came with wall charger, and ironically a cigarette lighter outlet charger.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Correct. Mine came with wall charger, and ironically a cigarette lighter outlet charger.
I think the idea with the cigarette lighter charger is that when you car is working, you can charge the pack in the car. Then, when you leave your lights on, and your car battery is dead, the jumper battery pack is charged, and in your car. Instead of charged, and plugged in to the wall at your house. That would be irony.

I've looked at these before, and never found one that didn't have review to the effect of "It was great when it was new, but I left it in the car for a year, and it didn't work when I needed it, even though it said it was charged." Did all those people get broken units? Are all those people idiots, and can't use the jumper pack? How many other people did the same, and had the unit work and never posted a review?

I guess I just need to bite the bullet a pick one, and take my chances.

Thanks for all the info and experiences!

Chris
Old 07-08-2020, 10:48 AM
DELETE ACCNT

They use a capacitor to hold energy, not a battery. No acid.

They hold charge for months, and you can check it periodically. Easy to top up just like a phone.

The portability factor makes them just great to have. Yes, it works.
I got one from Costco a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
So for those of us who are "uninformed" about new-fangled devices, from looking as some of the samples listed here it's not exactly clear how you charge one of these bad boys up. I see some USB ports but I don't see any ports for standard household 110 volt charging. How does one charge these? How long will it hold a charge? Do these have the potential to leak acid eventually?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:58 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
I've looked at these before, and never found one that didn't have review to the effect of "It was great when it was new, but I left it in the car for a year, and it didn't work when I needed it, even though it said it was charged." Did all those people get broken units? Are all those people idiots, and can't use the jumper pack? How many other people did the same, and had the unit work and never posted a review? ...
Chris
The Weego has a "lithium polymer" battery...don't know if that counts as a "capacitor", but certainly not a lead acid battery.

Somewhere in the reviews I read talked about the inconsistent quality in lithium battery production...Like your cellphone and laptop, you need to use the battery to keep in "healthy"

IIRC, the Anti Gravity brand comes with a 3 yr warranty, the Weego has 2 yrs.

Details: https://myweego.com/product/weego-44-1/