Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Some risks are worth taking.
I want our kids back in school in the fall.
We can monitor and test, and if the disease trajectory is bad we can go back to virtual teaching if we must, but we owe it to our kids to try and have school this fall.
Not to even mention their parents who are facing financial ruin if they can't get back to a normal work schedule because their young children are home all the time.

Couldn’t agree more. Life is full of risks and the risk involved at this stage is very low given that there are known treatments and that children remain relatively unaffected by this virus. A strong immune system and hand washing should correlate to a relatively safe environment for our students and teachers. Kids need social interaction as do adults.

This is creating more problems for average people than the virus ever could IMHO. One of my friends fathers worked as a truck driver at Keymark in Fonda NY where there was a cluster and the plant shut down. He was an alcoholic and once the factory closed started binge drinking since his job was shut down. He ended up with a DWI two nights ago and yesterday he blew his head off. These are the repercussions of taking people’s ability to make a living and routine away from them. Completely sad and I feel terrible for my friend/neighbor. The policies enacted are truly having a very negative effect on everyday people and that is tragic.

It is strange to me how the media has gone from death tolls to reporting new case spikes without giving relevant information like they are testing over 550,000 people a day. Clearly there will be spikes when only a month ago testing was based on having symptoms and now it is mostly based on employment specifications. The vast majority of positives are not sick. This virus seems to be spreading in turn bringing herd immunity which in my opinion is a good thing. The fact that it is in no way the killer virus that was proposed months ago is a good thing and the sooner people realize that the better off we will be.

The other contributing factor is that we have multiple treatments that actually work and we know they do. Only a few months ago there were plenty of doctors saying this, but being blacked out by media and social media platforms in the most strange use of censorship that I have ever seen in my adult life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2020, 02:00 PM

What's more important: preserving one's "way of life," or their actual life?
Old 07-07-2020, 02:03 PM

Every country that has paid their citizens to stay home instead of "opening the economy" has controlled this pandemic instead of letting it run rampant while some of us pretend it doesn't even exist. We've crossed over into sadistic territory, here, forcing especially the poor and vulnerable to be exposed to a deadly virus while the rich are lining their pockets. Now we're going to force our children and teachers to be in close quarters all day long? This is truly shameless.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Again, it seems that Covid discussion brings on strong feelings from many people. Unfortunately, once we get into these topics people seem to get offended, so let's just steer clear of these type of topics here. The forum blood pressure is much calmer without Covid talk. You can find an outlet for those discussions in dozens of other places.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Administrator

I'll just add one point to this...

One member stated in a reported post that they wanted to refute something that was posted but thought they might get a time out for it. Not at all, we have no issue with someone posting a counter point of view as long as you stay on topic and can do it without attacking, belittling, or being rude to others...period.

W.