Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #526  
Old 05-04-2020, 03:17 PM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,503
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I've been back on forth on a couple of projects so I don't have an update on this one but to answer the above question, yes this frame will take on a bead blasted and polished look. My wife, who is rather talented in the aesthetic sense, is going to help with the final layout of decals, kind of hush hush as to what it will be for now, but expect lots of shine. Here is an example of a polished stainless headtube with my logo bead blasted on to it.
__________________
http://arcycles.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 05-04-2020, 04:40 PM
makoti makoti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I've been back on forth on a couple of projects so I don't have an update on this one but to answer the above question, yes this frame will take on a bead blasted and polished look. My wife, who is rather talented in the aesthetic sense, is going to help with the final layout of decals, kind of hush hush as to what it will be for now, but expect lots of shine. Here is an example of a polished stainless headtube with my logo bead blasted on to it.
That is nice. I love that treatment
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 05-04-2020, 09:21 PM
Coffee Rider Coffee Rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: San Diego Area
Posts: 413
I am really looking forward to seeing this thing finished as well as whatever comes next.
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 05-11-2020, 10:07 AM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,503
I was trying to find a way to make the rear derailleur and disc brake cabling fully internal, however the standard British bottom bracket shell doesn't offer a lot of room inside after stuffing a 24mm spindle and dust cap for the cranks. For the ease of cable changes I decided to go under the bb as per the usual, then through the internal ports on the chainstays.
__________________
http://arcycles.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 05-11-2020, 11:05 AM
thirdgenbird thirdgenbird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 8,778
That looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 06-25-2020, 10:31 AM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,503
I've been on a bit of a hiatus as of late, here's some photos of current project wrapping up.

Couple of options for disc brake mounting, ISO and Flat mount:





Stay treatment





Been polishing this till my fingers are numb



__________________
http://arcycles.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 06-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Robot870's Avatar
Robot870 Robot870 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hells Kitchen
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
I've been on a bit of a hiatus as of late, here's some photos of current project wrapping up.

Couple of options for disc brake mounting, ISO and Flat mount:





Stay treatment





Been polishing this till my fingers are numb



Looks awesome!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 06-25-2020, 01:56 PM
Coffee Rider Coffee Rider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: San Diego Area
Posts: 413
This is a reminder of why I keep wanting more bikes even though I don't need them.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 06-28-2020, 10:27 AM
GimmeSerotta GimmeSerotta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 48
The work on those thru axle drop outs is fantastic.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 AM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,503
Complete and ready to roll. Full stainless gravel so paint chips are a thing of the past. PMW TA dropouts, ISO rear and flat mount front. Mostly internal cabling for a clean aesthetic and to keep the cables free of road grime. The stem may be a place holder, deciding whether or not to fillet a custom one. 3/8" stainless seat stays (Rob English Style) and an insane amount of polishing.







__________________
http://arcycles.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 AM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,503
__________________
http://arcycles.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 07-06-2020, 02:40 PM
coreyaugustus coreyaugustus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NoVA
Posts: 340
Would love to see some in-process photos of how you finished the drive side chainstay with internal routing. That looks really awesome, but curious how much silver you were able to get in that joint. Is it all on the inside of the dropout?
__________________
insta: @coreyabennett
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 07-06-2020, 02:46 PM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post

That is dope! Really well done!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Moots RSL and Kirk JKS (soon). Lookin 4 something Gravelish
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 AM
8aaron8 8aaron8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
Would love to see some in-process photos of how you finished the drive side chainstay with internal routing. That looks really awesome, but curious how much silver you were able to get in that joint. Is it all on the inside of the dropout?
If you look at the previous page of this thread there is a picture of the dropout/stay being prepped. There is a ton of "meat" in the chainstay for the silver to bond with. Prior to brazing I milled the outside of the dropout to accept the internal wire guide. This leaves a grove in the center while still maintaining material above and below the grove for good contact inside of the stay. When brazing I fill the inside face and the top and bottom of the outside face being sure not to fill my slot with silver. After I run a round file in the slot carefully in case there was any small silver filler then slide the internal cable guide through the slot and braze it up. The internal tube takes up the remainder of space in between the dropout and stay, so there is full silver penetration in the entire joint.
__________________
http://arcycles.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 07-08-2020, 03:38 PM
coreyaugustus coreyaugustus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NoVA
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
If you look at the previous page of this thread there is a picture of the dropout/stay being prepped. There is a ton of "meat" in the chainstay for the silver to bond with. Prior to brazing I milled the outside of the dropout to accept the internal wire guide. This leaves a grove in the center while still maintaining material above and below the grove for good contact inside of the stay. When brazing I fill the inside face and the top and bottom of the outside face being sure not to fill my slot with silver. After I run a round file in the slot carefully in case there was any small silver filler then slide the internal cable guide through the slot and braze it up. The internal tube takes up the remainder of space in between the dropout and stay, so there is full silver penetration in the entire joint.
Thanks for the explanation. A picture is a thousand words, but putting those words in order helps too.
__________________
insta: @coreyabennett
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.