Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 AM

Tubeless-ify velocity A23?

Anyone done the conversion?
Which tires have played nice? 32-38 size tires?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 AM

I have 700c a23s set up tubeless. They’ve had two sets of tires on them: schwalbe s-one 30mm and schwalbe g-one 35mm. The s-ones were an absolute bear to seat. The g-ones are less challenging to seat, but still not easy. The g-ones are on there now. For what it’s worth, I slashed a sidewall on one a couple weeks back, and thankfully getting a tube in there wasn’t so bad (not so tight that tire levers couldn’t help on the side of the road). S-one by comparison... am so glad I never got a flat that required putting in a tube. So tight. Small sample size of two sets of tires, but either the schwalbes are a tight bead or the a23 is a hair big. If ever I deflate a g-one, both beads pop out.

I’m contrasting this with wtb and stans 650b rims, which I’ve set up tubeless with schwalbe thunder burts, wtb ranger, horizon, and resolutes, and all four seated with less difficulty. Popped right in without getting up to a terrifying please-don’t-blow-off pressure like I’ve approached on the a23s.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:53 AM

Had a set, no problems with Stan’s rim strips and valves. I think I used them with nanos and gravel kings, both set up fine. I used a floor pump.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 AM
shimergo

I have a pair of A23 that are set up tubeless on my gravel bike (A23 front/A23 OC rear). I've run through a couple sets of WTB Nano TCS 700x40 on there with no issues. Stan's rim tape and valves as well.