Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Tire recommendations for Reynolds R4s

I picked up a set of Reynolds R4s & I am looking for recommendations for tires (I am not running tubeless).

I tried a set of Conti GPs 25 and they are a bear to get off. I am looking for something much easier to put on/take off but similar to the GPs.

Cheers, BobC
Old 03-20-2019, 07:21 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I picked up a set of Reynolds R4s & I am looking for recommendations for tires (I am not running tubeless).

I tried a set of Conti GPs 25 and they are a bear to get off. I am looking for something much easier to put on/take off but similar to the GPs.

Cheers, BobC
my experience with Conti tires is the first mount/dismounts are a real PITA....despite the rim. There's a break-in period it seems. I'd just ride what you got.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 PM
50 bpm

I have Vredestein Fortezza TriComp 700x25s on my R4s and they're great, and easy to mount. Unfortunately, I bought the last of the 700x25 TriComps from the U.S. distributor. The new tires are called the Fortezza Duralites.

Actually rode the R4s on my Serotta Fierte IT today for the first time and my face hurts from all the grinning.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Just about any tire can be hard to mount the first time, but after some use, it shouldn't be difficult to get one side off to change a tube. What type of tire tool are you using? I've used nothing but a single quik stik tire tool for at least 20 years.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 AM

Conti GP 4000s. Got a flat recently on a cold windy morning and wrestled with that puppy for 30 minutes & could not get a my pedros tire iron under the bead. Fortunately I wasn't far from home so I limped on in. Tried later in the garage & could not get under the bead. Still sitting in the corner -- waiting for a warm sunny day so I can throw in the car & see if I have better luck.

Never want to be in that position again.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Conti GP 4000s. Got a flat recently on a cold windy morning and wrestled with that puppy for 30 minutes & could not get a my pedros tire iron under the bead. Fortunately I wasn't far from home so I limped on in. Tried later in the garage & could not get under the bead. Still sitting in the corner -- waiting for a warm sunny day so I can throw in the car & see if I have better luck.

Never want to be in that position again.
Just out of curiosity -

In my experience, it is usually harder to get a tire on then to get it back off again. How did you get the Conti GP4000s on to begin with?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Using the meaty part of my palms. I generally don't use tire irons to mount tires unless I get in a spot just to flip the last little part.