Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 09:42 PM

How do Velocity wheels compare to others?

I see rims and occasionally full wheels from them.

Always had the impression their rims were slightly above most generic/common brands but not as nice as Belgiums or the like. Always had the impression their hubs/full wheels were mediocre - pretty sure they rebrand their hubs, no idea who the OEM is. Realized I have little basis for this and might be totally off base.

Went looking for more info and found little. So, what are your thoughts on them?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Buy a set and report back. You're posting on a forum where people discuss the nicer equipment available in the sport. There are several wheel builders on the forum as well and I've got some of their wheels. If you want to see how cheaply you can get by on a bike, I think wheels would be the last place you'd try to save money. You can get nice wheels built with Velocity rims, the A23 is a good rim. I've got a set of wheels with Quill rims that are nice, they're laced up with DB spokes to 6800 hubs. Nice solid wheelset that wasn't expensive but not cheap either.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:39 PM

Their wheels and hubs are solid.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:23 AM

I think their hubs used to be re-branded Formula, I have a set and they have been fine. Typical mid level cartridge bearing hubs.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 AM
Riding Along

Great rims for the money, and many brands, including HED, use hubs built by someone else. There is is not shortage of great rims out there and hubs for reasonable costs. However, build quality of the wheel is, by far, the most important thing to consider.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 AM

I bought a set from them at a good price while doing a 650b conversion. Beautiful made wheels that never gave me a bit of trouble.

They were custom ordered to a certain spec after talking to customer service about what I needed. They were helpful without being pushy and then the build and delivery was quick. I wouldn't hesitate to use them if they have something that meets your needs.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
I see rims and occasionally full wheels from them.

Always had the impression their rims were slightly above most generic/common brands but not as nice as Belgiums or the like. Always had the impression their hubs/full wheels were mediocre - pretty sure they rebrand their hubs, no idea who the OEM is. Realized I have little basis for this and might be totally off base.

Went looking for more info and found little. So, what are your thoughts on them?
I have been building with Velocity rims for a long time, built hundreds. Never have dealt with the complete wheels but have sold a fair amount of their hubs. 'Some' QC issues when they moved the entire factory from Australia to Florida but that was quite a while ago. VERY nice rims, lotsa selection, widths, sizes, tubeless, finish..GREAT product. Depending on model, 'nearly' on par with HED..remember, MSRP to MSRP..HED are often pushing $150 per..NOT 30% better than a Velocity $100 rim.

Hubs are made for them, they don't make them in Florida.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 AM
Administrator

velocity rims are excellent in my experience.

i miss aeroheads, they were my favorite road rims. available with offset rear, they built up to a very competent traditional road wheelset, and the silver finish was great.

dyads are great touring rims, and heavier duty gravel capable.

A23's are also quite nice, decently cheap and readily available.

i'm a fan.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 AM

How much does offset help? Always felt a little weird truing it but that could just be in my head.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
How much does offset help? Always felt a little weird truing it but that could just be in my head.
How much? 'Lots'...in this age of 11/12s rear hubs, with the RH flange getting closer and closer to the hub centerline..any way to increase LH spoke tension compared to RH(which stays constant in the 100-120KGF range for most rims) is a good thing..some brainiac will put a number on it but if I can get a OC rear rim(and some for disc fronts too), I do it.

As far as 'truing it'..seems pretty normal to me..

A23 a great example.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM

I have an old set of factory built escape wheels that have been going for about 25 years now. I had my LBS do a tune up on them a few years ago and they are still going strong. I do not put much milage on them these days as the are on an old basso ascot with a mis mash of parts but still fun to get out my first real bike every once in a while.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Had a pair of Escape rims (since discontinued). Superlight tubie rims. Rode great, felt good, but got cracks in the rear after about 1,000 miles around the eyelets.

Only time I've had something like that happen, but I partially blame my fat butt and terrible Charlotte roads.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
I think their hubs used to be re-branded Formula, I have a set and they have been fine. Typical mid level cartridge bearing hubs.
+1. They were.

Velocity RIMS are excellent. LOVE the Dyads in polished silver for a retro build. Have never used their hubs, excepting two Velocity-built sets about 10-12 years ago that never stayed true. Rebuilt them and sold them off.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM

The Quill rim looks interesting - anyone have experience?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
The Quill rim looks interesting - anyone have experience?

My son has a pair on his Ritchey Swiss Cross. Too wide for that bike. Make sure you have enough pad clearance for them.