Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2022, 01:29 PM

I've been a long time Cannondale fanboi and still love getting out on my CAAD10 every once in a while. My 58cm clears 30's no problem btw.

But with all the research I did on the CAAD13, I think the appeal and the allure of what the long CAAD line represented is lost on it's latest iteration. At least to a certain point. From the articles and research I did it's not as though the 13 is a noodle, but everyone said it was "noticeably" less stiff than the CAAD10.

Also, the geometry has changed as well so be aware of that

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/cann...caad13-review/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg caad.jpg (132.9 KB, 477 views)
Old 08-23-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I've been a long time Cannondale fanboi and still love getting out on my CAAD10 every once in a while. My 58cm clears 30's no problem btw.

But with all the research I did on the CAAD13, I think the appeal and the allure of what the long CAAD line represented is lost on it's latest iteration. At least to a certain point. From the articles and research I did it's not as though the 13 is a noodle, but everyone said it was "noticeably" less stiff than the CAAD10.

Also, the geometry has changed as well so be aware of that.
The geometry change was disappointing for me. From the CAAD7 through the CAAD10 (including the Six13s, original SystemSixes, and gen 1-2 SuperSixes), Cannondale road geometry stayed constant. They were slightly longer and lower than their competitors. The CAAD12 gained a little stack, but the CAAD13 gained 1.5cm of stack and lost 0.5cm of reach compared to a CAAD10 (in my size 56). This may not seem like much of a change, but it likely rules out the CAAD13 as a future purchase for me.

Greg
Old 08-23-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
The geometry change was disappointing for me. From the CAAD7 through the CAAD10 (including the Six13s, original SystemSixes, and gen 1-2 SuperSixes), Cannondale road geometry stayed constant. They were slightly longer and lower than their competitors. The CAAD12 gained a little stack, but the CAAD13 gained 1.5cm of stack and lost 0.5cm of reach compared to a CAAD10 (in my size 56). This may not seem like much of a change, but it likely rules out the CAAD13 as a future purchase for me.

Greg
Their geometry was certainly always a part of the appeal for me as well. I've ridden a size 58 SuperSix, CAAD9 and CAAD10 and the 57.5 TT and 175 HT with 130 stem was dead on for me. Reading how the geometry had changed made it way less appealing, plus given the fact they're not as stiff made me think that I'll just wait till I find a good used one to try out instead of buying new
Old 08-23-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’m contemplating “upgrading” my Caad10 with a new Caad13 frame (if I can find one).
Love the retro paint. But more importantly, 2 features I want are:
- Tire clearance. Cannondale says 28mm(rim brake), which is better than 25mm on the Caad10.
- Fender mounts.

The only thing I don’t like is that dropped seat stay.

Anyone have one of these? I’d guess not much different than my Caad10, as far as handling or ride quality goes.
No go. No matter how great it rides. Looks like it got hit with the Ugly Stick.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 08-23-2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:06 PM

You could always go with a CAAD12 instead...

Secondhand on the used market, of course, but there's a good supply of them out there.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Their geometry was certainly always a part of the appeal for me as well. I've ridden a size 58 SuperSix, CAAD9 and CAAD10 and the 57.5 TT and 175 HT with 130 stem was dead on for me. Reading how the geometry had changed made it way less appealing, plus given the fact they're not as stiff made me think that I'll just wait till I find a good used one to try out instead of buying new
The CAAD 10 will always have a special place in the pantheon for me. The first bike (along with the Merckx EX) that really got me into cycling.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The CAAD 10 will always have a special place in the pantheon for me. The first bike (along with the Merckx EX) that really got me into cycling.
Ditto. I love that damn bike.

When I went from team sponsored rider to having to pay for my own bikes the CAAD10 was the first bike I bought and I was like "wait......this thing rides just as well as the BH ultralight I just had to give up".

They definitely got it RIGHT with the CAAD10
Old 08-23-2022, 03:46 PM
n - 1

I just assumed the frames were the same but glad I asked. Maybe I won’t be making the switch as the Caad10’s fit is spot on for me and is comfortable for century rides or fast/short rides.

I may try to see if PDW fenders will work with those axle mounted fender tabs.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Ditto. I love that damn bike.

When I went from team sponsored rider to having to pay for my own bikes the CAAD10 was the first bike I bought and I was like "wait......this thing rides just as well as the BH ultralight I just had to give up".

They definitely got it RIGHT with the CAAD10
I bought my CAAD10 through the Paceline classifieds. I built it up over the winter while recovering from shoulder surgery. Come spring, I only had a few rides on it before my first race. My initial impressions were somewhat mixed, neither loving nor disliking it. Then I rode my first race with it. It was like a thoroughbred that was allowed to run on the track. It felt like it was in its element, at home when ridden fast and hard. Definitely a great bang-for-the-buck race bike!

Greg
Old 08-23-2022, 09:35 PM

I love how that CAAD13 looks...BUT...I wouldn't ditch a CAAD10 for a 13. I think you'll either end up exactly where you started, or a little behind. I'm on a CAAD12 with 30's...I don't like the 30's. I think 28's would be max before they start to rob the bike of that "CAAD" feel (for reference 58cm, 6'-3", 210lbs+). My vote, find a used Supersix hi-mod and spend $600 on a retro paint job. Don't let go of that CAAD10!

*I do love that retro paint job though. The first Cannondale I ever rode was one of the pepto-pink CAAD 6's. It was electric!
Old 08-23-2022, 10:25 PM

Cool paint scheme--retro for sure!

Love the CAAD frames. I'd pull trigger in a blink on a pristine CAAD9 if someone had one in my size. Genuinely regret selling mine a few years back....duh...
Old 08-24-2022, 10:49 AM

I love my CAAD 10, I have a new BMC carbon bike, but I still ride my CAAD 10 from time to time, in fact I just raced it last night, and in all honesty I can't say that the new BMC feels any faster.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Cool paint scheme--retro for sure!

Love the CAAD frames. I'd pull trigger in a blink on a pristine CAAD9 if someone had one in my size. Genuinely regret selling mine a few years back....duh...
I’m in the same boat. The CAAD9 was literally the nexus of looks, ride quality and price point.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I just assumed the frames were the same but glad I asked. Maybe I won’t be making the switch as the Caad10’s fit is spot on for me and is comfortable for century rides or fast/short rides.

I may try to see if PDW fenders will work with those axle mounted fender tabs.
I finished PBP on a CAAD 10 with SKS RaceBlade Longs and a 23/25 GP4000. So that's one option that will work if you need fenders. The PDW ones may be better but no experience. Critically the RaceBlade ones don't have the actual fender go through the brake bridge or fork so it has less impact on tire clearance than some other options.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:38 PM

I sold mine to a forum member ages ago and forget who. Hopefully they're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I’m in the same boat. The CAAD9 was literally the nexus of looks, ride quality and price point.

Tags
cult of caad