Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
In my neck of the woods, the guys on TT bikes are "in the zone" and waving would disrupt their aerodynamics.

Or better yet, the guys who wear some local team jersey and cannot wave.

F off dude.
Twats. This past summer I turned a corner out in the countryside, saw a guy about a full klick away going in my direction, so I slowed down to let him catch up to me. Which in my experience is what lone roadies in the wild normally do, at least in these sheltered precincts.

But he'd obviously sped up to his max, seeing that I wasn't going so fast, and buzzed me with inches to spare. If that wasn't bizarre enough, for the next ten minutes he continually turned his head around to check on how far he'd left me in the dust, each time obviously feeling consternation that he hadn't put as much distance between us as he would have liked to. Or maybe he was wondering if I was actually going to catch up to him?

Either way, I just rode my ride, and had no desire to talk to the weirdo considering the dick move he'd just pulled.

Roadies are the worst. Except for me and my friends.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Twats. This past summer I turned a corner out in the countryside, saw a guy about a full klick away going in my direction, so I slowed down to let him catch up to me. Which in my experience is what lone roadies in the wild normally do, at least in these sheltered precincts.

But he'd obviously sped up to his max, seeing that I wasn't going so fast, and buzzed me with inches to spare. If that wasn't bizarre enough, for the next ten minutes he continually turned his head around to check on how far he'd left me in the dust, each time obviously feeling consternation that he hadn't put as much distance between us as he would have liked to. Or maybe he was wondering if I was actually going to catch up to him?

Either way, I just rode my ride, and had no desire to talk to the weirdo considering the dick move he'd just pulled.

Why so judgemental? Nobody owes you anything while passing on a ride. Some people like to ride solo. No need to force it.

Wow.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Why so judgemental? Nobody owes you anything while passing on a ride. Some people like to ride solo. No need to force it.

Wow.
He almost hit me as he passed me. Came literally within an inch or two. On an empty country road with no one around.

When you fail at common courtesy because you're so anxious to leave a deep impression on someone about how awesome you are, you're a twat.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
He almost hit me as he passed me. Came literally within an inch or two. On an empty country road with no one around.

When you fail at common courtesy because you're so anxious to leave a deep impression on someone about how awesome you are, you're a twat.
Well sure...if the guy did something borderline aggressive or dangerous that's BS. Maybe he just eyed you up and figured you were hanging back so you guys could race bikes. Who knows.

That said, this notion that we are all part of some big happy family/fraternity and everytime I see someone else out riding in their Captain America outfit I need to explicitly acknowledge them or I am some elitist whatever is just plain silly.

I'm a nice guy, I wave to people. I say hi to people on the street. But if I look up and some other rider male or female obviously huffing it, maybe doing a brick or repeats I don't feel the need to sit up and wave howdy doody to them. Why would I? The same goes for me not waving back sometimes. Usually it's be cause I am freaking sucking wind... with sweat in my eyes and I just don't care who is out riding their bike down the same street that day as me.

It's not personal.

I'm out.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 PM

courtesy is not the roadie way

Quote:

I agree no one is forced to wave back-they will waste precious nano-watts
or ergs, or be less aero.
Many of these fools want to “race” all the time. A few months back I was descending on steep switchbacks when I was passed by 3 inches on a turn by a bloke on a plastic BMC with the store mandated wheel reflectors on his bike. I easily caught him to say hello and ask him to call out if he was passing. He studiously ignored me. Was I mad? No, ashamed of the far too common ‘tude
I have noticed in 40 years of riding.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Well sure...if the guy did something borderline aggressive or dangerous that's BS. Maybe he just eyed you up and figured you were hanging back so you guys could race bikes. Who knows.

That said, this notion that we are all part of some big happy family/fraternity and everytime I see someone else out riding in their Captain America outfit I need to explicitly acknowledge them or I am some elitist whatever is just plain silly.

I'm a nice guy, I wave to people. I say hi to people on the street. But if I look up and some other rider male or female obviously huffing it, maybe doing a brick or repeats I don't feel the need to sit up and wave howdy doody to them. Why would I? The same goes for me not waving back sometimes. Usually it's be cause I am freaking sucking wind... with sweat in my eyes and I just don't care who is out riding their bike down the same street that day as me.

It's not personal.

I'm out.

I agree with this, not sure way folks get so sucked up when others are just doing their own thing. Let it go, its not about you.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:13 AM

Great thread. I find most riders very friendly. Ones who aren’t who cares. Life is to short to worry about every a-hole. Am I a bike snob? My current stable says yes but I enjoy seeing anyone out enjoying a bike ride no matter what type of bike.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRyEI00PXc
Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 AM

Some expensive bikes are really nice. Some inexpensive bikes are really nice. All bikes are nice.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
And once I have done that, she signed off on me adding a couple more bikes.
Dang! Shoulda started a thread about that!

So... whatcha getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
In my neck of the woods, the guys on TT bikes are "in the zone" and waving would disrupt their aerodynamics.
In my neck of the woods, the guys on TT bikes couldn't ride a straight line if their lives depended on it, and waving would cause them to crash.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Whoa! Sorry pals...I guess. For going AWOL for most of the day. Today is my wife's day off, so I took the day off too to spend time with her. We went running and the gym in the morning. And then we went to our favorite Asian treats and then then we bought a whole truckload of persimmon at the oriental market. She absolutely loves persimmons. And once I have done that, she signed off on me adding a couple more bikes. And then we took a nap. And then I went for a bike ride. And then our kids came home from school, we played with them and fed them the yummy food we bought earlier. And then here I am, logging back on to my favorite forum...er....what did I miss?
Persimmons?! That is all it takes for couple more bikes? Such lucky man.

PS. It is very cold in the Mid-Atlantic today. And our local ski hill just opened for the season. I will be able to try my new skis soon. In other words, winter is here.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 12-15-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:57 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Persimmons?! That is all it takes for couple more bikes? Such lucky man.
Every one of us has a @weakness...just have to find it and you got the universe on the palm of your hand.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Roadies are the worst. Except for me... .
This sounds like all drivers who think they are better than average, myself included. We are our own worst ambassadors some days and shining beacons of hope the next. I'll give a pass to most people and hope I can be on the positive side of the bell curve as many days as possible.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 AM

I don't think anyone is expecting every cyclist to sit up and wave, say hello and start a conversation. Maybe I expect too much, but for some reason I expect some form of courtesy from fellow cyclists. If you can't or don't want to wave, fine, I get it, you're in the zone, setting a Strava PR on your TT bike in your full kit and would crash if you lifted a finger off the bars. How about a nob? Maybe even just making eye contact to acknowledge a fellow cyclist? But no, 90% of the road cyclists around here completely ignore other riders. Or maybe it's just me they are ignoring? Casual cyclist and mountain bikers are the opposite, with 90% giving some kind of greeting.

And runners are the exact same. Road runners snubbing and trail runners being friendly.

My conclusion is there is something about the pavement that makes people anti-social. That's why my road rides are taking place more and more on dirt/gravel roads.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
I don't think anyone is expecting every cyclist to sit up and wave, say hello and start a conversation. Maybe I expect too much, but for some reason I expect some form of courtesy from fellow cyclists. If you can't or don't want to wave, fine, I get it, you're in the zone, setting a Strava PR on your TT bike in your full kit and would crash if you lifted a finger off the bars. How about a nob? Maybe even just making eye contact to acknowledge a fellow cyclist? But no, 90% of the road cyclists around here completely ignore other riders. Or maybe it's just me they are ignoring? Casual cyclist and mountain bikers are the opposite, with 90% giving some kind of greeting.

And runners are the exact same. Road runners snubbing and trail runners being friendly.

My conclusion is there is something about the pavement that makes people anti-social. That's why my road rides are taking place more and more on dirt/gravel roads.
Your choosing to ride more on dirt and gravel because cyclists don't wave back at you?

Tags
pal