Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
II consider the bike to be beyond reproach, but obviously my sense of style is quite different than many. I thought it best if the thread were removed.
Sorry if I was a contributor.

I appreciate the work and custom touches (crank & stem) you put into your Passoni. I don't often comment about other peoples kit but your's was special (very good) and thought I'd mention that one bit.

Enjoy many happy miles.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 AM

This was my last Passoni.
gorgeous bike. Very stiff. Finishes were outstanding.
Then needed a more versatile bike for gravel etc so I sold it.

+1 on Signature. Fitting done right when you drop all that money is of paramount importance. Signature fixed my bike couple of time and their service and knowledge is incredible.

I went also to Bike Effect in Santa Monica when i was there and the shop is very nice. Multiple people told me the owner of Bike Effect is quite the authority when it comes to bike fitting.
So i guess really depends logistically whether you reside east or west coast.
No matter what you will be very pleased with the Passoni. It is costly but its allure and performance will last long time.

GOOD LUCK!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passoni.jpg (149.1 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Jeff, would a painted fork push the price over 10 large?

https://bikeeffect.com/collections/b...ni-top-force-w
Glad you brought that up. Passoni's come with a Columbus carbon fork with, if you ask, their logo at the top. If I had it to do over I would've ordered a Top Force without their fork and,instead,buy an Enve 2.0 fork. The steerer on the Columbus was only 300mm long which was too short for my liking...I would've had to slam the stem all the way down with minimal spacers...I prefer a more upright riding position. The Enve steerer is 350mm long and a much better fork, IMO, and allowed me to cut to my desired length (I had JB paint it black and bury logo decals under clear coat). When ordering, I already knew ALL my numbers (HT and ST length/angles, TT effective length and slope, CS length, etc.) so there was no measuring involved and simplified things considerably. Also, you're going to save on sales tax if you are out west and buy from the east. Something to consider.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 12-15-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
This was my last Passoni.
gorgeous bike. Very stiff. Finishes were outstanding.
Then needed a more versatile bike for gravel etc so I sold it.

+1 on Signature. Fitting done right when you drop all that money is of paramount importance. Signature fixed my bike couple of time and their service and knowledge is incredible.

I went also to Bike Effect in Santa Monica when i was there and the shop is very nice. Multiple people told me the owner of Bike Effect is quite the authority when it comes to bike fitting.
So i guess really depends logistically whether you reside east or west coast.
No matter what you will be very pleased with the Passoni. It is costly but its allure and performance will last long time.

GOOD LUCK!
Perfection.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Interesting thread as it seems to illustrate the culture of Paceline. I signed up almost 5 years ago and immediately sensed that there was a type of civility here that isn't common in other corners of the internet. But, I've always wondered if it was the type of politeness that my friend from Iowa calls "stab you in the back phony niceness." I'm not a cultural anthropologist so I wont comment. However, could it be that Paceline is somewhat behind the times as there are more voices in the culture now. One of my clients is an Indonesian-born Chinese professor. I love to hear his stories about his "bluntness" getting him into hot water with his colleagues. And we're talking about people in the social sciences who are aware of context. I guess the question becomes when does sensitivity supersede intent or context. And can you ever really be sure online? In any case, the guys I know with very expensive toys - watches, cars, boats - these guys like to show off their nice things but they also like to critique the nice things of others. They claim, as others here have said, it's part of the educational process in the journey from dilettante to connoisseur.

Last edited by m4rk540; 12-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:16 PM

sometimes you need to turn the computer off, meet fellow paceliners in real time for coffee or a ride. you know, be social. in person!

the internet is both a blessing and a curse.

this is one of the best viewpoints i've come across on the curses of "social media," coming from a guy who helped invent the concept. some parts are nsfw, there's a few f-bombs in there (which i found to be unnecessary since his message is so powerful as is, but hey, he can say what he wants).

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/...-apart-society

"Palihapitiya’s criticisms were aimed not only at Facebook, but the wider online ecosystem. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works,” he said, referring to online interactions driven by “hearts, likes, thumbs-up.” “No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
Interesting thread as it seems to illustrate the culture of Paceline. I signed up almost 5 years ago and immediately sensed that there was a type of civility here that isn't common in other corners of the internet. But, I've always wondered if it was the type of politeness that my friend from Iowa calls "stab you in the back phony niceness." I'm not a cultural anthropologist so I wont comment. However, could it be that Paceline is somewhat behind the times as there are more voices in the culture now. One of my clients is an Indonesian-born Chinese professor. I love to hear his stories about his "bluntness" getting him into hot water with his colleagues. And we're talking about people in the social sciences who are aware of context. I guess the question becomes when does sensitivity supersede intent or content. And can you ever really be sure online? In any case, the guys I know with very expensive toys - watches, cars, boats - these guys like to show off their nice things but they also like to critique the nice things of others. They claim, as others here have said, it's part of the educational process in the journey from dilettante to a connoisseur.

Last edited by 54ny77; 12-15-2017 at 01:19 PM.