Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM

OT: Subaru Impreza (Gen II)

Been researching, and will continue to browse the web and here, but thought I'd reach out to the collective wisdom of our PL'ers. Know there is a pretty strong Subaru following here.

Anyway, my daughter will be getting her license soon. So we're in car search mode.

Found a 2007 with about 116k on the clock. 2.5i, non-turbo. The timing belt, water pump, and gaskets have been changed. Understand gaskets can be a problem, just not sure how often the would need to be replaced?

Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks in advance for the time. And before I forget, Happy Holidays to all.

Best Regards,
Jeff
Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 AM

I have nothing to offer here but it would be interesting see what others have to say. I'm actually thinking about getting a Subaru of similar years maybe an outback or forester model instead of the impresza for more room. They seem like good deals for what you get with awd but I wonder if the awd makes for more higher repair costs. Thinking about cv joints and wheel bearings on the older higher mileage cars. Right now I'm driving a 2002 gmc sierra 4wd truck it's kinda rusty underneath and has numerous stuff that needs to be repaired but at the core of it is a strong v8 engine and drive train. I kinda feel as cheap as some things are on my gmc not having a dedicated awd makes for a more reliable drivetrain with less repairs. Just something to consider. Don't mean to steal the thread or steer it away from the op but I think it good to consider awd repairs as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Have a similar one, '09 with 115k that's my stepdaughters. In the last year we've had to replace the entire a/c system (condenser behind the dash as is common) at around $2.5k, the entire cooling system due to a rad failure (crappy plastic endcaps like most modern cars) and the headgasket (common failure on this engine) which was another $2.5k.

The car itself is very nice and awd is great, but the bulletproof subies of old are history.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Have a similar one, '09 with 115k that's my stepdaughters. In the last year we've had to replace the entire a/c system (condenser behind the dash as is common) at around $2.5k, the entire cooling system due to a rad failure (crappy plastic endcaps like most modern cars) and the headgasket (common failure on this engine) which was another $2.5k.

The car itself is very nice and awd is great, but the bulletproof subies of old are history.
Yeah that was my thoughts. The money you spent on repairs is almost as much as I paid for my gmc sierra over three years ago. I paid $6,200 and I figure I have about $1,500 in maintaining it. I mostly just drive the truck to work so I put up with no a/c, the heater blows hot but the first two fan speeds don't work. Fuel gauge works when it feels like it. ect, ect. but at the core of it this truck has a very reliable drive train and even the cooling system seems stout for something the lives in Ma and Nh for fifteen years. I'm not sure a Subie of similar year would fare as well...strictly talking about the drivetrain and under the hood.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM

Well, all I can offer is I had a 2002 WRX which was based off the Impreza. I had that car for 11 years and 160,000 miles. It was really reliable.

One rear strut leaked early on and was replaced under warranty. Same for the 6 disc CD player. I did have the cracked fuel rail issue that I paid for too. I never sought reimbursement when the recall came out. The only other issue was a tensioner pulley going back. I replaced that myself. Otherwise when I sold it the car was still going strong. No other issues except for normal maintenance, timing belt, brakes, etc. For 160,000 mile car I'd say that's really good.

Mine was also running a COBB tune so that put more stress on everything due to the increased HP/torque output.

I would not hesitate to get another Subaru. Mine was fitted with snow tires every winter and was a rock solid winter commuter. Paint still looked awesome when I sold it and no rust anywhere.

I do remember the cloth on the seats did have some fade from the sun but no wear at all.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Strong Walker

My current ride is a '99 Forester Turbo which hasn't let me down in 6 years - the last year, i did 60.000km in it. My next car is a Subaru.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
My current ride is a '99 Forester Turbo which hasn't let me down in 6 years - the last year, i did 60.000km in it. My next car is a Subaru.
Love the signature!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Realize you are not looking for new but I purchased 2017 Impreza in August. Redesigned with more interior space. Really like the handling and interior design. Acceleration is adequate. I got 36 mpg with bike rake (absent bike) on top on highway. Gettiing about 27 mpg around Puget Sound area - a lot of traffic. Just sold '02 Legacy Wagon with 160k, had very little trouble with it.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:18 PM
n - 1

I wouldn't buy one of that vintage, personally. If you need AWD, maybe a CRV or Rav4 would be best. Toyota Matrix also came in AWD as well. Subaru's AWD is better than both of those, but not bad either. Just get some good snow tires.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall View Post
Anyway, my daughter will be getting her license soon. So we're in car search mode.
so, basically this car just needs to get her to school and back, maybe a few trips to the grocery store or to visit friends? If the price is right, I say go for it. It's safe, much more reliable than, say, a Dodge Neon, and not so much horsepower she's going to wear tires out every 6 months. Its already 10-11 years old...anything that old is going to be a maintenance crap shoot anyway. I'd take my chances with a Subie over a lot of others.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 PM

I have an 06 Forester with the same mileage and have had all of the same work done on my car. The only things I can add are watch the cat converters. My first pair went out after 60000 but Subaru warrantied them. The AC randomly stops blowing cold air for a few minutes occasionally in 90+ TX temps but then comes back on and my mech can't explain it or duplicate it. The AC does get used for 9-10 months out of the year. Otherwise it has been a good car.
Find a cheaper non-dealer mechanic. My experience is that any car that goes over 100000 just needs regular check-ups and something major usually needs to be replaced every year or 2.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:47 PM

I’ve had my 2004 Forester XT 5spd for over 7 years and I’d buy another one. I’ve actually been looking for a cheaper/older Subaru for my son. Hard to find good ones under $1500, regardless of year.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 PM
slower than you

Subaru owner since 93. As far as I understand, the 99s to 03 had cooling issues that required a head machining and repair, but, that whole thing was recalled and my 01 was fixed for free and warranty extended to 100 grand on the engine. But, beware of those years. Now, second issue is oil depletion, which, I think, started in 06 or 07 and wasn't fixed until 11 or 12. I got nailed by that one in my present car, a 10 Forester. Engine toasted half way across the country last Spring at 100,000 miles. Had to spend 7000 to get home. Now, I'm stuck with this thing for a few years because I can't make up that money in a sale or trade in. Not happy. Partly my fault for not checking my oil, but, really, who checks their oil these days? Well, I do from now on. No idiot light, btw.

I wouldn't buy one used. Shame. Hell of a snow car. I ski a lot, and they are beasts with snow tires, and even without, if the all weathers are fresh. There are alternatives. The Honda CRV and HRV are nice. The Korean Hyundai and Kia's are well made and warrantied to 100,000 miles. I'd look at one of those certified used.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 AM

head gaskets are a preventative maintenance item on subarus. plan on every 100k.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 AM

As just mentioned, the head gaskets need to be done on a regular cycle in that vintage of Subaru. If it had the last one done recently, it shouldn't be a problem. Remember that on this engine it takes a bit of work to get to the gaskets.

That really applies to Subarus of that vintage in general. They aren't like either the old pre-1999 ones nor the post-2015 ones. There was a period where they felt they needed to modernize their cars a bit after many years of stasis and they just didn't know how to engineer improvements with appropriate reliability. Small things, well down the road, tended to bite them. They are extremely good about warrantying such issues and about dealing with older cars with them, because they really do understand that their reputation rests especially on how those cars in that vintage range perform.

What's relevant to your daughter is that she really does have to do regular inspections and maintenance. Check fluid levels at each refueling, get regular oil changes at a Subaru dealership (independent quick lube shops don't check for the specific Subaru issues that a dealership will, and dealership oil changes are not overpriced), that kind of thing.

These are issues, but it's hard to find any vehicle out there without one kind of problem or another. The Impreza at that vintage was very much a bargain Subaru, but there are other Subarus that come pretty close to the same price at that vintage with fewer repeat problems. I'd encourage you to get her a Subaru, just look at other models besides the Impreza as well. That's not to rule out the Impreza, or this particular vehicle. Just for a small amount more you might snag her an Outback. I've owned Hondas, VWs, Toyotas, and so on, and not had one that didn't have the same kind of stories. Subaru owners tend to be obsessive about their vehicles so chronic problems tend to get more play than in other brands.