Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
the weight of a bike and a half. you must be flying now. that's how i feel after losing just 10 lbs. a few hundred grams will be nothing compared to what you have lost. why not just enjoy the eternal lightness of being and leave a little weight in your wallet for something more obviously delightful.
Yeah that is a good approach. However this is one of those carrots I am dangling in front of me as a motivation factor.

I can't wait to go back out and ride the commuter route to see how much I have improved. Losing 30+ lbs gotta improve my avg speed by 1/2 a mile
Old 03-29-2020, 07:10 PM

I'd check out Velomine's website if you're looking to treat yourself to something nice. They build their own wheels and have a lot of nice wheelsets for sale at very reasonable prices. A lot of times they are not 'off the shelf' builds either, so they are unique.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I'd check out Velomine's website if you're looking to treat yourself to something nice. They build their own wheels and have a lot of nice wheelsets for sale at very reasonable prices. A lot of times they are not 'off the shelf' builds either, so they are unique.
Thanks! Definitely checking them out.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM

There are some cheap Dura axe wheels in the classifieds, please buy them so I don’t have to.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
There are some cheap Dura axe wheels in the classifieds, please buy them so I don’t have to.
Nice! Probably too deep for what I am looking for. You should get it. They look great.

PS. Also I am not at my goal yet so I will wait. That is unless a set of Bora One 35 show up

Last edited by tuxbailey; 03-29-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

How about..

DT350 laced to DT 411. 20h front, 28h rear using either D-Lite or Laser mixed with Sapim Race drive side rear.

OR Bitex hubs laced to BTLOS carbon hoops using the same spoke mix

Either less than $1000

Old 03-30-2020, 06:36 AM

The wheels you already have are top notch. I really don't see new wheels helping you climb any faster. As has been mentioned many times, the bike does not climb by itself, our bodies are along for the ride. So, losing 100 or so grams, given the overall package, gets lost in the noise. Now, if aesthetics are the primary driver here, then, go to town.

Tim
Old 03-30-2020, 06:48 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
The wheels you already have are top notch. I really don't see new wheels helping you climb any faster. As has been mentioned many times, the bike does not climb by itself, our bodies are along for the ride. So, losing 100 or so grams, given the overall package, gets lost in the noise. Now, if aesthetics are the primary driver here, then, go to town.

Tim
My thoughts exactly.

My personal experience seems to support that.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Tim
Haha. That is a great point.

I do know that the wheels I got are very nice and any improvements I get with new wheels will fir the law of diminishing return given my abilities.

So I will put in some more thoughts in this.

I got 15 lbs duration to think about
Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
How about..

DT350 laced to DT 411. 20h front, 28h rear using either D-Lite or Laser mixed with Sapim Race drive side rear.

OR Bitex hubs laced to BTLOS carbon hoops using the same spoke mix

Either less than $1000

Thanks. I will definitely talk to you before I buy anything new. But if a set of Bora One 35 shows up in the classified I might have to jump just for my vanity
Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Thanks. I will definitely talk to you before I buy anything new. But if a set of Bora One 35 shows up in the classified I might have to jump just for my vanity
Absolutely!! Great hubs and great wheels!!
Old 03-30-2020, 08:13 AM

FWIW - the Mavics you own are 1,485g according to Mavic. Most of the suggested wheels in this thread are likely at least as heavy. My suggestion is to do what I did, if this matters - pull the wheels and remove tires and tubes and skewers and weigh them. At least you'll have a baseline. My two bare wheelset weights differ by 306g on the same scale, more than would be found by comparing component weights.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=105
Old 03-30-2020, 10:45 AM

Yeah I plan to do that for both wheelsets just get positive confirmation.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 AM
v a n i l l a

Stock Mavic Kysrium ES/SL etc is 1450g-ish

As noted, most wheels in your budget will be that or heavier, perhaps up to 1600g.

So new wheels are NOT a weight saver. I'd agree with the comment that what you have is fine unless you want carbon/aero in which case the best bang for buck choice is Bora One 35

Alternatively the Mavic R-SYS SLR that I recently sold could have merited some consideration - 100g lighter, all black exalith aesthetics, and noticeably better braking than standard aluminum rim.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Tim
Yea, I would dress up my bike, no real gains outside of aesthetics. If you like the way your bike looks it can be a big motivating factor!
Bikes are simply beautiful toys, my bikes causes similar joy as if I possessed vintage cars.

Last edited by Tony; 03-30-2020 at 12:35 PM.