Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 04:06 PM

Looks right to me.. I've always seen a slight gap on cranksets
Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

I don't recall Veloce Cranks having bolt covers that screw in. As I recall.....they just had pieces of plastic around the allen head crank arm bolt. Centaur had a little nicer allen head crank arm bolt that completely filled the hole. The Centaur ones would work on a Veloce crank arm.

Like this...except the Veloce may have had plastic around the bolt, where Centaur and up was metal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-...Rpn:rk:25:pf:0

I have 4 cranksets with these bolts.

Last edited by Ralph; 02-10-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:08 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I don't recall Veloce Cranks having bolt covers that screw in. As I recall.....they just had pieces of plastic around the allen head crank arm bolt. Centaur had a little nicer allen head crank arm bolt that completely filled the hole. The Centaur ones would work on a Veloce crank arm.

Like this...except the Veloce may have had plastic around the bolt, where Centaur and up was metal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-...Rpn:rk:25:pf:0

I have 4 cranksets with these bolts.
Yeah, I initially started to use the allen head crank arm bolts from the square taper Record cranks I have since that would have obviated the need for the cover caps (I had already determined the threading problem with the cap on the drive side). Unfortunately, it seems that the Record cranks have a larger diameter hole surrounding the crank bolt because at a certain point the allen crank bolt began removing the threads from the crank arm. At that point I backed it out and switched to the NR bolts.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM

Yes....save the threads for the puller. Earlier C Record used some self extracting bolts. Hard to find and valuable.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 PM

I have't read through the whole thread, but are these one of the sets I sold you? I included the original Campy bolts for both, the allen headed plastic perimeter ring ones.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 PM

If you have roughed up the threads on the crank arms a bit.....maybe you can use the NR crank arm puller to fix them up a bit. Run the puller in and out a few times making sure you are threading correctly (NOT reverse threaded). Steel puller on aluminum arms should do it...carefully.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:39 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I have't read through the whole thread, but are these one of the sets I sold you? I included the original Campy bolts for both, the allen headed plastic perimeter ring ones.
Hey, thanks for chiming in -- yep, these are the more worn pair. Apparently my brother neglected to notice the second set of bolts. I will now harangue him for his neglect.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Well, one out of three isn't too bad…

Grease on bolt threads, check, but not around washers (does that mean a dab on the interior of the crank where the washer sits against it?).

I put grease on the spindle thinking it would ease seating of the crank arm, knew I should have checked in with OP first. How serious of a mistake is that? I.e., am I better off removing, drying the spindle, and reinstalling?

Unfortunately, it seems that the threads on the interior of the drive side crank have been mangled slightly so I can't get the cover to thread in smoothly, and I assume that's not correctable so I'm going sans caps.

Thanks all.

You’re going to need those threads to use a crank puller when you want to remove them. You should tap the threads to chase them...as suggested earlier...very carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Well, one out of three isn't too bad…
Grease on bolt threads, check, but not around washers (does that mean a dab on the interior of the crank where the washer sits against it?).

I put grease on the spindle thinking it would ease seating of the crank arm, knew I should have checked in with OP first. How serious of a mistake is that? I.e., am I better off removing, drying the spindle, and reinstalling?

Unfortunately, it seems that the threads on the interior of the drive side crank have been mangled slightly so I can't get the cover to thread in smoothly, and I assume that's not correctable so I'm going sans caps.

Thanks all.
Yup, or on the washer outside so bolt can turn easily against washer when torquing on that dry spindle.

Did you use a torque wrench? Each time you take off and put on, the aluminum crank flats 'stretch a little. If you torqued to that 30 ft-lbs, I'd leave them on.

Because the threads are buggered, you may cross thread a crank puller so I'd leave it alone..you may look for a thread chase tool to clean those up before you take the crank off.

Altho caps look nice, if crank on tight enough, no need for cap..it was there to keep crank on if you loosened a crank bolt..C Record cranks(and CDA) had self extractors and were left threaded...so....

Bicycle research tool..the one I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.jpg (8.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-11-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:16 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Because the threads are buggered, you may cross thread a crank puller so I'd leave it alone..you may look for a thread chase tool to clean those up before you take the crank off.

Bicycle research tool..the one I have.
Thanks Peter. I'm not sure if the pictured tool is for crank extraction (I have my trusty old Campy tool for that) or chasing the threads.

Can someone please point me to a thread chase tool and guidance on its use?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks Peter. I'm not sure if the pictured tool is for crank extraction (I have my trusty old Campy tool for that) or chasing the threads.

Can someone please point me to a thread chase tool and guidance on its use?
That’s a thread chase tool. Screw post into bb spindle(crank on BB), it’s a guide, then threaded piece thread chaser/cutter.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Small ring

Quote:
That’s a thread chase tool. Screw post into bb spindle(crank on BB), it’s a guide, then threaded piece thread chaser/cutter.
Same tool I have, Bicycle Research TC-8.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Got it, thanks.
Seems to be sold out everywhere…don't suppose someone out there has an extra?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, thanks for chiming in -- yep, these are the more worn pair. Apparently my brother neglected to notice the second set of bolts. I will now harangue him for his neglect.
The pair of bolts that went with the "worn" crankset are shown here, chrome on plastic ring is gone.

Veloce worn - 2.1.jpg
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 PM

Great looking bike