Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 08:59 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Campagnolo’s other hydraulic brakes also don’t have free stroke adjustment and are regularly called best in industry.

Most of the Media that we're gleefully interpreting as Luke-warm about Super Wireless agree that Campagnolo's Disc Brake feel and modulation are the best in the game...

And it has everything to do with Better control/Modulation.

Lever position adjustment isn't stroke adjustment... (BOTH Campagnolo brake Adjustments on Past systems were Lever position Adjustments). Stroke adjustment is incredibly small where it exists - it has virtually no effect on braking performance/feel/function. That is all down to stroke power curve / Pad and Rotor materials (and cooling ability over time).

Last edited by Charles M; 05-30-2023 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
You're not alone (though loads of us here will argue the point that there is any positive here...)

SRW gearing is simply better for virtually everyone on this forum (and greater 95% of all riders on most terrain....) It's just smaller jumps in the most usable gearing by mortals...
But as pointed out earlier, the SRW 45/29 + 10-29 is nearly identical to the Chorus 48/32 + 11-32, and not as low as the 48/32 + 11-34, so I don't see how it can be :simply better for virtually everyone." As far as range of gearing, SRW doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Quote:
Pro teams MIGHT go for a different gear set (on select stages where they would have been spending significant time in the 53-11).
This is what I said earlier in the thread. I'd go further than saying MIGHT, and would say MOST PROBABLY WILL instead.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
But as pointed out earlier, the SRW 45/29 + 10-29 is nearly identical to the Chorus 48/32 + 11-32, and not as low as the 48/32 + 11-34, so I don't see how it can be :simply better for virtually everyone." As far as range of gearing, SRW doesn't bring anything new to the table.

This is what I said earlier in the thread. I'd go further than saying MIGHT, and would say MOST PROBABLY WILL instead.
Discussion that centers around calculating ratios and equivilency at the top end kind of ignores the small ring and cross chaining.

50/34 for a rider like myself, who is a pretty reasonable cat 2 level racer with a penchant for climbing, isn't all that versatile. 34 (and even 36) as a small ring 'runs out' fast climbing full gas, and likewise you can find yourself too far up the left side of the cassette in the 50. It's awkward.

It's kind of like what I was alluding to earlier. Who is this actually for. Why are they doing it.

There are a collection of decisions that feel like they are trying to go for the lowest common denominator but I feel like they just end up in no mans land meaning nothing to nobody.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:31 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That's one range - and the jumps are smaller within that range...
The other options also have smaller jumps while providing everything from the = 55-11 down to a 1-1 ratio...

And note: Campagnolo also have the fuill usage of miles in gear ratio's from Pro teams as well as a host of duffers. ANYTHING is arguable... Data makes some arguments more or less valuable and Campagnolo have a TON of data...

As far as what Pro teams thoughts are, I'm drawing a conclusion after conversation with two of the mechanics at AG2R and a domestic team manager that will potentially change for 2024...

You may have better sources...

Last edited by Charles M; 05-30-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
As noted previously, the difference in the size jumps is not worth even mentioning - a 10-29 has 10.1% average jumps, while a 11-23 has 10.2% average jumps.

Quote:
The other options also have smaller jumps while providing everything from the = 55-11 down to a 1-1 ratio...
For the next smaller cassette, the SWR has bigger jumps - while the 10-27 has 9.5% average jumps, the 11-29 has 9.2% average jumps. The only SWR cassette with meaningfully smaller jumps is the 10-25, with 8.7% average jumps, but this is likely to the be the least favorite cassette.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:35 PM

10-25

The new corn cob, RIP 13-19 freewheels

Last edited by dana_e; 05-30-2023 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:43 PM

I could care less about this whiz bang dentist groupset but...

Since it came out their website no longer has any Centaur products nor any Zonda rim brake wheels

In fact the only alum rim brake wheel they kept was that silly 1950gram Scirocco

Say it ain't so
Old 05-30-2023, 11:41 PM
Deconditioned!

I wish they woulda kept the thumb button.

Why ditch that? Was it a move to be more inline with the configs of Shimano and Sram (no thumb buttons)?

Atmo, the thumb button is one of the bestest/uniquest things about Campy gear.

Did I mention that I think they should have kept the thumb button?

Thumb
Thumb
Thumb
Thumb
Thumb
Thumb
Thumb
Old 05-31-2023, 04:47 AM

Loved seeing the 45-29 chainring option, but the lack of lower than a 1:1 ratio would kill this for my next all-road bike project. Not loving the looks as much as current SR12 mech/rim either.

Super rec probably not meant for an all-road bike anyhow, so I guess it will end up being a shimano mullet or scram set-up for me.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:33 AM

He stubbed out his Gauloise in a can of Clement and adjusted his beret first, right?

Quote:

And note: Campagnolo also have the fuill usage of miles in gear ratio's from Pro teams as well as a host of duffers. ANYTHING is arguable... Data makes some arguments more or less valuable and Campagnolo have a TON of data...

As far as what Pro teams thoughts are, I'm drawing a conclusion after conversation with two of the mechanics at AG2R and a domestic team manager that will potentially change for 2024...

You may have better sources...
Old 05-31-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Most of the Media that we're gleefully interpreting as Luke-warm about Super Wireless agree that Campagnolo's Disc Brake feel and modulation are the best in the game...

And it has everything to do with Better control/Modulation.

Lever position adjustment isn't stroke adjustment... (BOTH Campagnolo brake Adjustments on Past systems were Lever position Adjustments). Stroke adjustment is incredibly small where it exists - it has virtually no effect on braking performance/feel/function. That is all down to stroke power curve / Pad and Rotor materials (and cooling ability over time).
So the best thing about the groupset is due to their partnership with Magura?

Tim
Old 05-31-2023, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Loved seeing the 45-29 chainring option, but the lack of lower than a 1:1 ratio would kill this for my next all-road bike project. .
This brings up the question of max cog for the new SR RD. I wonder if you will be able to pair a SR group with a Chorus level cassette and get that 32 back there?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
I recall Campy exited the manufacture complete bike group business model. You can only get SRAM or Shimano on complete bikes now...
Not quite
Quote:
Now paired up with 3T, Mason, Pinarello, Repete, Ridley, Sage, Specialized, Titici, and Wilier you can get the new lightweight & reasonably affordable Campagnolo Ekar 1×13 gravel groupset on a number of premium gravel bikes,
Old 05-31-2023, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Some have had good experiences with eKar mechanical but some have reported it's extremely finicky and goes out of tune easily
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Count me as one who has no major issue with EKAR. Shifting has worked perfectly fine for 18 months. But I do see the marketing potential of a wireless EKAR groupset. But if they lose the thumb shifter, I would be very disappointed.
Ah, the inter web..I 'hear' that tubulars are messy, expensive, puncture a lot...
I 'hear' that Campagnolo levers can't be repaired.
I hear that tubeless on a road bike is far faster than with a tube..

I 'hear'....
Old 05-31-2023, 07:09 AM

I've used a SRAM 10-36 with a Chorus 12 drive train and it worked great. SRAM also has 10-30 and 10-33 cassettes that would produce ratios below 1/1. Whether they'd work depends on how much adjustment there is in the B gap and total wrap capacity. You don't have to be able to use the little ring and smallest 2 or 3 sprockets. With AXS the little ring and 10T is unavailable. If sequential mode is used, none of the 5 smallest sprockets are available with the little ring because there are similar ratios with the big ring.

I would expect wider range cassettes as the technology trickles down to lower levels in the coming years.