Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 06:45 PM

5400 USD(!!!) and it weighs 20 grams more than 12 speed EPS. Weight weenies gotta be going bonkers.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I just look at this and wonder how nice the system would be with the EKAR thumb button...

And no, I don't want or see the need for a 1X wireless system.
I think electronic makes sense on a 1x when there's 13 rear cogs, because it can be designed to do "per-cog" micro adjustments to ensure shifting is reliable and doesn't go out of whack.

Some have had good experiences with eKar mechanical but some have reported it's extremely finicky and goes out of tune easily. Electronic has the capacity to remove this entirely.

I would personally be loving a wireless eKar group.

I agree with your sentiments on the thumb shifter though. I'd prefer for that to have stayed but been moved to the upper inside of the hood (similar spot to where GRX Di2 puts it).
Old 05-30-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
5400 USD(!!!) and it weighs 20 grams more than 12 speed EPS. Weight weenies gotta be going bonkers.
My solution since 11sp has been to shed weight with Dura Ace cassettes. The new 12sp Campy cassettes are magnificently made, but not light.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I think electronic makes sense on a 1x when there's 13 rear cogs, because it can be designed to do "per-cog" micro adjustments to ensure shifting is reliable and doesn't go out of whack.

Some have had good experiences with eKar mechanical but some have reported it's extremely finicky and goes out of tune easily. Electronic has the capacity to remove this entirely.

I would personally be loving a wireless eKar group.

I agree with your sentiments on the thumb shifter though. I'd prefer for that to have stayed but been moved to the upper inside of the hood (similar spot to where GRX Di2 puts it).
Count me as one who has no major issue with EKAR. Shifting has worked perfectly fine for 18 months. But I do see the marketing potential of a wireless EKAR groupset. But if they lose the thumb shifter, I would be very disappointed.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Any chance this groupset will make into any halo complete bike models from the big bike companies such as Trek, Specialized, Cdale, Canyon, Giant, etc?
My LBS who sell Specialized said there is an Aethos coming out with it, the price ...super high
Old 05-30-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Elder View Post
My LBS who sell Specialized said there is an Aethos coming out with it, the price ...super high
It's already on the U.S. website at $15,500 vs. $14,250 for the DA version.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:47 PM

So it appears there's no "bite point" adjustment which is a very useful feature.

SRAM did a similar thing with its new Rival/Force levers, which I assumed was purely for product differentiation with an upcoming revised Red shifter...

If it aint present on their top groupset it's clearly not going to be available on lower tiered groups.

What's Campy's thinking here? Anyone have insight or ideas?
Old 05-30-2023, 07:55 PM

Quote:
What's Campy's thinking here? Anyone have insight or ideas?
From the escape collective:

Quote:
However, fans of brake lever contact point adjustments – which the manufacturers claim are few and far between –will be left disappointed as the new levers offer no such adjustment.
I think similar comments were made around Sram’s last refresh. It will be interesting to see if they bother with it on Red or leave it it out for part commonality.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:08 PM

I reckon they're full of it - it's gotta be a cost cutting exercise.

IMO it's such an important part of a bike's overall feel and different folks like different free stroke front and rear. As far as I can tell, it's very difficult to dial this in with a bleed alone.

If it's gone on Red, Shimano will be the only brand to retain the functionality...
Old 05-30-2023, 08:35 PM

Campagnolo’s other hydraulic brakes also don’t have free stroke adjustment and are regularly called best in industry.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Shimano will be the only brand to retain the functionality...

Does the freestroke adjust actually work on 12s shimano road levers? It does next to nothing on my shimano MTB brakes: XT 8100 2 piston, and earlier, 785 2 piston.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:46 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
As someone who loves to climb and regularly traverses some lengthy steep grades, I was quick to adopt and like the Chorus 12 48/32 crankset paired with an 11-32 cassette. To my view, the 45/29 and 10-29 pairing is a clear improvement for the slightly greater range and no 4 tooth jump to the granny gear. I look forward to that configuration coming to Record and Chorus.
You're not alone (though loads of us here will argue the point that there is any positive here...)

SRW gearing is simply better for virtually everyone on this forum (and greater 95% of all riders on most terrain....) It's just smaller jumps in the most usable gearing by mortals...

Pro teams MIGHT go for a different gear set (on select stages where they would have been spending significant time in the 53-11).

But that's down to drive-line friction with the smallest cog.

The number of Humans that biggest ring // Smallest Cog is a genuine issue for is VERY small and almost exclusively includes folks making an income from pedaling a bike ON SOME courses.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:51 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
I recall Campy exited the manufacture complete bike group business model. You can only get SRAM or Shimano on complete bikes now...
That said, OE is the only way you'll get a Group any time soone (Bar being one of a VERY few primer groups going to very select shops that will also be technical partners...

Campagnolo sold virtually all of this first production run to OE Partners - Pinarello for example will have things up very quickly...

On a call with Campagnolo: "Aftermarket groups will be available in a few months".

That's first hand conversation with Campagnolo IT.

Bike brands bought them out to run this on their Halo rigs.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Campagnolo’s other hydraulic brakes also don’t have free stroke adjustment and are regularly called best in industry.
All previous Campagnolo hydraulic brake levers had a two position free stroke adjustment. They also had a reach adjustment, and when combined with the free stroke adjustment, the bite point could be set where the user desired.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
All previous Campagnolo hydraulic brake levers had a two position free stroke adjustment. They also had a reach adjustment, and when combined with the free stroke adjustment, the bite point could be set where the user desired.
It’s not outlined in the manual that I saw.

I know the two position setting was on the “H11” stuff, but is it on the prior 12 speed groups?

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 05-30-2023 at 09:01 PM.