Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-17-2018, 12:39 PM

I had a Guru fit that felt great on the trainer and horrid on the road. Perhaps the fitter hard a hard time replicating the same measurements on my bike.

Some of the issues I had after my "fitting"

Saddle set too far back, stem too short, saddle too high, new cleat position causing knee pain...pretty much everything.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 PM

.. sharing my experience

riding on a trainer and on the road is different. it is normal to adjust a bit after fitting on a trainer .. especially stem length.

that is why in my opinion, it is very very important for a fitter to educate rider on what's going on and teach the rider what to feel. because the lasers and camera are not available when we are out riding on the road.

if we know what to feel, then even if our equipment changed, we still know how to adjust accordingly.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM

I've had 2 fittings and I don't think I'll ever shell out a penny for one again.

the 1st was a retul fit and the fitter was "all that".

Shortened my stem, the reach on my bars, back to a setback post (from a non sb post) and it did nothing for me. Also failed to address many of my concerns/issues and told me my frame was too big but we could make it work.

When I went back for a follow-up I could tell he was trying to get me in and out as quickly as possible. Fortunately, I didn't buy any of the parts from that shop.

Eventually I switched to a smaller frameset and went to a different fitter. He did a much better job, but diagnosed me as having a leg length discrepancy.
There was one, but it was functional, not structural. A year later with no improvement my orthopedist ordered an MRI and found a bulge at L4/L5 on the far right.

It was in PT that I learned about the leg length thing and how to keep my legs level. I was also fortunate the therapist was really, really good and worked with me to get my body where it needed to be. 3 years later and I ride with zero pain (and stretch and do core exercises every day).

BUT - I now ride 2 main bikes -one a small and one a medium. I'm better off with a medium frame (54-55 cm ETT), zero setback and 90 mm stem and shorter reach bars than a small frame. Now I know.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I've had 2 fittings and I don't think I'll ever shell out a penny for one again.

the 1st was a retul fit and the fitter was "all that".

Shortened my stem, the reach on my bars, back to a setback post (from a non sb post) and it did nothing for me. Also failed to address many of my concerns/issues and told me my frame was too big but we could make it work.

When I went back for a follow-up I could tell he was trying to get me in and out as quickly as possible. Fortunately, I didn't buy any of the parts from that shop.

Eventually I switched to a smaller frameset and went to a different fitter. He did a much better job, but diagnosed me as having a leg length discrepancy.
There was one, but it was functional, not structural. A year later with no improvement my orthopedist ordered an MRI and found a bulge at L4/L5 on the far right.

It was in PT that I learned about the leg length thing and how to keep my legs level. I was also fortunate the therapist was really, really good and worked with me to get my body where it needed to be. 3 years later and I ride with zero pain (and stretch and do core exercises every day).

BUT - I now ride 2 main bikes -one a small and one a medium. I'm better off with a medium frame (54-55 cm ETT), zero setback and 90 mm stem and shorter reach bars than a small frame. Now I know.

So, you're blaming the fitter for not knowing you had a bulging disc and for confirming you were on too big of a bike?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:25 PM

IMO people put way too much weight in the fitter like if it was a holy grail and sometimes it needs to be listen just as a guide because is not the same being in a shop trainer with a bunch of tools than being riding for real in the road.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 07-21-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
So, you're blaming the fitter for not knowing you had a bulging disc and for confirming you were on too big of a bike?
No Richard - the truth is between the medium and the small, the medium is the better fit. His attempt to set me up as someone on the pro tour was just stupid. Instead of figuring out what would work for me, he tried to make me sit on the bike like a professional racer - which I'm not.

The L4/L5 issue had nothing to do with the leg length. A fitter just sees the leg length issue and shims it - which makes it worse.

Do I blame the first fitter for needlessly changing out a bunch of stuff to put me in a position that made things worse - YES.

As I mentioned between a small and a medium, the medium, NOT THE SMALL is the better fit, so I blame him for that as well.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 PM
ZhugeLiang

1313 pal, knowing what you know now, if a friend come to you today and say he or she needs help with setting up properly on the bike, how would you advise him or her?
Old 09-01-2018, 02:44 PM

Determining stack & reach requirements?

As mentioned in another post, I filled in my dimensions on the Bike Fit Calculator, then learned about Competition Fit vs. French vs. Eddy.

After digesting that information I learned about stack and reach and proceeded to measure those on my bikes. I understand the advantages of the S&R method as it references a constant, the bottom bracket, and allows accurately comparing one bike with another.

Now my dilemma is this: how do I determine my optimum, or at least recommended, S&R? Is there some site that calculates recommended S&R based on my measurements, much as the Bike Fit Calculator does?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Hotspur, Never seen like a spot on formula type of thing.

THe problem is that there;s a lot of variables, and the stuff must be taken IMO more like a guideline that a bible of it. Just to start if i use the cc geometry thing I get the weirdest frame sizes. It doesnt work for me at all.

WHat ive noticed is that ones of the forumites did a correlation statistic work using pro people and we started giving him our measurements and his equations are pretty much closer to reality that many of us could think. I would start looking at that 1st IMO instead the CC thing online.

As for fit, IMO fit is to find the weight balance of a rider in a bike, because that's what you do, I ignore what is racing with what is touring or even EM fit, why? the fit will change depending on the frame geometry... touring and racing stuff is different, so the way you sit the contact points to find that balance will change. YOu have to take in consideration too what the bike does or supouse to do, why im saying this? because if the fit is not right the bike will do weird s...t and thats the reason many bikes are sold as well... doesnt fit, my back hurts, cant get the bike to go straight... just examples.

I might be wrong too ok? just giving you my opinion. Extreme cases.. old 7 foot tall guy that gets a super short custom bike, the bike is so unfitted that the thing goes in the road doing S's all over, dude asked a weird geometry that doest work, money talks, he got the POS done, but he is happpy tho... found that some frames are so poorly made that no matter what you do they will fit weird.. example some road bikes with MTB geometry, they handle bad and are so bad to get fit, giant front tubes...etc etc...

For example the c50 I have wants me seated tad futher back than the other ones, i put the saddle further front and i start pedaling squares, have longer stem because the front geometry is different, put the same stem than the other bikes and the thing handles weird slow... thats when, get the right size pick is important, some bikes you can go smaller or bigger, specially steel but with some you get the wrong frame size and the bike never does what it suppose to do.

Ok too long.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
WHat ive noticed is that ones of the forumites did a correlation statistic work using pro people and we started giving him our measurements and his equations are pretty much closer to reality that many of us could think. I would start looking at that 1st IMO instead the CC thing online.
That sounds promising. Can you point me to it?
Old 09-01-2018, 04:57 PM

Camt find it :/... the thread was about the pro fit guys... so he started plotting the data and made some equations out of them, amazingly enough we started putting out own data and happen that the equation numbers were giving results quite close to many of us, obviously you had guys which point were off the distrubition lines, thing that is expected...

You gonna have to use the search feature... hope I can find it...
Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Anybody remembers?? Darn cant find it
Old 09-08-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Anybody remembers?? Darn cant find it
I think that thread was linked to this below, no?

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/2012/03/pro-bike-fit.html
Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 PM

THose are the charts.... the equations are there... put your numbers and see what happens.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:28 PM

This one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fit dimensions.jpg (128.4 KB, 57 views)