Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 PM
Retired!

Riding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

I drove to Michigan's Upper Peninsula from my home near Minneapolis this past weekend to attend a memorial service for an uncle who passed away nearly one year ago due to complications from Covid. This was our first chance to safely gather and pay tribute to him.

I spent Saturday afternoon out on my bike exploring roads I'd never been on. You can easily go for many miles and not see another vehicle along these desolate but inviting roads. It was very hot and very humid and I had a difficult time staying hydrated with the lack of convenience stores along the way. Being able to top off my water bottles with crushed ice and water at a bar in the city of Kenton was like finding an oasis in the desert. It was some of the most refreshing water I've ever had!

It was a beautiful day to be out riding. C'mon along and let me show you!

Riding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Kevin g

Deadwood
by Kevin Gilmore, on Flickr

Treelined Road

Michigan's U.P.

Train Tressle
Old 07-28-2021, 10:04 PM
Retired!

River Bottoms

It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I first tried trail riding. I'd been content as a road cyclist since the mid-'70s so this was entirely different for me. I was riding a fat tire bike and fell in love with both the trail and the bike instantly! I don't cover as many miles riding trails but I have more fun than a guy my age should be allowed to have! I'm never more alive than when I'm riding more technical trails and hitting my marks. It's so much fun.

The river bottoms (in the video below) aren't at all technical but they're a place where you can find a rhythm and lose yourself in the moment, forgetting other worries of our world. I love riding there.

I pretty much had the trails to myself today. This morning's rain left a few puddles but otherwise, conditions were fine. Surprisingly, I noticed no bugs in the humid air with an overcast sky. That was fine by me! šŸ„‚

River Bottoms

Kevin g

Minnesota River Bottoms

Minnesota River at I-494

Minnesota River Bottoms

Minnesota River Barge
by Kevin Gilmore, on Flickr[
Old 08-04-2021, 11:39 AM
Retired!

TNG with a Keepsake Cidery Detour

Our drivetrains are taking a beating in our bone-dry weather where each ride requires a thorough rinse and likely some added lube afterward. Last night's ride was so much fun on one of my favorite routes we ride ā€” a route that takes us through some winding, hilly gravel roads between Northfield, MN, and Cannon City, MN.

Tuesday Night Gravel

Kevin g

Tuesday Night Gravel

Tuesday Night Gravel

Tuesday Night Gravel
Old 08-04-2021, 12:10 PM

wow, actually riding on gravel roads! That looks amazing - reminds me of a (beautiful version of) where I grew up in the Canadian prairies.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:34 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
wow, actually riding on gravel roads! That looks amazing - reminds me of a (beautiful version of) where I grew up in the Canadian prairies.
While I still enjoy road riding, lots of us have been migrating to gravel roads, of which there are plenty to choose from here in Minnesota. There's less traffic and the views are generally much better. The occasional farm dog that gives chase is about the only concern we have.

Kevin g

In Pursuit!
Old 08-11-2021, 07:34 PM
Retired!

The Minnesota River Bottoms

The Minnesota River bottoms are my happy place. They're familiar trails with a nice flow. When I've got a couple of hours to kill and I want to leave the worries of the world behind me, this is where I'll be.

River Bottoms at Dusk

Kevin g

Minnesota River Bottoms
Old 08-13-2021, 11:22 AM
Retired!

Tuesday Night Gravel

The Cannon Valley Velo Club out of Northfield, Minnesota has two Tuesday night group rides leaving from Bridge Square. The 5:30 ride is a more casual, social pace than the ride leaving at 6:00 (both groups ride the same course). It's an entirely different vibe than the 6:00 ride and one that I enjoyed very much. This is some video from last Tuesday night's 5:30 group ride.

TNG 5:30

Kevin g

Tuesday Night Gravel
Old 08-18-2021, 01:02 PM
Retired!

A Dusty and Fun TNG

This is some video from last night's 5:30 edition of our Tuesday Night Gravel ride out of Northfield, MN. A dusty and fun time was had by all! šŸ„‚

A Dusty and Fun TNG

Kevin g

TNG

TNG

TNG

TNG and Elk

TNG, and Marty Capturing a Shot
Old 08-21-2021, 07:40 PM
Retired!

Minnesota River Bottoms and a Rescue

I came upon a hawk that was frightened and in distress on the pedestrian walkway along the Cedar Ave bridge. It somehow managed to descend down through a gap in the overhead fencing that envelops the walkway but it was unable to find its way out. I summoned help via an officer from the Raptor Center. She was able to make quick work of safely wrapping the hawk in a blanket and taking it away for observation. Its head was bleeding a little but I'm hopeful it's going to make a full recovery. Otherwise, it was a beautiful day to be on a bike riding the river trails.

Video from my ride

Kevin g

Minnesota River Bottoms

Trapped Hawk

Trapped Hawk

Raptor Center Officer

Minnesota River Bottoms

Me
Old 09-06-2021, 08:37 PM
Retired!

Dawn to Dusk 2021

Here's some video from Saturday's Dawn to Dusk ride ā€” a 215 mile / 346 km ride. This was the 25th edition of the group's ride. One of our club's riders turns 71 next month. I turned 64 last week. We've slowed a little over the years but the desire to ride still burns strong within us!

Dawn to Dusk 2021 Video

Kevin g

Dawn to Dusk 2021

Dawn to Dusk 2021

Dawn to Dusk 2021
Old 09-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Retired!

Some New Perspectives

I'm still wanting to get a drone to use with my videos but none of the current smaller size drones have ironed out the 'follow me' feature yet. I figure another year or two before that happens. In the interim, I've added a selfie stick with an incorporated tripod to add some different perspectives to my videos. Iā€™m pleased with my first attempt.

Some Different Points of View

Kevin g

Selfie Stick POV

Fall Color
Old 09-25-2021, 10:55 PM
Retired!

Fulton Gran Fondo!

I've been an avid cyclist since the mid '70s. I can see where I'm not as strong as I once was, no matter how hard I work to find my form. But I'm becoming more and more okay with that. I'm working on aging gracefully and being more accepting of my ever-evolving physical abilities. And I'm reminding myself how thankful I am to still be as active as I am. The boy in me will never age.

Here's some video I put together from the Fulton Gran Fondo in Minneapolis today. Two of my friends and I did the 106-mile route. What a fun ride we had! Come on along and let me show you.

Fulton Gran Fondo

Kevin g

Hynek, Jason, and me!

Fulton Gran Fondo by Kevin Gilmore, on Flickr
Old 10-06-2021, 01:51 PM
Retired!

The Sun Sets on our TNG Rides for 2021

The Cannon Valley Velo Club out of Northfield, MN puts on a Tuesday Night Gravel ride from the spring through the fall. Last night was our last TNG ride of the year, and what a beautiful night to ride it was! If you haven't considered gravel riding, you may want to have a closer look. A gravel bike affords one so many additional roads for riding not easily accessible with a road bike. And I find the views so much better!

TNG 2021 Swan Song Ride

Kevin g

TNG Ride

TNG Ride

TNG Ride

Last edited by onekgguy; 10-06-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:21 AM
2Retro4U

A bunch of old guys like me meet daily at the same location for a gentle ride. A couple of days ago no one else showed up, so I took the opportunity to take a little tougher ride.

I found myself poised at the top of "Heart Attack Hill" for the last run back into town, so I turned on the GoPro and got an amazing ten minutes of video as the DH trail was empty except for three other mountain bikers on their way up. Check out the "horizon leveling" feature of the GoPro. Even as the bike tips through a banked turn, the landscape stays level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKT9MRt3qGQ
Old 10-11-2021, 06:42 AM
ZhugeLiang