Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
This is in memory of the life my late grandfather lived. It's on my inner left bicep (closest to the heart). Loosely translated, it means "One must carry on and push through".

He was orphaned (and lost brothers and sisters) in his childhood years while running from the Nazi's (Russian front). Orphanages for Jewish kids in Russia, post WW2... not a pleasant place. He always worked hard, bettered himself, became an engineer in the Soviet army. Migrated here to Australia in 1979 with his wife and two kids. Was diagnosed with Leukemia and given 6 months. Lived 12 years after that. They don't build them like him anymore.

The most generous, loving and strong person I have or will ever meet. The phrase is written on his gravestone. It was his motto for life. I was lucky to have him as a father figure until my early 30's. I got it done on the first birthday (of his) after his passing, because it's in memory of his life - not his death.

That's pretty cool. Beats the hell out of "shut up legs".

Losing someone dear, especially early really hurts. Good that you had a great father and role model.