Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2022, 06:33 PM

Salsa Casseroll - replaceable brake bosses?

Hi, I'm looking into buying an XL (i.e. 60CM) Casseroll however before I do I wanted to know if that frame uses replaceable thread-in brake bosses. Input welcome from those in the know! TIA
Old 08-22-2022, 11:28 PM

They don't appear replaceable: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JaLU9qUm83dkln
Old 08-23-2022, 08:17 AM

Thank you for those pictures, BF. No, they don't sppear to be replaceable do they. That's madness! For a bike like that not to have that feature is a faux pas. Unless the bosses are allen keyed and the pictures don't show it. Normally there are wrench flats visible. Hmmm
Old 08-26-2022, 08:26 AM

Called Salsa and asked about it to be certain. Because the bike was discontinued 10 years ago, the fellow on the phone said that the boss mounts weren't replaceable (to his best recollection). Replaceable should be as standard as wheels on any more modern bike frame with this type of brake mount. Also, the bike will take up to a 38mm tire not including fenders. With fenders, you'd have to size down from a 38 for it to fit.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:05 AM

I've got the matching blue, front, canti mounted rack, shown in those pictures. I'm building up a bike where I might use it, but if you've found a frame and are looking for the matching rack, I could be persuaded to part with it. Sample photo, actual item is unused.

Last edited by mistermo; 09-09-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:24 AM

If the Salsa otherwise checks all of your wants/needs, buy it. Keep the brake bosses clean and they will never be a problem.

I sold mine because I couldn't get used to the tall head tube. It's a very good do it all bike and nice looking as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.jpg (132.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 08-26-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerlywind View Post
Thank you for those pictures, BF. No, they don't sppear to be replaceable do they. That's madness! For a bike like that not to have that feature is a faux pas. Unless the bosses are allen keyed and the pictures don't show it. Normally there are wrench flats visible. Hmmm
I will let the designer know of his faux pas next time I see him
Old 08-28-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
I will let the designer know of his faux pas next time I see him
Hello, if you know one of the guys who designed the bike tell him "good job" on it. Many owners enjoy or have enjoyed theirs. All of Salsas' bikes now use discs so there is no opportunity to incorporate replaceable bosses in any model.

I thought I'd try one out for myself. One came up for sale and I'm trying to figure whether or not it is worth buying. There is another bike I'd prefer but finding one in the neccessary size could take way too long.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
If the Salsa otherwise checks all of your wants/needs, buy it. Keep the brake bosses clean and they will never be a problem.

I sold mine because I couldn't get used to the tall head tube. It's a very good do it all bike and nice looking as well.
Hi, tnxs for the input on it. I have had to brass shim other bosses on old bikes in the past, which did make a difference in eliminating a bit of slop. Those were aged mid-80's mountain bikes though.

What didn't you like about the tall headtube on yours? Did it place your riding position up too high?
Old 08-28-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I've got the matching blue, front, canti mounted rack, shown in those pictures. I'm building up a bike where I might use it, but if you've found a frame and are looking for the matching rack, I could be persuaded to part with it.
Hi there, the bike for sale has the original front rack included, but thank you!

I don't even know if I'll get this bike or not. The exchange rate, plus duty, plus postage and all the other hands out along the way kind of take the fun out of it.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerlywind View Post
Hi, tnxs for the input on it. I have had to brass shim other bosses on old bikes in the past, which did make a difference in eliminating a bit of slop. Those were aged mid-80's mountain bikes though.

What didn't you like about the tall headtube on yours? Did it place your riding position up too high?
Yeah, just too high. I suppose cutting the head tube down might have worked, but moved it on instead.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:01 PM
Back At It!

I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine and wish I could find another 54cm.. with the rack!
Old 09-02-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine and wish I could find another 54cm.. with the rack!
That is yet another positive a testimonial. Many seem to have enjoyed them but have moved on to other bikes. One will turn up in your size with patience so keep on lookin'!
Old 09-02-2022, 03:36 PM

I've never seen a steel bike with replaceable canti studs. All the bikes with replaceable studs I've seen were made of different materials (aluminum, titanium, carbon).

Does anyone know of steel bikes with replaceable studs?
Old 09-02-2022, 03:56 PM

Brake studs! this makes a little more sense now. When you said bosses, I was thinking stops. I was also thinking you were a little crazy to be asking.

I zoomed in on some photo's I still have from one that I sold. Can't say for sure, but the do not look to be replaceable.

My steel Zanc did have replaceable studs, as I had to swap them to install the brakes I wanted.