Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM

WOT: Canadian Online Pharmacies

My mother in law was prescribed a medication that is about $400.00 a month and she does to have insurance that covers her prescriptions.

I did some research and it is about 25% the cost in Canada and it appears that it is a viable choice.

I am wondering if any of you are using a Canadian pharmacy that is legit?

I found thecanadianpharmacy.com which appear legit but I would like to know if there are any sure thingsā€¦

Thanks
Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM

I once had a riding buddy who bought fish antibiotics from Mexico and took them for a sinus infection.

His logic was the ingredients were "essentially* the same as the human version he could get from his doctor.

Closest I've got for you man. Can't beat American healthcare.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM

We've used several in the past, and are still using one or two of them. All were legit and the prices are sooooo much lower. Like any online purchasing, there are occasional hiccups or delays, but we've not had any major issues.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM

"who bought fish antibiotics from Mexico and took them for a sinus infection.

His logic was the ingredients were "essentially* the same as the human version he could get from his doctor."

fish mox forte...actually: "exactly" the same and made in same factory that you get your penicillin from...same numbers on tab....everything...it is the same stuff...

as for Canada, sure it is fine...all this crap is from same places and just jammed up price wise via our messed up insurance here...I live on Vermont border, about 15 miles away...everyone drives over to pick up meds there...at far cheaper...same crap...not like american pharma and FDA has any more quality control or your best interest than anywhere else...they don't... except via your pocketbook of course...
Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 PM

if she has coverage, why do it, or are you saying co-pay is 400.

Most all brand name stuff has coupons. I have one med my co-pay is 250 mth, but coupon from Lilly? dropped it to 85. Also goodrx is worth checking to see if their card will be lower.

Stinks, the glucose test strips I have to use to sync with my pump is also this high co-pay, cheaper to buy on ebay.

also look at her out of pocket max, if she hits it, then could be no charge.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:28 PM

My wife has a couple of meds that are pricey to get here in the US, but she now uses drug mart.com in Canada for these meds and they are significantly more affordable. Refill and delivery has been reliable and without any issues.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
if she has coverage, why do it, or are you saying co-pay is 400.

Most all brand name stuff has coupons. I have one med my co-pay is 250 mth, but coupon from Lilly? dropped it to 85. Also goodrx is worth checking to see if their card will be lower.

Stinks, the glucose test strips I have to use to sync with my pump is also this high co-pay, cheaper to buy on ebay.

also look at her out of pocket max, if she hits it, then could be no charge.
Thank you Steve. She does not have prescription coverage and the roughly $450/month is the best coupon price using GoodRx.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
My wife has a couple of meds that are pricey to get here in the US, but she now uses drug mart.com in Canada for these meds and they are significantly more affordable. Refill and delivery has been reliable and without any issues.
Thank you metalheart. I will check this place out.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
My mother in law was prescribed a medication that is about $400.00 a month and she does to have insurance that covers her prescriptions.
Is it a branded or generic medication? If branded, have her ask the prescribing physician if there is a generic alternative. That would be the most convenient solution. The majority of internet "Canadian pharmacies" are scams, and most of the legit ones aren't even in Canada.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
"who bought fish antibiotics from Mexico and took them for a sinus infection.

His logic was the ingredients were "essentially* the same as the human version he could get from his doctor."

fish mox forte...actually: "exactly" the same and made in same factory that you get your penicillin from...same numbers on tab....everything...it is the same stuff...

as for Canada, sure it is fine...all this crap is from same places and just jammed up price wise via our messed up insurance here...I live on Vermont border, about 15 miles away...everyone drives over to pick up meds there...at far cheaper...same crap...not like american pharma and FDA has any more quality control or your best interest than anywhere else...they don't... except via your pocketbook of course...
Yeah, they're the same stuff, and fish antibiotics aren't illegal in the US, you can buy them here.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:43 PM

I use www.northwestpharmacy.com and find them legit and cheap compared to US pharmacies
Old 08-27-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
The majority of internet "Canadian pharmacies" are scams
No, they're not ...

Quote:
and most of the legit ones aren't even in Canada.
Yes, they are ...
Old 08-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Do your research. There are legitimate Canadian pharmacies that sell RX at greatly reduced prices. And there are also scammers looking to make a buck off vulnerable people. Make sure you're buying from a legitimate place you can trust, and Bob's your uncle.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Google will tell you:
Canadian drugs are cheaper because the government regulates the price of generic and brand-name medication. The prices of cheaper generic drugs, which account for most prescriptions, are set through deals with drug companies at the provincial and national levels.

That's an accurate statement, says the guy who lives and works in the US and Canada.

The government grants permission to sell drugs and (at several gov't levels) worked out a deal to manage the prices companies will sell their drugs. It fits with Canada's publicly funded medical system, in which all taxpayers contribute to the cost of medical care through taxes. Healthcare in Canada is not free; it's just available. It's cool. It works. It has its problems, but everyone will be taken care of. BTW, the quality of the Canadian system is generally considered better than the US, but well behind the best countries (UK, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Norway...)

On the drugs front, many Canadian companies are now working the drug border arbitrage to sell Americans cheaper drugs. Yes, the drugs are the same on both sides of the border. (There have been a couple notable times when one country hasn't approved a drug the other has.)

The only major problem I foresee: Canada has 37 million people, and the drug companies produce drugs for 37 million people. If everyone in the US starts buying from some dot com, there will be shortages in Canada. Someone in [random US location] who can't afford a critical drug won't care about that and they have my blessing to not care. Everyone else: write your elected representative.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
BTW, the quality of the Canadian system is generally considered better than the US, but well behind the best countries (UK, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Norway...)
where on earth did you get that from?