Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 04:26 PM
#RYFB

Abus helmets

Anyone here own or at least tried one? Curious about fit, ideally in comparison to a POC.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:28 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I have a Gamechanger.
Shape is similar to Kask Protone, just slightly more oval.
Not as oval as Spec Evade.

Sorry never had a POC, but maybe some data points.

*I can measure the inside if you need it- medium

Last edited by pasadena; 07-26-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:59 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I have a Gamechanger.

Thanks; measurements (internal length & width) would be great if you get a chance, no rush.

Did you buy it from a local retailer or online? Their dealer locator lists a couple of places near me (West LA) but I don't really trust it.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:24 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Thanks; measurements (internal length & width) would be great if you get a chance, no rush.

Did you buy it from a local retailer or online? Their dealer locator lists a couple of places near me (West LA) but I don't really trust it.
front-to-back: 16.5 min to 21cm max (as far as the ratcheting band goes)
width: 16.5 cm
width at the front straps: 13.75cm

I bought directly from Abus, but it was pre-pandemic. Haven't checked since.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:41 PM

I've got the Gamechanger and the Airbreaker. LOVE them both. The most comfortable helmet I've used. My head is 59cm oval, and I wear large in both. I ordered from XXCycle in France. By far the best price, and the standard delivery took about a week.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:31 PM

I currently have the Abus Airbreaker and I used to wear the POC Octal. I wore a medium in the POC and a large in the Abus - at one point I tried on the Abus Aventor in medium and it was too small as well.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I have a Gamechanger.

Same here. Was using the Protone for a while and loved it. Although I didn't need another helmet I got a great deal on a Game Changer that was hard to pass up. I agree it is definitely more oval shape but fits me well and is comfortable. The one odd thing about it is the minimal pads in it. Only has a single one piece in front, nothing on in the middle or the sides. At first I thought it was missing but that's just the way the helmet is.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've got the Gamechanger and the Airbreaker. LOVE them both. The most comfortable helmet I've used. My head is 59cm oval, and I wear large in both. I ordered from XXCycle in France. By far the best price, and the standard delivery took about a week.
Thanks, seems clear that I am a large in their helmets.

Can you offer a contrast between the Gamechanger and Airbreaker, relative pros/cons?
Old 07-28-2021, 03:20 AM
Strong Walker

Can't tell you much about the quality of the products of the company.

If you have daughters or care a about womens rights, you might wanna support a different company with your money.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks, seems clear that I am a large in their helmets.

Can you offer a contrast between the Gamechanger and Airbreaker, relative pros/cons?

Airbreaker is a bit lighter and a bit cooler, making it slightly more comfortable in 90deg+ weather (I'm in florida). For temps below 90, I actually prefer the Gamechanger. Seems more robust, aero, and the venting is quite good considering there aren't many vents. The one weird thing about the Gamechanger is there is no padding on the top of your head. If you don't adjust it right, the top of your head could touch the hard inner shell. But once adjusted, it's super comfortable.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:05 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
If you have daughters or care a about womens rights, you might wanna support a different company with your money.
Feel free to share some additional information, links, or context if you're inclined. Thanks
Old 07-29-2021, 04:23 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Feel free to share some additional information, links, or context if you're inclined. Thanks
only habe a german one, and it is behind a paywall
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtscha...gion-1.4493053

i can give a google translate version of some noticeable bits

"Abus builds locks, and very successfully. The women of the founding family should have nothing to say at the top of the company because God supposedly wants it that way.
[..]
With many German medium-sized companies, the patriarchs tell you where to go. Wolfgang Grupp at Trigema, Klaus-Michael Kühne from Kuehne + Nagel, Theo Müller from the Theo Müller Group. Mostly this is a conservative tradition, rather rarely the reason for it is Christian fundamentalism. With Andrea Bremicker it is the latter. Her family's company is Abus August Bremicker Söhne KG, a world market leader in security technology. Almost every German has a padlock with the four thick letters of the Abus logo at home. The founding family is part of the Brethren movement, an evangelical denomination. According to the commandment of this belief, inheritance waiver contracts for women have been common at Abus for decades, says someone who knows the company very well."
Old 07-29-2021, 06:42 AM

Impressively weak cancel culture attempt. This is a cycling thread about a helmet. Next.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
only habe a german one, and it is behind a paywall
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtscha...gion-1.4493053

i can give a google translate version of some noticeable bits

"Abus builds locks, and very successfully. The women of the founding family should have nothing to say at the top of the company because God supposedly wants it that way.
[..]
With many German medium-sized companies, the patriarchs tell you where to go. Wolfgang Grupp at Trigema, Klaus-Michael Kühne from Kuehne + Nagel, Theo Müller from the Theo Müller Group. Mostly this is a conservative tradition, rather rarely the reason for it is Christian fundamentalism. With Andrea Bremicker it is the latter. Her family's company is Abus August Bremicker Söhne KG, a world market leader in security technology. Almost every German has a padlock with the four thick letters of the Abus logo at home. The founding family is part of the Brethren movement, an evangelical denomination. According to the commandment of this belief, inheritance waiver contracts for women have been common at Abus for decades, says someone who knows the company very well."
Old 07-29-2021, 07:34 AM

Perhaps company ethics are completely irrelevant to your purchasing decisions, but they matter to others.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
Perhaps company ethics are completely irrelevant to your purchasing decisions, but they matter to others.
Maybe before preaching, have a clue about what you're talking about. I knew nothing about the Brethren church, so I looked on Wiki. Apparently it's one of three "peaceful" Christian sects, the others being the Mennonites and Quakers, and have all adopted modern beliefs to women's rights. And the one article mentioned the opinion of one anonymous employee. If you want to discriminate based on religion, have at it. Just get off the ethics pulpit. Now, back to helmets please...