Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Kind of OK

Dumb question of the day: SS freewheel on old Campy hub?

The old Colin Laing I'm building for my daughter has a set of old Campy 5 speed freewheel hubs. What type of single speed freewheel fits those?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Pretty much any single speed freewheel will fit on. You may need a spacer behind it to get optimal chainline, but that depends on the particular freewheel you choose. I've used single speed freewheels and especially fixed gear cogs on old 5-speed wheel sets for years. If it's 120 mm spacing, it'll almost certainly give correct chainline and work perfectly. If it's 126 or 130 mm spacing, you may need a bit of spacing but you'll have to see.

This is a great way to get a cheap fixie wheel (or, in your case, a single speed wheel) for almost no money and very good components.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Kind of OK

I want a nice, simple bike for my daughter to take to college.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM

I rode Suntour New Winner ultra six freewheels when I "upgraded" my retrogrouch kit from a Regina Oro. They fit the 120 mm spacing, and do require a slightly narrower chain for optimal performance. They are noisy but can be torn down and rebuilt when cogs wear--if you can find a mechanic that still has a drawer of the stuff (I have one, bless him).
Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I want a nice, simple bike for my daughter to take to college.
Step up and get a WI single speed freewheel(good for funky weather)...it’ll screw on no problema. Same threading as a English B.B. lockring(non drive side)..1.37 by 24.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 PM

Really not a dumb question. What 11.4 said.

For fixed I respace 126mm to 120mm, have Suntour Superbe Pro and Campagnolo Record (both road hubs) and they're perfect.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:18 PM

I just did this. I was gifted a Racing USA Super Course (paint peeling off that chrome frame!) that had a fixed cog and lockring on a 105 freewheel hub. It was a bear to get the loctited cog off (I jammed the chain around the cog and spun the wheel backwards, it's on youtube) so I wouldn't be too worried about riding such a conversion fixed, if my knees could take it. Just whipped it around 42x18t SS for 15 minutes today. Pretty fun with flat pedals. The previous owner put a really short axle in the BB and the chainline is pretty spot on. I'd imagine if you keep a "double" chainline and use the inner chainring position then you'll want a spacer behind the freewheel.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
I just did this. I was gifted a Racing USA Super Course (paint peeling off that chrome frame!) that had a fixed cog and lockring on a 105 freewheel hub. It was a bear to get the loctited cog off (I jammed the chain around the cog and spun the wheel backwards, it's on youtube) so I wouldn't be too worried about riding such a conversion fixed, if my knees could take it. Just whipped it around 42x18t SS for 15 minutes today. Pretty fun with flat pedals. The previous owner put a really short axle in the BB and the chainline is pretty spot on. I'd imagine if you keep a "double" chainline and use the inner chainring position then you'll want a spacer behind the freewheel.
Quick tip; do 'the bus driver'.
Wrap cog in rag to stop it getting torn up (if you wish to reuse) and put wheel cog down in vise, and get jaws really really tight on the cog. Grasp wheel or tyre and turn smartly anti clockwise, just like steering a bus. Spin off loosened cog.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Cool frame, any photos?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Step up and get a WI single speed freewheel(good for funky weather)...it’ll screw on no problema. Same threading as a English B.B. lockring(non drive side)..1.37 by 24.
Agreed. WI freewheel is worth it. I set up a Schwinn Madison SS for my son when he went off to college. He rode it every day and it survived undergrad. Now that he is in grad school, I offered to get him a new bike. Nope, he's staying with the Madison.