Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 PM

there's either something in the air or the moon is in the wrong phase, because the last two days of riding have been pretty nightmarish for me.

things started with me sitting at a red light in a bike lane and having an older Chevy Suburban right-hooking me as it turned green. no turn signal, no nothing...guy just jammed the accelerator and cut across my line.

an hour later, had a green light at an intersection when a woman coming from the opposite direction ran a very stale red light and turned in front of me.

went out the next day assuming things would be calmer...wrong.

again, in a dedicated bike lane, a woman passed me with the entire right half of her vehicle inside my space. probably had less than 6 inches separating us...she turned at the next cross street and I followed her to her residence.
when I asked why the brush-by pass, she seemed completely amazed that there was any issue with her driving. got an apology, but it wasn't very convincing...her attitude seemed to indicate that since she didn't actually make contact with me, there really wasn't a problem.

the next encounter involved another woman who came up from up behind (no bike lane this time) and laid on the horn like I was supposed to immediately vaporize. was rolling at 20+ mph and ~100 ft from a red light, so just held my line and ignored her impatience.

had just started to brake slightly for the red when I noticed the driver cutting thru a parking lot to jump in front of me...however, the light went green and I was able to make the turn at speed which put me in her path and she had to slam on her brakes. much honking ensued, then she passed me at full throttle, swerved back in front and then gave me a serious brake-check.

a real road rage event...

since I have no interest in off-road riding, that leaves me with the road and the insanity...

not quite ready to bail on the sport yet. but, after being hit twice in the last two years and having the kinds of encounters described above, it might happen sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Seramount; 07-14-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:35 PM

Wow I am sorry for your rough day and feel for you. As someone else suggested maybe a combination of road, gravel, mt bike. From the list of your bikes it looks like you used to ride mountain bikes a lot maybe it is time to revisit them. I live in quiet Sequim on the Olympic peninsula and we have lots of options to make a great road ride. I combine bike trail, gravel logging roads with pavement all in one ride and that helps keep me out of traffic. Also you may want to try going early in the morning. In summer when it gets light real early I will go out at 5:30 for a few hours and it is great. I always notice later in the day traffic has increased and I am glad I went out early. So just some options to look at. If your like me I could never give up road riding but I will make allowances for it.
I hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:43 PM

I've experienced more than my share of near misses with distracted drivers immersed in their technology. Although less common, intentional buzzes or actually having someone try and hit me are the ones that truly get me unglued, and I have to say that this season, I have experienced this way more than in the past. As cyclists we are minorities, and haters of minorities are in full bloom these days, hate seems to be more "OK", haters feel more emboldened and less fearful of consequences. I won't offer up the obvious reason why this is, otherwise the thread will get locked down quick. Stay safe out there, spread some love and good karma, it'll get back eventually. I do find myself now waving at just about every car that gives me space and passes with care.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:48 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to get up early and drive about 15 minutes and park in a gravel lot in a local state forest. Then I'll pedal my new stumpjumper for 3 to 4 hours in some incredible singletrack, pull out the awning, set up my chair, consume exactly 2 all day IPAs and amble home for a cookout with the family. All with a big smile. There may be some moments of creek sitting, too

This wasn't the case until the road bikes went away. There's no shortage of morons in the world and many of them are self centered and most drive cars. Not worth the fight, but I do hope they lose a rod or something because they let someone at Walmart change their oil
Old 07-14-2018, 05:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have been thinking about buying one of these

- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...510-rear-light

I was not convinced about its functionality when it came out but since I ride a lone a lot and in country roads most of the time I can see it being pretty useful. Also having a light at all times helps.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I wish there was a way to make a national database to log these encounters with aggresive drivers to see trends. These people are probably doing these illegal acts daily.

On the other hand, people who ride bikes need to take care of their own business and ask each other to follow traffic law. Don't give more fuel to the fire.
Already done ... just need to use it. https://closecalldatabase.com
Old 07-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have been thinking about buying one of these

- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...510-rear-light

I was not convinced about its functionality when it came out but since I ride a lone a lot and in country roads most of the time I can see it being pretty useful. Also having a light at all times helps.
I've never thought much about running a rear blinky in the daytime. But yesterday, I was riding for a few miles on suburban roads a few hundred yards behind a cyclist who was using one, and I was surprised at what a difference it made.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:13 PM

I have noticed that a rear light does help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 05:18 PM

I think we are in more danger from distracted drivers than those who want to teach us a lesson. It will only get worse as more and more drivers get more and more distracting technology.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 07-14-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 PM

These people clearly saw me. Or rather, they saw a cyclist they didn't give a **** about and chose to endanger "it's" life. Maybe I should ride naked so it's more clear I'm a living, breathing human.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 PM

I too had an episode this week. A pickup hauling a trailer honked at me, passed me, and then made an immediate right turn in front of me.

There was a group of riders about a mile behind me that were riding double column and taking up a lot of road. My guess is that he was angry at them, but took it out on me.

I have a friend that rides with 2 Go Pro cameras - one on his bars and one on the chain stay. He has forwarded video to our county sheriff at least once due to a aggressively close pass and subsequent middle finger. The sheriff paid a visit to that driver based on the video footage. Needless to say, the guy tried to lie about the episode, until the deputy showed him the video. Then they guy felt like a complete douche. Wish I could have been there to see his face.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to get up early and drive about 15 minutes and park in a gravel lot in a local state forest. Then I'll pedal my new stumpjumper for 3 to 4 hours in some incredible singletrack, pull out the awning, set up my chair, consume exactly 2 all day IPAs and amble home for a cookout with the family. All with a big smile. There may be some moments of creek sitting, too

This wasn't the case until the road bikes went away. There's no shortage of morons in the world and many of them are self centered and most drive cars. Not worth the fight, but I do hope they lose a rod or something because they let someone at Walmart change their oil
Name checks out...

But srsly, you've got a point. Just be sure those are session IPAs so you stay good and alert on your drive home.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:28 PM

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/all-day-ipa/

Getting a DUI is no way to wind up a relaxing weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Name checks out...

But srsly, you've got a point. Just be sure those are session IPAs so you stay good and alert on your drive home.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:29 PM

Sorry to hear it man. IDK about Portland OR (assuming that is where you are from since it says so in your info) but here in Appalachian VA we have our fair share of red necks who think that we are all a bunch of gays riding on their streets tryin' to take their guns or something...

So a buddy of mine did an experiment. He got an American flag jersey and I swear to you it's like when they see that thing waving in front of their faces they automatically think you are on their side, that you are one of us.

I'm not kidding either.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:35 PM

Honestly, glad my daughters aren't riders anymore. Hiking bit safer.

Wife and I were in our kayaks, where if I f' up it is my fault