Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 08:17 AM

Trek has been good when it comes to warranty issues.

Agree with others, trek and affiliates need to up their qc. My new trek had a crank bolt with 0 torque......probably a systemic problem as a friends crankarm fell off during a ride last summer. She had that bike for about a month and the front never shifted correctly..........until we put the crank back together and tightened everything to spec.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookietom View Post
Found another Trek fork, bike shop will ship the twisted fork to Trek company and see what they have to say. Will update the information and thank you paceliners!!( I am sure Trek will tell me that I crashed)
Carbon doesn't bend, it breaks. If there's no cracks, it came out of the mould like that. Which = manufacturing defect. They may punt because you are not the original owner but the original owner shouldn't have been riding it like that either. If it can be verified as a genuine trek product (which I'm sure it can), they aren't going to want it out in the wild in that state where it could fail and hurt someone.

Last edited by batman1425; 07-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Tough call, many manufacturers will penalize you for buying used carbon. Many people should have caught one, but....

Be interested to see what they do for the current owner
Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 AM

Fork blade alignment reference frame

The reference frame for the alignment of the fork blades will always be the steerer tube - not the brake or even the crown. Although your photos show some misalignment of the fork tips with respect to the brake and the front of the crown, we don't know anything about the fork tip alignment with respect to the steerer. There are tools and jigs that can measure fork alignment, like this one:

https://cdn.instructables.com/FSU/AJ...7ZYA.LARGE.jpg

If the fork blade are really out of alignment as much as the photos imply, then the steering would have a distinct bias. When riding, do you have to apply a steering torque to the handlebars to keep the bike going in a straight line? When riding no-handed, do you have lean the bike to the side to keep the bike going straight?

If the fork tips are not misaligned with the steerer, than it may just be a matter of the brake hole being drilled at an angle. In which case, then the solution may simply be using a brake which has rotatable brake pads.