Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

You guys are complaining about a movie that is free to watch? This place...
Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
You guys are complaining about a movie that is free to watch? This place...
You're complaining about people complaining about a free movie.

Nobody benefits in a mutual admiration society.

Say what you mean. Some of the Rapha films are rather enjoyable to watch. This one had it's charm but really fell flat with the manufactured drama.

No harm

:-)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:30 PM

OP, thanks for posting this. Just watched it. Not bad. Better than any of the choices on Netflix. Kinda like Homer's Odyssey, but with a redneck and a biking nomad.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
You're complaining about people complaining about a free movie.

Nobody benefits in a mutual admiration society.

Say what you mean. Some of the Rapha films are rather enjoyable to watch. This one had it's charm but really fell flat with the manufactured drama.

No harm

:-)
He’s not complaining, he’s pointing out the ridiculousness of the people who are. If you don’t like the free movie, move on and stop whining. Rapha doesn’t have to fund films like this, but they do. I for one appreciate them promoting the sport and creating content for fans to enjoy.

Our world need less mindless complaining, it’s not helping anyone or anything. There are much larger problems that people should use their energy to complain about.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:25 PM
aka RAEKWON

and to add to that, it really is not a bad flick. Its a cycling movie, they ride bikes, they talk, they ride bikes.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:32 PM

The only good thing about RT66 was the TV show. Kind of way overhyped. Back in the '50's and '60's is was as remote as it is today.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
and to add to that, it really is not a bad flick. Its a cycling movie, they ride bikes, they talk, they ride bikes.
I haven't seen it yet, but I also posted a few weeks back about one of the Rapha vids and got a lot of negative reactions and feedback. It seems to have become bandwagon to jump on Rapha, which might be hatred directed towards Froomey and Sky? They're just a clothing sponsor that happened to sponsor Sky. What components does Sky ride - Shimano?? Anyone dumping their D/A, R8000 stuff b/c of it? Why does Shimano and others have their names plastered everyone - to sell more stuff. Yes it may not be up to the cinematic quality of Siskel and Ebert (RIP) and yes they may be subtly trying to promote some of their gear, but the end goal is that is motivational and tries to get people involved in cycling. If one kid sitting around on an Xbox gets a wiff of this and thinks to try out cycling and realizes that its not all hardcore racing, bravo! A secular sport like this needs documentaries and things to draw in others. I much rather watch this in my free time or when traveling, then some overpaid pretentious actor who can only memorize one or two lines in between shots and gets paid $25M to do so.

Like others said, it was free. No one had to pay to watch. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (Nothing spent, nothing lost)

Last edited by RobJ; 07-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Reminded me of a Patagonia catalog

Lots of fit people doing wonderful things outside dressed to the nines. Then I wonder...who's footing the bill for all this? How did that awesome stone oven get out in the middle of nowhere? Are their parents still working into their 70's so this can happen? Leaves my mind spinning with rhetorical questions...not very relaxing
Old 07-15-2018, 06:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
He’s not complaining, he’s pointing out the ridiculousness of the people who are. If you don’t like the free movie, move on and stop whining. Rapha doesn’t have to fund films like this, but they do. I for one appreciate them promoting the sport and creating content for fans to enjoy.

Our world need less mindless complaining, it’s not helping anyone or anything. There are much larger problems that people should use their energy to complain about.
I don't disagree with any of this I just give it a two star review. Critical thinking and opinions are still allowed in the good old USA right?!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I don't disagree with any of this I just give it a two star review. Critical thinking and opinions are still allowed in the good old USA right?!

Nope sorry, opinions are fake news.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but I also posted a few weeks back about one of the Rapha vids and got a lot of negative reactions and feedback. It seems to have become bandwagon to jump on Rapha, which might be hatred directed towards Froomey and Sky?
Rapha has always caught flak because their stuff is generally more expensive than other brands (say Izumi) and the way they marketed themselves back then ("epic"). These aren't really fair reasons to hate on something, but that's why.

And there's nothing wrong with criticising a Rapha flick. They've made good short films, and they've made bad ones. Why do all responses have to be positive?

I appreciate the folks wanting more positivity in the world in these times, but if something sucks, folks are also allowed to be honest about it.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but I also posted a few weeks back about one of the Rapha vids and got a lot of negative reactions and feedback. It seems to have become bandwagon to jump on Rapha, which might be hatred directed towards Froomey and Sky? They're just a clothing sponsor that happened to sponsor Sky. What components does Sky ride - Shimano?? Anyone dumping their D/A, R8000 stuff b/c of it? Why does Shimano and others have their names plastered everyone - to sell more stuff. Yes it may not be up to the cinematic quality of Siskel and Ebert (RIP) and yes they may be subtly trying to promote some of their gear, but the end goal is that is motivational and tries to get people involved in cycling. If one kid sitting around on an Xbox gets a wiff of this and thinks to try out cycling and realizes that its not all hardcore racing, bravo! A secular sport like this needs documentaries and things to draw in others. I much rather watch this in my free time or when traveling, then some overpaid pretentious actor who can only memorize one or two lines in between shots and gets paid $25M to do so.

Like others said, it was free. No one had to pay to watch. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (Nothing spent, nothing lost)

Agree with your post, just not the Froome part. Rapha's been outa Sky for 3 years now ( and Castelli doesn't seem to be taking public wrath). I think Rapha draws a target on their back because they set themselves up to be pretentious while having their products contract manufactured in China.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

Lots of fit people doing wonderful things outside dressed to the nines. Then I wonder...who's footing the bill for all this? How did that awesome stone oven get out in the middle of nowhere? Are their parents still working into their 70's so this can happen? Leaves my mind spinning with rhetorical questions...not very relaxing
Well, two of the riders are Australian and one is Spanish, so they don't have to worry about health care...

I liked it--I think I watched part of another film those 2 guys made, about a long ride in Australia (?). The 'spiritual journey' stuff could get a little heavy handed, and ditto for the message 'red state, blue state, we're all just people.' They were NOT clothed head to toe in Rapha, like in some of those other Rapha movies. There was a sort of thrift store Rapha aesthetic.

It's a low budget feature film about a long bike ride, better than most of the Netflix and Amazon garbage I've watched in the past year for sure.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

Google "Drapac." The kid is doing fine and the Mortons were childhood friends and it seems that dad is looking out for them too, which is how Lachlan got a job in the peloton again last year.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Bike Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbianchi View Post
I cannot help but imagine the purpose of such a film, beyond selling Rapha stuff. Is this the promotion of a different lifestyle or purpose to cycling?
Adventure is in right now.