Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 09:55 PM

OT: Given the Wagon (Wagen?) love on this forum . . . (specific car-buying question)

If I know anything about this group, it's that there is an above-average appreciation for the wagon. This weekend it has become clear that our trusty little Subaru (1997 Outback Sport (the one built on the Impreza hatchback platform) is nearer the end of its life than we wish it was.

While I am sorely tempted to reach up for a newer Subaru Outback (wagon), I also recognize that we don't really "need" AWD.

My specific question is this:

Would you buy a used (post-"fix") TDI wagon?

My follow up question:

What would you look for/be aware of in choosing such a vehicle?

And, of course:

What other cars should I be considering? (Target budget: $10,000. We're already considering: Outback, Volvo, Ford Focus.)
Old 07-15-2018, 03:13 AM

I’m driving a 2004 Audi A4 wagon (that I bought from a forum member). It has a small turbo gas engine and a 6 speed manual transmission.

It’s essentially the same car as a Jetta / golf sportwagen (in terms of size and aesthetics) and at least on my local Craigslist, they are almost being given away. Lots of nice examples for sub $5k.

I recently got the new car itch, but after searching s bit and doing some research, I’m leaning towards keeping mine for another few years. I get upper 20s MPG, it’s fun to drive, fits the family of 4 if it needs to and is a beast in the snow. I am tempted to get the same car but a few generations newer, but I’m having trouble finding one with a stick. Seems they stopped offering the Avant with a manual transmission at some point.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:37 AM

the tdi scandal thread bouncing around this forum is pretty much an exhaustive report on all things tdi and vw.

i doubt you'll be able to find a post-scandal tdi for <10k.

edit: just checked my local cl, i live in one of the 20 largest cities in the country and there is one recemt tdi wagon on cl for <10k. 2014, auto, 132kmi. and it's 50 miles away from the metro area!

Last edited by likebikes; 07-15-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:32 AM

I'd be looking for a PRE-fix TDI.

Actually I'm looking at a convertible VW EOS right now
Old 07-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Jag was on my local CL, now on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273355535841
Old 07-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
My specific question is this:

Would you buy a used (post-"fix") TDI wagon?

My follow up question:

What would you look for/be aware of in choosing such a vehicle?

And, of course:

What other cars should I be considering? (Target budget: $10,000. We're already considering: Outback, Volvo, Ford Focus.)
No issues on post-fix TDis. They will drive *slightly* differently than the same car pre-fix, but since you don't have the pre-fix experience, it's no big deal.

And you can't beat the fuel economy!

The 3 liter TDi motors in VW, Audi, and Porsche all come with a 4 year/48K mile extended warranty on the long block, turbos, and all emissions devices. I would guess that the 2 liter motors have a similar warranty.

We just turned in a 201 VW Touareg TDi and purchased a 2013 Audi Q7 TDi with some of the proceeds. It was a *very* good deal.

With any used car, obviously, you'll want to have a complete pre purchase inspection done. Check suspension, electrical, other mechanical, etc.

A 2009-2012 Audi A4 wagon might be a good alternative, by the way. Fabulous cars, fun to drive, economical on (premium) gas. The earlier cars have the Takata airbag recall to think about... And this generation, by the way, had an issue with oil consumption. If you're looking at a B8 Audi, you should confirm that the fix (new rings/pistons) have been done.

We bought a clean 2010 A4 sedan, 2 liter turbo, quattro, with 100K miles a year ago for $8K. That was somewhat below market. You should be able to find similar sedans and wagons today in that price range.

You will also need a good private mechanic. These cars are pretty reliable and a good private mechanic won't be a budget buster (unlike dealer service.)

Lots of good forums -- tdiclub, audiworld, quattroworld, audizine...

Have fun shopping!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM

I have a 2012 A4 Avant that I adore. It recently came off warranty and I have had very little issues with it. Got the new pistons and have no oil consumption issues anymore. Just had to replace a joint in the steering column ($800) and now need to replace the AC blower motor and controller which I am going to attempt myself. If you have a good independent Audi wrench in your area I’d look for a 2012. If not pass on Audi’s in general.

I still have a rattling sunroof which they’ve never been able to fix and wouldn’t replace under CPO warranty but that my only gripe. I have the whispbar rack system and loading bikes is a breeze.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:48 PM
but not really

Very happy a4 Avant owner here. I found a 2007 b7 with less than 60k miles last winter. $11k. Wished it was stick but I've grown to accept the automatic. 30 mpg on highway trips with 87 octane and plenty of room to put the bike inside if I'm traveling solo. Local buddy helped me with some required preventative maintenance.

FYI, can't get a manual Avant in USA after the B7. B8+ are all automatic.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 PM

I have a 2005 Passat GLS TDI wagon with a manual. The car has been thoroughly and meticulously maintained and is near bullet-proof. I LOVE the manual. One of the nation's foremost Passat TDI mechanics imports the manual trans from Germany and installs them, along with the timing chain conversion and a few other engine mods designed to make the car go forever. I easily get 40+mpg. After all this, the car should do 1MM miles. It's got 190K now and requires virtually no maintenance, save the frequent oil changes. I just got a Model 3 and may, regrettably, sell the Passat. I like both cars tons. One analog, the other digital.

Last edited by mistermo; 07-15-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 AM

I really appreciate all of the information here. Actually just took the Subaru in this morning for what might be its final visit--seems something is afoot in the transmission . . . Sigh.

I just wish there was a source for information about the criteria I care about in owning a car. Our family is actually mostly "car-light." Our uses, in order of frequency:

--Kids' carpools
--Rambles up the canyon (~35 miles, 1-2 trips/week)
--Occasional CostCo trips (~15 miles, 1 trip/month)
--Visit family in the next town over (~50 miles, 1-2 times/month)
--Visit family in CO (~500 miles, 3-4 times/year)

We are able to get everything else done on foot or bike. If not for the seatbelt/cargo capacity needed for the carpool and canyon trips, respectively, we would certainly buy a smaller car and rent/borrow when the bigger trips came around.

I don't really need a 'driving experience.' I care about price, reliability, and functionality way more than anything else. We've looked seriously at minivans (I love the practicality), but they lack the clearance (really, it's an issue of angle-of-attack) to get around in our neighborhood (lots of steep ascents, sharp dips, etc.) without incessant scraping.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just find another Subaru that fits the budget?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
I don't really need a 'driving experience.' I care about price, reliability, and functionality way more than anything else. We've looked seriously at minivans (I love the practicality), but they lack the clearance (really, it's an issue of angle-of-attack) to get around in our neighborhood (lots of steep ascents, sharp dips, etc.) without incessant scraping.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just find another Subaru that fits the budget?
Sounds like you need another subaru, then. Maybe take a look at the Jetta (gas) sportwagen and the Passat wagon came with the 2.0t for a few years.

A used Audi/BMW wagon bought in at your $10k budget will bleed you dry if you are relying on a shop to handle your service & repairs.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Sounds like you need another subaru, then. Maybe take a look at the Jetta (gas) sportwagen and the Passat wagon came with the 2.0t for a few years.

A used Audi/BMW wagon bought in at your $10k budget will bleed you dry if you are relying on a shop to handle your service & repairs.
Agree.

If you don't care about the driving experience aspect, then skip a used audi or VW and get a subie. My family has had several over the years...brother has a recent Outback right and MIL has a brand new Legacy sedan. Both are okay cars, but to bring it back to cycling they compare to driving my Audi as a Surly Cross Check compares to riding my Hampsten...

Also, paying a premium for a more fuel efficient car doesn't really make sense if you're driving fewer than 10k miles per year.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM

Just talked to the mechanic--rear differential failure on the Subaru, which is entirely bizarre.

$800 repair, or say our goodbyes . . .

In any case, it looks like the car shopping is about to get a lot more urgent.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
Agree.

If you don't care about the driving experience aspect, then skip a used audi or VW and get a subie. My family has had several over the years...brother has a recent Outback right and MIL has a brand new Legacy sedan. Both are okay cars, but to bring it back to cycling they compare to driving my Audi as a Surly Cross Check compares to riding my Hampsten...

Also, paying a premium for a more fuel efficient car doesn't really make sense if you're driving fewer than 10k miles per year.
This is exactly the kind of straight talk I need to hear. You're probably right that we really don't drive enough to make the difference in fuel economy a huge part of the equation. Lots of thinking to do tonight . . .

Thanks again to all who have chimed in.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:19 AM

$800 isn't that much for a car repair. i'd fix the differential and drive it until the engine seizes or given that it's a subaru, the head gasket blows (again)

is your mechanic a local independent guy/shop? call around and get other quotes...