Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 PM
kg

Saddle recommendation

I know that this is a minefield -- ever tush is different. I have a reasonably specific question about shape.

I've been using Spec Romin Evo 130mm for years but I've recently come to understand that I sit on it askew and need a wider saddle. A wider Romin Evo won't work because my right leg points inward (I've been working on it for years) and the slow taper means it's too wide for me where my thigh hits.

So I need a 143mm saddle with a fast taper between the rear and the nose, and I want a generous cutout, I think -- though maybe the right shape will make that unnecessary.

I'm currently trying a Selle Italia Superflow 143mm. The taper is good but the edges of the cutout hit me wrong.

Are there other Selle Italia or Selle San Marco or other brands you might recommend? I've been through the SMP gauntlet and not going back.

FWIW, the only thing I do on the bike is train (about 12 hours a week) and race (Cat 3).
Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
a fast taper between the rear and the nose, .
i thought immediately of the fizik antares when i read this part. fast taper indeed. also available in VS trim with a cutout.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:42 PM

The Prologo Nago Evo Pas (whew, all these words for one model) has a quicker taper imho, with a similar...though slightly less, front to back profile. It is considered a semi-round model too. I believe its a 141 or 142 in width. The Kappa series also has an "evo pas" model with is a very similar profile to the Nago Evo. And they are available for about $50 give or take. The new "Space" sub model also includes a cutout with a bit more padding. In fact it has a little more generous cutout than the others.

Making sense of the Prologo offerings can be a challenge. However, they have very good customer support and email is answered in one day as a general rule.

The round models (vs flat or semi-round) of Prologo (Scratch models) might provide quicker taper also. Picking a saddle is tough. You just never know.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 PM

Maybe try some of the Shimano PRO saddles. They're all available in 134 or 143, and all available with and without cutouts.

Have you considered trying a wider saddle that is more rounded left to right, to give you a bit more leg clearance?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:02 PM

SQ Labs . You have to find a local dealer and do a saddle fitting. They're spectacular.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:37 AM

Specialized Power. With the short nose, you won't need to worry about the nose being too wide because it ain't there. Demo one if you can.

If you like the rear of the Romins, you like this.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 AM

Try the SQ Lab 611. It's a German company that offers three sizing 13, 14 and 15cm. They're awesome and sounds like would work well for you.
http://www.sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-produ...l#.VhzUf7ROTdk
Old 10-13-2015, 05:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I know that this is a minefield -- ever tush is different. I have a reasonably specific question about shape.

I've been using Spec Romin Evo 130mm for years but I've recently come to understand that I sit on it askew and need a wider saddle. A wider Romin Evo won't work because my right leg points inward (I've been working on it for years) and the slow taper means it's too wide for me where my thigh hits.

So I need a 143mm saddle with a fast taper between the rear and the nose, and I want a generous cutout, I think -- though maybe the right shape will make that unnecessary.

I'm currently trying a Selle Italia Superflow 143mm. The taper is good but the edges of the cutout hit me wrong.

Are there other Selle Italia or Selle San Marco or other brands you might recommend? I've been through the SMP gauntlet and not going back.

FWIW, the only thing I do on the bike is train (about 12 hours a week) and race (Cat 3).

Tee hee, like Brooks, either love or hate.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:28 AM

What about the zoncolan?