Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM

Zinn and the Art of Wheel Buying

Typical me, I've been agonizing over the wheels for my new bicycle. My LBS favored the Rolf Elan's while Smiley favored a wheelbuilder.

I learned as much as I could, which wasn't much, about 650c wheels and was pretty sure a wheelbuilder was my best choice.

I happened to be at a benefit Sat. night and Leonard Zinn happened to be there. So....., I asked him what the best choice was. Here I am, with a glass of Cabernet in my hand, discussing prebuilt wheels vs. handbuilt. He's really a nice man, too tall for me, but a nice man.

The result was that Rolf Elan are overbuilt for me, CJ was there so he heard the verdict, and I called Jeremy this morning and ordered my wheels.

The wheels are going to be Nimble Spider Rims, with AC front hub and Tune rear hub with Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

Colors are black hub, silver spokes and dark blue nipples (to match the touch of dark blue in my frame).

Thanks Smiley, Ergott, Leonard Zinn and everyone else who helped me make this decision.

Kathi
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Steel fan

Clever thread title.

Sounds like a nice guy.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
ergottWheels

Not a problem. Tell Jeremy I said, "Hi."
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Bike Fitter

what I can't get is why riders think that One size fits all with pre-builts , a decision you won't regret Kathi . Tell Jeremy I am still waiting for my wheels and when is he going to rsvp Nottrott 2006
Old 04-24-2006, 08:58 PM

That's what Zinn was saying and it's just as hard for someone like him to get the right equipment as it is for a small person.

I also learned that a 650c wheel is 25% stiffer than the same wheel in a 700c.So my handbuilt Open Pros, with 32 spokes front and rear are 25% stiffer than my SO's handbuilt Open Pros that are 700c's, also with 32 spokes.

No wonder I didn't get any wheels out of true or break spokes! It was impossible.

Kathi
Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Bike Fitter

at 100 lbs and 5 ft tall , my guess is you were never going to break anyting All this custom made for u stuff you'll love , why don't u fy down and join us at Nottrott 2006 , I know you can't ride but you still can eat right drink OK right and bs with all of us too
Old 04-24-2006, 09:22 PM

I'd love to come, but if I come east it would be so tempting to want to ride "The Horsey Hundred" in Georgetown, Ky on Memorial Day Weekend. It's just torturing me not to be able to ride it this year.

Looks like Sept for Pa. My SO's mother lives in Harrisburg and it's her 80th birthday. The rest of the family is in Hanover, Pa. Plus, we're doing BRAT and Cycle N. Carolina.

Another thought I had about wheels, bike salespeople promote light wheels as appropriate for small riders. So riders like me get the impression that all that is needed is the "lightest wheelset". Also, they tend to promote what works for them or someone they know. Doesn't mean its right for everyone.

Kathi