Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 AM

Experience with Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tire?

I've been wanting to try some wider tires when my new Anderson arrives and have been looking for something in a 32mm that is still light and lively. Anyone using these? Or have another recommendation? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM

I have the 35mm version. I wouldn't call them "light and lively" by any stretch. They ride reasonably well but are pretty heavy. They would make an excellent all-rounder or commuter though.

If you want "light and lively" in a wider tire try the Gran Bois Cypres.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I've been wanting to try some wider tires when my new Anderson arrives and have been looking for something in a 32mm that is still light and lively. Anyone using these? Or have another recommendation? Thanks.
Hyper in 32 actually is pretty light and lively. It is not a racing tire, true, but for its volume (more like a big 33) it rides nicely, wears well and does pretty well against punctures. I think around 360 grams for the tire. Great for commuting, back roads and does not ride anything like the other Vittoria Rando tires.

Give 'em a shot. Reflective stripe is a nice bonus.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijoring View Post
Hyper in 32 actually is pretty light and lively. It is not a racing tire, true, but for its volume (more like a big 33) it rides nicely, wears well and does pretty well against punctures. I think around 360 grams for the tire. Great for commuting, back roads and does not ride anything like the other Vittoria Rando tires.

+1
I've had mine for a few hundred kilometres mostly road but some unpaved paths and rail trails as well. The reflective strip is quite bright but I think it's already starting to peel off a bit on one end.

Not sure how light and lively they are but I also liked the Panaracer T-Servs.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 AM
IamEllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijoring View Post

+2,

I rode these all last winter on my cross bike and really liked them. For a tire of this size, they're plenty light, and many times more durable than a Grand Bois.

My two bits,
Dave
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM

I like the Hypers. I've also tired normal Randonneurs and Marathon Supremes. The Hypers are, IMHO, the best feeling and rolling of the three. They wear very well too.

Chris
Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
I like the Hypers. I've also tired normal Randonneurs and Marathon Supremes. The Hypers are, IMHO, the best feeling and rolling of the three. They wear very well too.

Chris
Yep
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Tires

I highly recommend the Gran Bois Cypres 32mm tires. Smooth, supple and light. I wouldn't routinely use them on gravel though.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM

I just ordered a set of Vittoria R-Hyers but haven't installed them yet. When I was looking at 32 mm tires, I read a lot of reviews and they were almost universally favorable for the Hypers in terms of ride quality, comfort, durability and flat protection. I've been running Vittoria Rubino Pros on one of the my other bikes and have been very impressed with the handling and low rolling resistance, and that made me more inclined to try the Hypers. I got the Hypers for my touring bike and wanted a tire that was wide enough for loaded tours but still reasonably light and nice riding. Hopefully they will fit the bill.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I use these on my daily rider. They have a comfortable, lively ride. Puncture resistance is very good. The 32s run true to size, and the 35s measure a little better. My commute includes several miles of dirt road/trail, and they perform surprisingly well.

Another tire to consider is the Panaracer Pasela (non-TG). Puncture resistance isn't as good as the Hyper, but the ride is nicer.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM

YMMV, but it is well known that the Vittoria Randoneur is the hardest tire in the world to get off a rim. If you are riding with them, best be prepared and bring 5 tires levers, some tin snips, a mallet, and a cell phone for a ride home...

-Joe
Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
YMMV, but it is well known that the Vittoria Randoneur is the hardest tire in the world to get off a rim. If you are riding with them, best be prepared and bring 5 tires levers, some tin snips, a mallet, and a cell phone for a ride home...

-Joe
There are many Randonneur variants. I can't speak to the other models/versions, but I can remove/install my 700x32 Hypers without tire levers.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM

I put the plain Randos on Belgiums and they mounted up fine. I used them on Open Pros last winter/fall without issue although they ride a bit like concrete blocks.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
IamEllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post

-Joe
I've never had to use a tire lever to either mount or remove a 32c Hyper, not sure how you're encountering this problem?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Husband is rolling on the 32 Hypers and loves them. Nice rounded profile, good and comfy ride for their size, reasonable weight for the mass and superb puncture resistance. Likes them better than the Roly Poly and Pasela tires.
On CXP33s they measure just under 31 and mount easily.

I've been using Schwalbe Marathons for similar duty and would say similar things about them. Both tires have the reflective ring too.