Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 AM

ot identity theft

I think this subject has been covered before but I just want to put it out there again.

If anyone has older friends and relatives do them a favor and stress how convincing scams are that can and do lead to identity theft as well as straight up theft of money.

I had an older gentleman come in yesterday with a check he was ready to send to one of these a$$holes for several thousand dollars. The reason was that he had "won" money and they needed the check for processing fees. The things that they DID get from him though were his SSN, Bank account numbers, and other info.

These scammers prey on ignorance and tend to sound VERY convincing.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:04 PM

Re:

Several years ago my mother-in-law got a 2am phone call from someone pretending to be her grandson. Told her he was in jail out of state and needed bail. Please don't call my parents...etc. Of course she sent 3 grand off via western union... money gone, lesson (hopefully) learned.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Administrator

these people are scum, and relentless.

they definitely do their research these days too and obtain contact info of known elderly, vulnerable folks, and use inside angles to pry money out of them.

this is a new one that is running rampant around here. a two ring call in the middle of the night, and if you call back you get hit with HUGE per/minute charges. many people suspect something is important if you get a phone call at 2AM.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.a8686aa82f37
Old 05-29-2019, 03:53 PM

My dad has a neighbor that is 97 who had a scammer ask her to FEDEX a blank signed check to him for credit card payments that were over due. The FEDEX driver, noticing her age, asked her what was in the envelope and he told her it was a scam. The next day same FEDEX driver returns to her house to pick up another envelope with signed blank check. FEDEX told her that they will no longer service her house. She has no living relatives in the area and refuses to go to assisted living/ nursing home. Neighbors say she has a net worth around $3 million. Last week called my dad and said she was hungry and didn't have any food. Took her down dinner. Told her that I was calling police and social services. She wouldn't answer the door when they came. Called 911 yesterday and demanded something be done. Neighbor had key to her house so went in as a "visit" and the EMS/Fire Department took her to the hospital. Sometimes I wonder if living to 100 is worth it.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Administrator

A friend's mother got into a car, not sure if was an Uber or taxi, that was coordinated by a scammer. They took her to Best Buy (or Home Depot, etc) for her to purchase some gift cards. The scammer was posing as a niece/nephew who was in trouble and needed some money. I can't recall if she gave the gift cards to the driver, or if she gave the scammer the numbers.

I still can't believe she got in a car that was arranged by the scammer...that's scary!!!

I tell my mom don't answer the phone if you don't know the number, and don't respond to any emails that want anything from you and don't click on the links. If she is considering responding to an email, I have her call me first and I look at the email before she replies.

I have an coworker who is in his 60's and he does okay with tech stuff, but somehow he always has a bunch of malware on his computer. I try to tell him, just don't click on any links that you aren't sure about. I showed him how to find out where the links are actually going, but yet he still goes to places he shouldn't.

As Nick said..."these people are scum, and relentless."
Old 05-29-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
Several years ago my mother-in-law got a 2am phone call from someone pretending to be her grandson. Told her he was in jail out of state and needed bail. Please don't call my parents...etc. Of course she sent 3 grand off via western union... money gone, lesson (hopefully) learned.
That same thing happened to my mother last year. Lucky that I called her that same day, saved her a few grand. I stressed to her not to send any $$ to anyone,call myself or my brother before you do anything.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:52 PM

I hate these people. Pathetic scum as stated above. Had our credit cards compromised twice so far. All worked out in the end but a huge hassle.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:33 PM

Can anyone enlighten me how these scammers use things like getting someone to buy iTunes gift cards to rip money off of people.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Llewellyn I'm not sure if I completely understood your question but here's a go at it.

Often times the scammer will resell the card for a lower money amount than what is on the card. Some cards I believe also have a money value but I could be wrong.

What I've seen most is where the person being scammed will simply wire transfer money, send a bank check, etc to the scammer.

Other versions of the scam are where the victim is convinced that they have to give out personal and/or financial information to the scammer. Once this happens it's not tough for the scammer to drain bank accounts and open up charge accounts etc in the victim's name.

One of our detectives told me today that last fall we had a case where an older lady was in the process of being scammed but the local business saw it for what it was and told her repeatedly that it was a scam and that she was being taken advantage of. Our people got involved before she lost money THAT time. This happened 4 days in a row with the same lady and although our guys did as much as they could she still got taken because she couldn't process what she was being told.

One of the scams that I'm seeing more of is that the victim will be "contacted" by the social security administration. The scammer will tell the person that their ssn has been suspended due to it being stolen and they need to verify their ssn and other info in order for the ssn to be reinstated. I saw this a couple of times over the last month or so. One of the victims was older which didn't surprise me. The victim that DID surprise me was the person in their mid 20's that had gotten scammed.

Last edited by parris; 05-29-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 PM

A recent one that I have received is a very official call regarding student loans. They tell me that my student loans are overdue. Well I haven’t had any student loans for 35 years. And they were paid in full! I have also had the Social Security call. Because I know that social security does not call you regarding issues with your account, I know not to return the call.
A friend of mine once said, if these people would put all of this energy into good ideas and good products, they would not have to lie cheat and steal to make a living!