Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 01:14 PM
all slow no go

Front rack advice (porter/pizza style)

Alright, so, working more on my Kona townie. I popped on my old cetma halfrack for a mockup, but it really is *not* properly mounted.

I would love some hive mind suggestions for racks/mounting solutions. Notes are as follows:
  • Would love to use this rack since I have it, but open to purchasing another flatbed/basket compatible rack.
  • Fork crown is drilled, good!
  • Could also mount to the canti bosses.
  • Dropouts only have one set of eyelets, at the rear
  • Fork legs are *thick* and offset such that axle mounting against the outer edge of the dropout is not a given, depending on the mount.
  • Wheels are QR. I don't think swapping in a solid axle is possible, and a new hub is not on the table.
  • Cetma rack legs and dropout ends are fixed, no options to swap out to a different mount style/location.

Suggestions please! Just get some big p-clamps and go to town? Maybe a bolt-on QR skewer alternative with mounting or more stability? Canti-mounted instead of axle mounted?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:08 PM
Randomhead

So you don't think that spacers on the dropout eyelets would work? I have done this on a couple of bikes for randonneur racks, not that those are really any different.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:19 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
So you don't think that spacers on the dropout eyelets would work? I have done this on a couple of bikes for randonneur racks, not that those are really any different.
That *could* work. I'd need to swap to non-qr skewers for clearance. And the rack ends are basically dropouts, so not 100% confident they'd hold well to just a 4/5mm bolt.

I'll grab some photos in a bit...
Old 05-05-2021, 02:45 PM

I say get a burly internal cam skewer and close it real good
Old 05-05-2021, 02:52 PM
all slow no go

Photos for context. QR is open just to see everything a bit more easily (it covers the eyelet when closed). Yes, rack is currently mounted inside the fork legs which is NOT recommended - only way it fits.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:06 PM
Meh

Nitto M12 rack and ziptie a Wald basket to it.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:57 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Nitto M12 rack and ziptie a Wald basket to it.
The small rack is stable enough with a basket + load?
Old 05-05-2021, 04:30 PM

I have the exact same issue you do with the fork on my Sycip and it drove me nuts not being able to put the rack I wanted on the front.

On one bike I have the VO version of the Nitto rack recommended with a Wald 137 zip tied to it on one bike, probably have put more than the recommended 12 lbs on it but I wasn't very comfortable doing it. Great for small loads.

I have a Soma Deluxe Porteur that I purchased hoping the rack adapters at the bottom would be enough to clear the rounded fork section on the Sycip.. they did not. That rack now sits on another bike. You're free to come by and test fit if you'd like.

I went as far as getting a set of rivnuts to add mounts to my fork but then didn't end up going through with drilling holes in my fork.

Local framebuilder Wildwood said he could add eyelets for a very reasonable price but I wouldn't be able to colour-match the fork to my satisfaction.

P-clamps or something from here are probably your best bet for non-invasive modifications. I found p-clamps weren't secure enough for my application and slid around under load.

The Kona came out great, by the way - it looks perfect.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:49 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
That *could* work. I'd need to swap to non-qr skewers for clearance. And the rack ends are basically dropouts, so not 100% confident they'd hold well to just a 4/5mm bolt.
I saw those struts with the dropouts on the bottom end, but I thought they had some with 5mm ends as an option.

I wonder if anyone sells struts that would work.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:59 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I saw those struts with the dropouts on the bottom end, but I thought they had some with 5mm ends as an option.

I wonder if anyone sells struts that would work.
This is an older version of the rack and the struts aren't removable or adjustable, sadly. I'd just swap it if that were the case. I'm thinking the Nitto M12 (or similar) and reserving it for light loads might be best...
Old 05-05-2021, 09:19 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopes View Post
On one bike I have the VO version of the Nitto rack recommended with a Wald 137 zip tied to it on one bike, probably have put more than the recommended 12 lbs on it but I wasn't very comfortable doing it. Great for small loads.

[....]

Local framebuilder Wildwood said he could add eyelets for a very reasonable price but I wouldn't be able to colour-match the fork to my satisfaction.

Nitto or VO rack are appealing (if I can get my hands on one). Focusing on a smaller load might be fine.

I wonder if Wildwood or maybe Wzrd would be down to modify the rack instead of the fork....
Old 05-05-2021, 11:45 PM

Mark (wzrd) would definitely be game. Mad-scientist
Old 05-06-2021, 12:55 AM

Nitto m12 might be your best bet.

I have one I have zip tied a basket to and it worked fine. It did get some sway with heavier loads though.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:10 AM
That guy..

Should trade your half rack for my 7 rail cetma haha

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2021, 10:20 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopes View Post
Mark (wzrd) would definitely be game. Mad-scientist
I've already pinged him and sounds like he's game to at least consider some options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Should trade your half rack for my 7 rail cetma haha
A bit overkill size-wise