Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 AM

Actual Tire Width/Rim Combo Database (can't find it) re: GP5000 actual tire width Q

I remember somebody compiled a shared excel spreadsheet of actual tire widths as measured with actual rims (measurements provided by people who owned said combos). My google searches are not yielding this database as seems I'm not using the right search terms. Can't remember which site I saw this said database was posted on initially.

Looking for actual as inflated width of the continental GP5000 on a HED C2 rim (the 23mm wide and 19 mm internal I think it was) version. Not the HED plus rims.

My current tires look like they need to be replaced due to age (cracking a bit) and are GP4000 II in 23mm. Had clearance issues with this road bike at the chainstay when trying to use GP4 Seasons in a 25mm previously. For reference it is a 2014 Supersix EVO non hi-mod frame.

I think the 25mm GP5000 should have enough clearance but wanted to make sure before I bought a pair.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
I remember somebody compiled a shared excel spreadsheet of actual tire widths as measured with actual rims (measurements provided by people who owned said combos). My google searches are not yielding this database as seems I'm not using the right search terms. Can't remember which site I saw this said database was posted on initially.

Looking for actual as inflated width of the continental GP5000 on a HED C2 rim (the 23mm wide and 19 mm internal I think it was) version. Not the HED plus rims.

My current tires look like they need to be replaced due to age (cracking a bit) and are GP4000 II in 23mm. Had clearance issues with this road bike at the chainstay when trying to use GP4 Seasons in a 25mm previously. For reference it is a 2014 Supersix EVO non hi-mod frame.

I think the 25mm GP5000 should have enough clearance but wanted to make sure before I bought a pair.
Supersix HiMod of that vintage had roughly 26mm actual width tire clearance with 3mm on each side, as I remember. I used a 23mm GP4K which ballooned up to 25-26mm with wide rims back in the day.

From anecdotal evidence the 25mm GP5K fits at around 26mm for 19mm ID rims, but as always YMMV.

https://intheknowcycling.com/contine...omment-page-1/
Old 03-22-2021, 11:55 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

I have one started here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ighlight=Width
Old 03-22-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
That's what I was thinking of! Thanks for the reminder. Looks like nobody posted HED C2 rims though and only "Plus" versions.

I finally got off my butt and just now took a caliper to my tires (current PSI is unknown but I filled it up yesterday around lunchtime for a ride and that was at 90psi). Came in just over 26mm wide inflated on my crappy calipers (26.05 to be precise) and to clarify these are clinchers. I'll have to sort through those other links in your original thread to see if I can find the C2 with the GP5000 or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Supersix HiMod of that vintage had roughly 26mm actual width tire clearance with 3mm on each side, as I remember. I used a 23mm GP4K which ballooned up to 25-26mm with wide rims back in the day.

From anecdotal evidence the 25mm GP5K fits at around 26mm for 19mm ID rims, but as always YMMV.

https://intheknowcycling.com/contine...omment-page-1/
That might work....if it is close to 26mm wide (or 27mm would work too) as it has more than 2mm of clearance each side with the GP4000II's I've got now (I eyeball it at 3mm but didn't measure). I know whatever it ballooned to with the 25mm GP4Seasons it wasn't enough to keep from rubbing the chainstay (it had about 1mm of clearance each side).
Old 05-09-2021, 10:30 PM

Finally got around to mounting 25c GP5000 tires on my wheels. They came in narrower inflated to 90psi around 24.8mm using the same tubes.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
Finally got around to mounting 25c GP5000 tires on my wheels. They came in narrower inflated to 90psi around 24.8mm using the same tubes.
Updated HED C2 width wheels.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:56 AM

I found that using latex tubes results in a wider tire, all else equal.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I found that using latex tubes results in a wider tire, all else equal.
I don't see how that could possible be true. Pressure is pressure, so the presence of the tube should not affect how the tire reacts to internal pressure; nor does the tube change the interface between the tire and the rim. I use both latex and butyl tubes, and haven't found any difference in the inflated width of tires on a given rim. I suggest you go back and re-measure.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I don't see how that could possible be true. Pressure is pressure, so the presence of the tube should not affect how the tire reacts to internal pressure; nor does the tube change the interface between the tire and the rim. I use both latex and butyl tubes, and haven't found any difference in the inflated width of tires on a given rim. I suggest you go back and re-measure.
No thanks.

I suggest you consider the difference in the modulus of elasticity.

Or imagine that your tube was steel, perfectly filling the inner space of your tire. How much pressure steel have on the tire? Could be zero. Not to suggest butyl tubes are steel. The pressure inside the tube is constrained by not only the tire but also by the tube.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:15 AM

Old 05-10-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Sir, that pic is the GP4k. The OP asked for GP5k info.

Don't think there's a WAM/RAM type official document, but all available anecdotal evidence suggest that the GP5K is close to true to width on 19mm hooked clincher rims when inflated to around 75psi.

Also there's this google doc which has floated around a bit:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...PsQ/edit#gid=0
Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
No thanks.

I suggest you consider the difference in the modulus of elasticity.

Or imagine that your tube was steel, perfectly filling the inner space of your tire. How much pressure steel have on the tire? Could be zero. Not to suggest butyl tubes are steel. The pressure inside the tube is constrained by not only the tire but also by the tube.
The difference in elasticity between the tire and tube is huge. A tube can stretch to twice its diameter with just a few psi of pressure, where as a tire will stretch a few percent of its diameter with 100 psi. That suggests that the elasticity of a tube is more than 2 magnitudes greater than that of the tire. Which means the difference in elasticity of a tire with and without a tube will be a fraction of a percent. And the difference in elasticity of a tire between two different types of tubes will be smaller still. The difference will be basically meaningless.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Sir, that pic is the GP4k. The OP asked for GP5k info.
I can read, well aware the image says GP4k, just adding to Kppolich's data base, and people beside your self are always looking for comparisons.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM

4k were oversized, 5k are truer to size. I believe my 5k 32's measure 31 and change on a narrow rim.