Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
As far as tubeless tires go, they're probably the best for flat protection. However, when compared with something like the Schwalbe, Vittoria, or Continential, there's much more rotational weight.

meh. I don't like that yellow side wall font... Otherwise seem to be decent tires.
700x32c will be my best guess... they look quite wide.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The local shop that sponsors my club ditched Conti because they are available on the internet at far below what the shop would have to sell them for. It picked up Pirelli and everyone who switched seems to really like them. I haven’t because Conti used to sponsor my race team 25 years ago and I’m still appreciative. I really like the GP 5000 TL tires. I’ve ridden them in 25c and now I’m using 28c. They have proven very durable despite what some here have said. I live in Battenkill country and consider pavement to be optional. I’m sure the Pirellis are nice too.
great feedback! thank you. Funny because I was about to buy a set of new tires and couldn't make up my mind... Always had Conti but wanted to try Pirelli. I guess I can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:42 PM
Forward the Foundation

I've the P Zero, 25s with para sidewalls, brown in 'murican.
They ride nice, sticky. Made in France.
Anyone with P Zero 28s, how wide are they ?

Too bad they don't come in 32mm and 35mm.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:41 AM

I had a set from 2017 when they first came out and was not impressed at all. They were lumpy as all hell, and a friend of mine experienced the same. Maybe I should take a look at the new 2020 versions!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
As far as tubeless tires go, they're probably the best for flat protection. However, when compared with something like the Schwalbe, Vittoria, or Continential, there's much more rotational weight.

Love the pedals. I'm not a disc brake fan, but I have to say that it would take some seriously big honkin' calipers to put rim brakes on that.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:14 PM

Is this thing real? It has multiple rear cogs but no rear derailleur. Seems like it would be impossible to search for this and not pull up the bike version of the P-Zero or just the automotive tires by themselves.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stj View Post
Is this thing real? It has multiple rear cogs but no rear derailleur. Seems like it would be impossible to search for this and not pull up the bike version of the P-Zero or just the automotive tires by themselves.
When I googled "Pirelli fat bike", the first thing that popped up was a video on the making of this bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=hbpO75PScG0
Old 02-06-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stj View Post
When I googled "Pirelli fat bike", the first thing that popped up was a video on the making of this bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=hbpO75PScG0

As can be seen in the video, one of the features of this bike is that it doesn't need a kickstand.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagorider View Post
I currently have GP5000 on and have just purchased Pirelli Zero Velo (ironically as a winter tire)... Will switch over soon-ish and report back!
So now that I've done a few thousand km on the pirelli and having just installed a new pair of gp5000 (the TdF edition!) on the second bike, I think gp5000 feels moe supple and grippy. But I do like that you get different colours on the pirelli!

Anyway seems they just released a new race version. Anyone had a go on them yet?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2021, 01:25 AM

Ridden them, and several of the other models at the shop that I work at.

For a higher quality tire, I can say that they are probably some of the easiest to install when compared to their competitors (continental, vittoria, schwalbe, etc). Sidewalls and beads feel far softer, especially when compared to conti, and I don't feel like I'm struggling to install 25c tires. Wear doesn't seem to suffer, even with the material being on the softer side.

Personally, I like them, customers and coworkers seem to like them, and I will continue to recommend them. As an aside, the cinturatos feel like the go to for my customers who want something on the more durable side.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:41 AM

I am riding both black pirelli p zeros and conti 5000. Both are tube only and 28s. The pirellis are larger than the contis, one Belgium plus rims.

The pirellis have a softer/ more flexible feeling casing, but can't feel it when riding.

As previously said, they both ride very well. I have slight preference for the contis, but I think it is bike bias.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:20 AM

i remember a review of the gp 5000 from one of our members -- heisenberg. his scathing review stuck with me for some reason. made me feel that if you want tires that ride like crap, buy the gp 5000.

here is the thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=232545&page=2
Old 05-08-2021, 09:30 AM

Interesting. Def don't share the same impression. 70/75 at 180lbs sounds low though. I run mine at 80/85 (170lbs) and I find the ride quality to be good. But I haven't tried veloflex etc (though I've tried Vittoria Corsa G+). Anyway, YMMV applies I guess!

Edit: all 25mm tires ridden on 21mm internal rim width.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by chicagorider; 05-08-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I am riding both black pirelli p zeros and conti 5000. Both are tube only and 28s. The pirellis are larger than the contis, one Belgium plus rims.

The pirellis have a softer/ more flexible feeling casing, but can't feel it when riding.

As previously said, they both ride very well. I have slight preference for the contis, but I think it is bike bias.
Would you mind sharing what the 28 Pirelli P Zeros measure out at on your Belgium+ rims?
Old 05-08-2021, 10:02 AM

Difficulties with hookless?

My LBS apparently has had some difficulty with some Pirelli tires on Reynolds rims. The word ‘incompatible’ was used. I don’t know if it has to do with the fact that the Reynolds wheels are hookless, or there was some other issue. I’m also not sure what tires were being used. But the issue came up on a shop employee’s high-end bike, so I gather the tires were the better Pirelli tires.

I don’t use them, and as noted elsewhere in this thread, I haven’t used anything but Conti GP tires for decades, and the GP5000TL tires are great IMO.