Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 03:33 PM

So, I’m guessing you still have to be in Burlington for the nuptial event, not sure when it is in your schedule.
If you want to go about 2 hours from Albany, you can get to Brandon, VT and stay at the Brandon Inn - its a decent choice. Good routes from there, including up over Brandon Gap to Rochester , back over Middlebury gap to E. Midd and then back down to Brandon around lake Dunmore, 50-60 miles. Brandon also has Cafe Provence, a yummy place to eat anything. There are also flatter loops out into southern Addison County. All of Addison County has wonderful riding, and depending on the type of riding you two want these days, some recommendations could be made. If you stay in the Burlington/Middlebury area, you can head up into the mountains, or ride flat up into the Champlain Islands. If you want to venture up into the Northeast Kingdom, you could do worse than going to the Highland Lodge in Greensboro, renting one of their cabins, and riding that lovely area. Lots of choices around here depending on your mood and energy!
Old 05-10-2021, 05:03 AM

Ideas/Recommendations for VT trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
So wedding is happening this year instead and we’re planning a 10day VT your. Thinking we will fly into Albany and work out way north so any road or gravel routes are welcome!

I am about an hour west of Albany in the foothills of the Southern ADK mountains. Fulton County to be exact. There is excellent road and mixed surface riding all around the area.

Give me a shout if you would like to ride out this way and I can either show you both around or hook you up with some routes. I am a party pace rider as opposed to pushing it most of the time, but would be happy to show you around if you decide to take a day or two to check out rural NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
So wedding is happening this year instead and we’re planning a 10day VT your. Thinking we will fly into Albany and work out way north so any road or gravel routes are welcome!
I'd go from Albany straight to Manchester, Vt and spend a few days. One day, I'd ride from Manchester back into NY and do parts of the Tour of Battenkill. Another day, I'd go ride some of the dirt roads up near stratton and along the Green Mountains. Next day, I'd go easier and just ride a tour of some of the covered bridges in the area going back towards Bennington. Plenty of decent places to eat in Manchester although this year may be crowded so I'd book earlier.

After three days in Manchester, I'd drive north to Warren, VT and stay at either Clay Brook or one of the condos at Sugarbush. I'd ride the 6-Gap.
The next day, I'd do some like hiking as you will be torched.

From there, I'd go to Stowe like some others have recommended and do some easy hiking and riding. By this time, you can absolute raid the ice cream shop at the Ben and Jerry's Factory.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:00 AM
It's Polly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerambler View Post
Check out https://www.champlainbikeways.org/

They provide bike map & directions for biking around Lake Champlain. There are several ferries that cross the lake. One favorite is to go north along the lake from Burlington then either ride around the top of the lake or take the Plattsburg ferry to the NY side. Ride south on the Champlain Bikeway route to Port Kent and take the ferry back to Burlington. Depending on you fitness this is a one day ride or, overnight in the Hero islands and make it a leisurely 2 day ride.

Enjoy Vermont.
This is our favorite place in VT, and we've done the Hero Island overnights as well. Great accommodations and dining. Excellent eateries in Burlington. Our favorite is Hen of the Woods.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:45 AM

VT Rt 100

One way to orient yourself as you work your way north is to plan things on and around rt 100 which goes all the way up the center of the state. The start down south is just on the northern reaches of D2R2, the deservedly famous gravel ride. The end is the Northeast Kingdom. You’ve got the Gaps in the middle to choose from. You have the Stowe area, etc. Google 200-on-100 for a little bit more. If you’re feeling frisky you can ride the whole thing in a day like Ted King.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerambler View Post
Check out https://www.champlainbikeways.org/

They provide bike map & directions for biking around Lake Champlain. There are several ferries that cross the lake. One favorite is to go north along the lake from Burlington then either ride around the top of the lake or take the Plattsburg ferry to the NY side. Ride south on the Champlain Bikeway route to Port Kent and take the ferry back to Burlington. Depending on you fitness this is a one day ride or, overnight in the Hero islands and make it a leisurely 2 day ride.

Enjoy Vermont.
Fine recommendation, but check to see if the Port Kent Ferry has reopened. The run was shut down this past year due to Covid.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
After three days in Manchester, I'd drive north to Warren, VT and stay at either Clay Brook or one of the condos at Sugarbush. I'd ride the 6-Gap.
The next day, I'd do some like hiking as you will be torched.
6-Gap?? Seriously? Just the 4 Gap LAMB ride is 120 miles.

If I did that, the next day I wouldn't get out of bed.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
6-Gap?? Seriously? Just the 4 Gap LAMB ride is 120 miles.

If I did that, the next day I wouldn't get out of bed.
6 Gap
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33072599

I think lamb is only 100 miles give or take and you miss all the fun on Lincoln backside gravel.

4 Gap
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33599485

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-10-2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:11 PM

I'm living in Monkton, VT these days (just east of route 7 and just north of Bristol, VT). There are a ton of great roads to check out around here! I'd look into riding through Goshen/Ripton then up to Lincoln VT on Natural Turnpike - it's a quiet, hilly ride on dirt roads.

Check out Sunny Day Cycles in Burlington's south end too. It's a new service focused shop, but Harris (the owner) knows a lot of the great gravel/road routes around here and he's always got some eclectic projects in the shop.

Feel free to message me if you're passing by the area, and have a great trip!