Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Vendor

Thanks!, here are the parts:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-chan...lleys/=17jeyti
https://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-chan...lleys/=17jf0fs
http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-12-...10EG/202714274

I did consider u-brackets sliding along a rod, but in my case I wanted to hang five bikes in as small a space as I could. I was concerned about the rod bending if it was supported only at the ends. I've got 5 bikes hanging up and when pushed together it takes up about 4 feet of space. The total length of channel I'm using is maybe about 8 feet and spans across a door. But, the door is only blocked when I'm sliding the bikes out. The trolley doesn't glide within the channel as smoothly as I hoped, but it works well enough. I showed my brother the setup and he promptly built one for himself.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Thanks!, here are the parts:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-chan...lleys/=17jeyti
https://www.mcmaster.com/#strut-chan...lleys/=17jf0fs
http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-12-...10EG/202714274

I did consider u-brackets sliding along a rod, but in my case I wanted to hang five bikes in as small a space as I could. I was concerned about the rod bending if it was supported only at the ends. I've got 5 bikes hanging up and when pushed together it takes up about 4 feet of space. The total length of channel I'm using is maybe about 8 feet and spans across a door. But, the door is only blocked when I'm sliding the bikes out. The trolley doesn't glide within the channel as smoothly as I hoped, but it works well enough. I showed my brother the setup and he promptly built one for himself.
This is really cool. Did you use trolley A or B? Thanks for posting the links to the parts!

Texbike
Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 AM

I went with a rubber made set up, for general garage organization. They make bike hood ....

Fastback allows you to slide hooks left or right for different shaped bikes. I Hung a lot of wheels between bikes. Using a reusable zip tie to attach a 2nd wheel to hanging wheel. Worked great In my 2nd floor apt.

Might not answer your question exactly but good thoughtful storage is so important and helpful !
Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
This is really cool. Did you use trolley A or B? Thanks for posting the links to the parts!

Texbike
Trolley A. In hindsight, trolley b might roll smoother but it's twice as expensive.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

Such elegant solution! Never really a very organized person nor am I completely haywire, just somewhere in between. Wish I am more inclined to do that but I am not and don't really have to. This is not a braggin' "hey look at my bikes" session, in fact I hesitate to expose what I got...
anyhow, we are lucky that we have "enough space" currently with the "3rd" room in the garage, this would be IMPOSSIBLE in our old house.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I hesitate to expose what I got...
You've gone beyond the N+1 rule!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Such elegant solution! Never really a very organized person nor am I completely haywire, just somewhere in between. Wish I am more inclined to do that but I am not and don't really have to. This is not a braggin' "hey look at my bikes" session, in fact I hesitate to expose what I got...

anyhow, we are lucky that we have "enough space" currently with the "3rd" room in the garage, this would be IMPOSSIBLE in our old house.

Love it.

You've just made me feel better about myself and my choices. I really appreciate this picture. I might print this out and frame it on the door into my bike room to help contextualize things for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM

I set up this cool system for my girlfriend: https://instagram.com/p/BF1yT2xGDZZ/
Works perfectly, and you can not only reposition the hooks, your can lock them in place too -- and they have multiple types of hooks you can add!

Old 05-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Not a robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Here's my setup. The system includes a unistrut channel, wheeled trolley from McMaster, and machine threaded Park hooks. There are also a few mounting brackets (not shown) that attach the unistrut channel to the joists. It works quite well. I did have to enlarge the hole on the trolly a little bit so that the threaded hook could be inserted.
Nicely done!

I did something similar. But for the hooks, heated & bent chunks of all-thread into hooks w/ varying extension, so the bikes nest together even better. Used some plastic hosing over the all-thread to protect the wheels. This was my inspiration for it: http://www.belson.com/Track-Rack

On the other wall where ceiling mounting was less feasible, I used the Rubbermaid Fasttrack system. It was super-easy to install, and I like the flexibility of the different attachments/accessories. The bike attachments work well too, and are easily adjustable along the track (though you must then lock them in place - which ends up taking more space overall than the sliding version).
Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
I might print this out and frame it on the door into my bike room to help contextualize things for people.

Please tell these people they are looking at a small little bike shop trying hard to survive in this dog-eat-dog world controlled by the Big 3.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolly View Post
Nicely done!

I did something similar. But for the hooks, heated & bent chunks of all-thread into hooks w/ varying extension, so the bikes nest together even better. Used some plastic hosing over the all-thread to protect the wheels. This was my inspiration for it: http://www.belson.com/Track-Rack

On the other wall where ceiling mounting was less feasible, I used the Rubbermaid Fasttrack system. It was super-easy to install, and I like the flexibility of the different attachments/accessories. The bike attachments work well too, and are easily adjustable along the track (though you must then lock them in place - which ends up taking more space overall than the sliding version).
That Track-Rack was also my inspiration. Nice idea on the threaded rod. How did you heat the rod? - propane torch? Do you find the plastic hose lasting a long time? The plastic coating on the Park hooks doesn't last very long. I wrapped a piece of an inner tube over the hook, but that little piece of tube somehow always shifts out of place.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Total Fred

$50 folding clothing rack from Bed, Bath and Beyond holds 7 bikes and can be wheeled around as needed. Second bike in from each side is harder to access because outside bike needs to be removed first, but not really a big deal to me.

Tai
Old 05-09-2017, 07:22 PM

This is pretty cool. We are thinking about buying a couple for the shop.

https://www.dero.com/product/track-rack/
Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
$50 folding clothing rack from Bed, Bath and Beyond holds 7 bikes and can be wheeled around as needed. Second bike in from each side is harder to access because outside bike needs to be removed first, but not really a big deal to me.

Tai

Just gave me my solution to my bike storage problems! Thanks!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Love it, weipal, LMAO!!! When they finally put me in an insane asylum, I'm hoping they'll let me decorate the place just like this.

Tags
bike storage