Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 03:55 PM
all slow no go

QR, bolt-on skewer, security skewer input

For my townie I want to replace my QR skewers with bolt-on skewers. I feel like they used to be all over, but with the advent of thru axles, are much less common.

Does anyone have a recommendation or favourite model?
  • 100/135mm hubs
  • Not looking for super lightweight/weight weenie - durability is more important
  • Could be a simple bolt, but could also be a security skewer (pinhead, pitlock, etc)
Old 05-07-2021, 03:58 PM

I can't compare them to any other brand/type, but I use the Velo Orange ones on one bike.

Quality and appearance are nice (if shiny silver is your thing) and they work well enough, just don't lose the Allen key.

Last edited by donevwil; 05-07-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:52 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
For my townie I want to replace my QR skewers with bolt-on skewers. I feel like they used to be all over, but with the advent of thru axles, are much less common.

Does anyone have a recommendation or favourite model?
  • 100/135mm hubs
  • Not looking for super lightweight/weight weenie - durability is more important
  • Could be a simple bolt, but could also be a security skewer (pinhead, pitlock, etc)
I have a pair of these that I got through their Kickstarter campaign. Brand new in box. I'd sell them to you for $40 + freight. PM if interested.

https://nutlock.co/
Old 05-09-2021, 06:53 PM
all slow no go

Does anyone have experience/opinions/recommendations between the major anti-theft options?
  • Hexlox
  • Abus Nutfix
  • Pinhead
  • Pitlock
  • Something simpler like the Velo Orange, Halo, etc
Old 05-09-2021, 07:07 PM

I used pinhead skewers on my bike when I worked as a messenger in San Francisco. I had my wheels stolen exactly 0 times in 9 years.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Does anyone have experience/opinions/recommendations between the major anti-theft options?
  • Hexlox
  • Abus Nutfix
  • Pinhead
  • Pitlock
  • Something simpler like the Velo Orange, Halo, etc
I have the pitlock ones - they’re nice quality and they worked well I guess, as I never lost a wheel, stem or seatpost!

I am not using mine at the moment - let me know if you need them...
Old 05-10-2021, 10:12 AM

I've used THESE for years with good effect. All wheel locks can be defeated - these are cheap and require a special tool and good enough for all but a determined thief.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:31 AM

I bought the Pinhead system over a decade ago cuz I got sick of removing the front wheel when locking up here in Toronto.
Still got my bike.

BUT I realized something just this weekend. I've been using this Reelight for a while as well and I realized this weekend that the light totally compromises the Pinhead skewer. You can loosen the Pinhead by pulling/ rotating the light (quite easily).

Light is now off and I need to figure out where to put it but with a rack and fenders, not too many opportunities.

I have the seat clamp Pinhead as well on this bike. Back then the set was about $60.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2989.jpg (88.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:38 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I bought the Pinhead system over a decade ago cuz I got sick of removing the front wheel when locking up here in Toronto.
Still got my bike.

BUT I realized something just this weekend. I've been using this Reelight for a while as well and I realized this weekend that the light totally compromises the Pinhead skewer. You can loosen the Pinhead by pulling/ rotating the light (quite easily).

Light is now off and I need to figure out where to put it but with a rack and fenders, not too many opportunities.

I have the seat clamp Pinhead as well on this bike. Back then the set was about $60.
Maybe use a longer M5 bolt and a nylon or alloy spacer/standoff and mount to the same hole as the fender and rack?